ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nolf Grappling

I am not necessarily a Downey fan (kind of indifferent to him)...

But he did look pretty good in disposing of former UFC Champ, Rockhold!

Three round to zero shutout!

It could be that LR is just washed up; or Downey might be a serious sleeper!

Will find out tomorrow, I suppose!

I am not necessarily a Downey fan (kind of indifferent to him)...

But he did look pretty good in disposing of former UFC Champ, Rockhold!

Three round to zero shutout!

It could be that LR is just washed up; or Downey might be a serious sleeper!

Will find out tomorrow, I suppose!
When do Nolf and Kerk grapple?

Is there a link to watch

Kerk just lost by decision. He was never really close to anything offensive but he defended really well against a high level bjj black belt. He fought off multiple triangles, armbars, and got out of a rear naked choke. His opponent had his back and was looking for a choke but Greg was somehow able to reverse the position. The result was never in doubt but the announcers talked up Kerk quite a bit for doing as well as he did with little to no submission grappling experience

Kerk just lost by decision. He was never really close to anything offensive but he defended really well against a high level bjj black belt. He fought off multiple triangles, armbars, and got out of a rear naked choke. His opponent had his back and was looking for a choke but Greg was somehow able to reverse the position. The result was never in doubt but the announcers talked up Kerk quite a bit for doing as well as he did with little to no submission grappling experience
I am not an expert on grappling...

Can you explain why round 1 went 10-9 for Andrew?

Rounds 2 and 3 were more explainable; but other then some failed triangles (none of which looked overly close); he pretty much just scooted on his butt for five minutes doing very little!

Kerk did not do much either; but at least he had top control!

Nolf just got submitted in the 3rd by kneebar. Really fun match. The Ruotolo brothers are my favorite submission grapplers and this match is a perfect example why. He stood and wrestled with Nolf the entire match. Never once pulled guard or went to his butt even though he would have been much more dominant in those positions. Nolf had a few beautiful take downs but the second they hit the mat Jason just let him go. He didn’t want to grapple on the mat at all and I don’t blame him. The Ruotolo’s are straight killers.

I am not an expert on grappling...

Can you explain why round 1 went 10-9 for Andrew?

Rounds 2 and 3 were more explainable; but other then some failed triangles (none of which looked overly close); he pretty much just scooted on his butt for five minutes doing very little!

Kerk did not do much either; but at least he had top control!
First round was definitely the closest and I could see an argument for Kerk but the main criteria is trying to finish the fight or submission attempts. Kerk had top control but was just content to sit in guard. Never passed and even though he defended perfectly he kept getting caught in loose triangles. Those were really the only submission attempts in that round. I think if Kerk attempted to pass and didn’t just sit in his opponents guard he would’ve won the first round but that also would’ve put him in positions where he could’ve been submitted. He played it safe which gave him no real chance to win but did see him survive the entire match

Reactions: Hofman19
Nolf just got submitted in the 3rd by kneebar. Really fun match. The Ruotolo brothers are my favorite submission grapplers and this match is a perfect example why. He stood and wrestled with Nolf the entire match. Never once pulled guard or went to his butt even though he would have been much more dominant in those positions. Nolf had a few beautiful take downs but the second they hit the mat Jason just let him go. He didn’t want to grapple on the mat at all and I don’t blame him. The Ruotolo’s are straight killers.
Tye and Kade are the best of the best and are so young. It's wild how good they are at bjj and grappling. They would have likely been top tier wrestlers. So, so, good.

Reactions: zzs006
First round was definitely the closest and I could see an argument for Kerk but the main criteria is trying to finish the fight or submission attempts. Kerk had top control but was just content to sit in guard. Never passed and even though he defended perfectly he kept getting caught in loose triangles. Those were really the only submission attempts in that round. I think if Kerk attempted to pass and didn’t just sit in his opponents guard he would’ve won the first round but that also would’ve put him in positions where he could’ve been submitted. He played it safe which gave him no real chance to win but did see him survive the entire match
I appreciate the feedback!

Reactions: zzs006
Wow! Kade Ruotolo with the sick submission in the first round. These 2 brothers are something else. There is a good chance they will meet in the finals and it won’t disappoint. They will 100% go after each other. I hope it happens

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
Tye Ruotolo goes down by decision. Pretty boring match overall. Leary just played guard and Ruotolo could never pass. No real submission attempts either way. Big upset though. Tye was the number 1 seed

Tye Ruotolo goes down by decision. Pretty boring match overall. Leary just played guard and Ruotolo could never pass. No real submission attempts either way. Big upset though. Tye was the number 1 seed
Watching that match made me want to see anyone but Leary win the $Million!

The more I watch; the more I am learning and appreciating the subtleties of grappling and understand that from a tactical perspective; he did exactly what he needed to win!

But that having been said; that strategy was boring as hell and quite frankly would make me NOT want to watch again if I was the average casual fan giving the sport a shot to capture my interest!

Reactions: Ski and zzs006
Watching that match made me want to see anyone but Leary win the $Million!

The more I watch; the more I am learning and appreciating the subtleties of grappling and understand that from a tactical perspective; he did exactly what he needed to win!

But that having been said; that strategy was boring as hell and quite frankly would make me NOT want to watch again if I was the average casual fan giving the sport a shot to capture my interest!
On the flip side; Ruotolo and Tackett have styles that would absolutely make me want to watch again!

Last edited:
Again; total neophyte here....

But of the eight respective semifinalists; Andrew Tackett was the one I enjoyed watching the most in his two matches1

Again; total neophyte here....

But of the eight respective semifinalists; Andrew Tackett was the one I enjoyed watching the most in his two matches1
For sure. Him vs Kade Ruotolo in the semis should be a really great and fun match

He got $10k just for showing up.
Yeah..Is that worth potentially getting injured? This isn’t a non contact sport we’re talking about here.

If you had a first team All American basketball player, you think they’d let him participate in a grappling tournament a few months before season?

It worked out, he got his $10k. Just Thank God he didn’t get injured or the tone of this thread would have been worse

Yeah..Is that worth potentially getting injured? This isn’t a non contact sport we’re talking about here.

If you had a first team All American basketball player, you think they’d let him participate in a grappling tournament a few months before season?

It worked out, he got his $10k. Just Thank God he didn’t get injured or the tone of this thread would have been worse
I trust Cael to figure out that balance, and to help his guys devise a strategy to minimize injury risk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT