ADVERTISEMENT

Its time to get serious on gun control

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
The country can no longer grind into gridlock on what to do about school shooters. We need to get serious on gun control. For me, I'd like to see guns get licensed like cars...track the serial numbers and require they be registered when bought/sold.

Regardless, we need to come up with a new classification for rifles, long-guns, with semi-automatic action and limit the sizes of clips available. This would not have stopped yesterday's shooting, but it may have saved a dozen kids or so. In fact, it probably would have. I know that these things are easily modified, but it may just be the hurdle that makes a kid get caught before the shooting starts. Its like putting in a security system for your house, you are only keeping out the dumb crooks as they are easily defeated.

We also need to strengthen background checks and people on certain types of prescription drugs. Again, not a way to stop many, but some. Basically, we need a national database of drug prescriptions, which has long been resisted by both sides to protect privacy. however, we need this to see fight opioids and also to make sure we don't have patients getting conflicting prescriptions from different Drs. for the same patient. I know people go on and off meds, but it is a layer.

I do some work with cyber security....current best practices is a complex layering of anti-hacking security in terms of password processes, hardened data xfer tools, locking down company workstations, and dozens of other measures that act as a matrix that bad guys have to overcome to break the law. Limiting gun violence will have to have the same attention. And, it will help in the war on drugs (prescription and illegal). Both sides will have to stop the madness. Perhaps Trump is the man. And, while people seem upset that he can and does frequently score with the most beautiful women in the world, perhaps this will be a more lasting legacy. He certainly doesn't owe the NRA, GOP of Dems anything.

Reactions: michnittlion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News