ADVERTISEMENT

Jax Forrest Thread

I believe Miller went up weight class(s) during the season and still won it all as a freshman. He really impressed me and I am almost as hard as that Iowa guy to Impress :)
Correct. Miller started the year at 144 and moved up to 152 in mid-December.

Also, he was injured at states.

Reading on another board that Jax is now leaning PSU.
What board? Credible at all? That would be huge. 141 is a hole coming up so we need to get either Jax or Blaze. We obviously will be fine if we miss on both but getting at least 1 really solidifies 141

What board? Credible at all? That would be huge. 141 is a hole coming up so we need to get either Jax or Blaze. We obviously will be fine if we miss on both but getting at least 1 really solidifies 141
"I hear Forrest is leaning towards PSU and that could be bad for Okie State fans. Just heard this today."

OSU board by an Iowa fan. Not a bad poster but also not certain he is an insider. Came out of the blue on a Sunday afternoon and unconnected to any discussion. Just dropped into a thread.

"I hear Forrest is leaning towards PSU and that could be bad for Okie State fans. Just heard this today."

OSU board by an Iowa fan. Not a bad poster but also not certain he is an insider. Came out of the blue on a Sunday afternoon and unconnected to any discussion. Just dropped into a thread.
If hearsay is a house of cards, hearsay about how a recruit is “leaning” is a house of tissue.
Most curious if he and Bo pick the same program . . . most delirious if both become Lions.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Sure hope yall are wrong.
Not sure what Blaze is going to do. I know the staff would like for him to be a Lion, plus there was a period they thought he was coming. The lack of a commitment suggests to me he is struggling between wrestling for Cael and family ties (brother).
Jax and Beau are different. Beau is from central PA and has worked out with multiple PSU guys multiple times. I would be shocked if he goes anywhere other than Happy Valley.
Jax moved here from North Carolina and at one point in time had a connection to UNC and then OkieSt. However, central PA has been home for several years now and Jax has experienced the PSU room and training with PSU guys multiple times also. The goal of winning multiple NCAA titles and developing into a multiple time world champion can best be met in a wrestling room he has become comfortable in. Things change, but Jax going anywhere other than what is his now home area would definitely surprise me.

Not sure what Blaze is going to do. I know the staff would like for him to be a Lion, plus there was a period they thought he was coming. The lack of a commitment suggests to me he is struggling between wrestling for Cael and family ties (brother).
Jax and Beau are different. Beau is from central PA and has worked out with multiple PSU guys multiple times. I would be shocked if he goes anywhere other than Happy Valley.
Jax moved here from North Carolina and at one point in time had a connection to UNC and then OkieSt. However, central PA has been home for several years now and Jax has experienced the PSU room and training with PSU guys multiple times also. The goal of winning multiple NCAA titles and developing into a multiple time world champion can best be met in a wrestling room he has become comfortable in. Things change, but Jax going anywhere other than what is his now home area would definitely surprise me.
I’ll just say that promoting state college as an end all be all for wrestling all while landing all the top studs over and over is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Cael is a difference maker in folkstyle and has absolutely dominated the last 15 years, but most of the senior level success can be tied to elite recruiting. Most of his greatest folkstyle coaching jobs aren’t big senior level studs. The bonafide studs like DT are.

Snyder was just fine going to Ohio St. Lee was fine going to Iowa. Gable was just fine at Minny. Could they have experienced more team success at PSU??? Absolutely, but the other side of the coin is that If Iowa or Ohio St had been able to recruit more top tier guys like Spencer and Snyder then they may have won more.

If Blaze, Jax, Bo, Dee etc were all to sign with the Pokes…. You’d see some real parity and senior level success outside of State College, real fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: McScoreley
I said before I think that while Ok State was and remains the early leader for Jax, he does plan to take visits and get a feel of a few schools. He seems one of the most level headed and humble kids so I don’t see him doing that just for fun and clout if he’s ready to commit to Ok State. I don’t know if I believe something happened in the last two weeks that changed something but I do buy Jax will take his time as he should.

Reactions: AtownPoke
I don't think people realize Jaxs Dad is a big part of what they are building at McCort. Do people even know he actually holds the title of head coach there not Bill Bassett?

My impression is that Jax’s main connection to Okie State was Coleman Scott. With Coleman gone, maybe that creates a bit of an opportunity for PSU.
Scott was probably a factor, but Forrest also traveled there to train with Fix. That part hasn't changed.

But Scott's departure perhaps has left the door a little more open than before.

Somebody had to when PIAA suspended Bassett for 2 years.
Yep but what I'm saying is he's ingrained into the community more than folks realize. After the suspension he remained there and will again this year I believe. Hell, he thanked me one time for pointing out to the Tribune Democrat that they always get it wrong when they write about McCort and mention the head coach in their articles. To be honest, I don't even think the people at Flo know because they get it wrong too. Lol

Last edited:
My impression is that Jax’s main connection to Okie State was Coleman Scott. With Coleman gone, maybe that creates a bit of an opportunity for PSU.
When OSU hired Taylor, and Coleman wasn't retained in some role, it changed the dynamics of Jax recruitment. Heard it from a local that knows some stuff from other side of the state.

I’ll just say that promoting state college as an end all be all for wrestling all while landing all the top studs over and over is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Cael is a difference maker in folkstyle and has absolutely dominated the last 15 years, but most of the senior level success can be tied to elite recruiting. Most of his greatest folkstyle coaching jobs aren’t big senior level studs. The bonafide studs like DT are.

Snyder was just fine going to Ohio St. Lee was fine going to Iowa. Gable was just fine at Minny. Could they have experienced more team success at PSU??? Absolutely, but the other side of the coin is that If Iowa or Ohio St had been able to recruit more top tier guys like Spencer and Snyder then they may have won more.

If Blaze, Jax, Bo, Dee etc were all to sign with the Pokes…. You’d see some real parity and senior level success outside of State College, real fast.
Oh man, so much to respond to. First, senior level successes. Yes, Snyder did well while training at Ohio State but long before he became a member of the NLWC he would show up at PSU and train for multiple weeks at a time.
The NLWC did dominate the Olympic Trials and a few of their successful wrestlers were recruited to Penn State from other schools. Namely Snyder, Dake and Gilman. However, PSU had 5 of 12 wrestlers wrestling in the best of 3 finals. Success is the number 1 recruiting tool Penn State has, at the senior level as well as at the college level.

As far as the college program, very elite kids have gone to other schools not named Penn State.

Just a few comparisons:
Cenzo choose to go to Penn State and Marinelli went to Iowa. One wrestled in 3 finals (in 3 opportunities, winning 2) and one wrestled in one semi-final.
Megaloudis wrestled at PSU and Gilman wrestled at Iowa. One won a title, the other did not.
Nolf went to PSU and won 3 titles with 4 finals appearances while Kemerer wrestled at Iowa and had a single runner-up and Smith wrestled for his dad and never wrestled in a championship final.
More currently Levi has a championship and 2 finals appearances. Shapiro has a quarter-final loss and 3rd place finish.

It isn't just Penn State getting all of the best recruits. It is Penn State's best recruits out perform other recruits. Again, success is the number one recruiting tool Penn State has.

Remembering tOSU has won multiple recruiting titles and PSU just continues to plow the Bucks under I would be very comfortable making this guess: if Blaze, Jax, Bo and Dee all sign with and wrestle for the Pokes a corresponding collective from Penn State will out perform that impressive Cowboy grouping at the college level and the senior level.

Oh man, so much to respond to. First, senior level successes. Yes, Snyder did well while training at Ohio State but long before he became a member of the NLWC he would show up at PSU and train for multiple weeks at a time.
The NLWC did dominate the Olympic Trials and a few of their successful wrestlers were recruited to Penn State from other schools. Namely Snyder, Dake and Gilman. However, PSU had 5 of 12 wrestlers wrestling in the best of 3 finals. Success is the number 1 recruiting tool Penn State has, at the senior level as well as at the college level.

As far as the college program, very elite kids have gone to other schools not named Penn State.

Just a few comparisons:
Cenzo choose to go to Penn State and Marinelli went to Iowa. One wrestled in 3 finals (in 3 opportunities, winning 2) and one wrestled in one semi-final.
Megaloudis wrestled at PSU and Gilman wrestled at Iowa. One won a title, the other did not.
Nolf went to PSU and won 3 titles with 4 finals appearances while Kemerer wrestled at Iowa and had a single runner-up and Smith wrestled for his dad and never wrestled in a championship final.
More currently Levi has a championship and 2 finals appearances. Shapiro has a quarter-final loss and 3rd place finish.

It isn't just Penn State getting all of the best recruits. It is Penn State's best recruits out perform other recruits. Again, success is the number one recruiting tool Penn State has.

Remembering tOSU has won multiple recruiting titles and PSU just continues to plow the Bucks under I would be very comfortable making this guess: if Blaze, Jax, Bo and Dee all sign with and wrestle for the Pokes a corresponding collective from Penn State will out perform that impressive Cowboy grouping at the college level and the senior level.
I think you missed my point a bit. I’m in full agreeance with you about Folkstyle and Caels coaching / dominance. I also agree about what the NLWC offers at this point but that’s just not the same thing as the PSU wrestling room. NLWC is what it is because of who’s there. That’s mobile.

My point was that when you’re talking about high school kids who are already beating past ncaa champs and pushing for world team spots as sophmores… we’re not talking about normal studs. That’s why I picked Lee and Snyder out instead of some of the other guys you mentioned. Those guys were on a track from the word go and everyone knew it. I’m not taking anything away from PSU. I’m just saying some kids don’t need PSU to be that good but when they go to PSU it gets rolled in with PSU being PSU. That’s the self fulfilling prophecy part

I also don’t really compare anything Cael did pre 2015 to post 2015. Completely different dynamics once everyone fully realized what he had built. Somewhere in there was when the gears really shifted and the avalanche broke loose. That’s why the snowball is so dang big and it’s moving so fast at this point imo.

This is a weird comparison. Shapiro finished third as a true freshman, Haines finished second as a true freshman. Let Shapiro wrestle his second year before you compare the start of their careers.

The underlying premise to this post is that "Cael can't coach, he can only recruit". You should go back and read the Iowa board from 2011 through 2022. Were you posting there during this time?

Reactions: raslen007
This is a weird comparison. Shapiro finished third as a true freshman, Haines finished second as a true freshman. Let Shapiro wrestle his second year before you compare the start of their careers.
If I was the Cornell coach, I would be a little worried about whether or not Shapiro can finish a second or third year. A few more concussions like he had his freshman year and someone is going to tell him he needs to stop.

The NCAA semi-final success percentage is a top indicator that PSU is doing something right- it's impossible to say that Penn State doesn't prepare its wrestlers to win at the highest levels based on that record. I assume wrestlers entering the semis are all elite and talented, and any given wrestler should have a 50% chance of making the finals. I forget what the exact record is, but PSU is more like 90% success in the semis.

You guys are all making good points but there is still a big question that needs answered. How come we still need 8 SCORING WRESTLERS TO WIN?????????
PS - AtownPoke, this post was mainly for you. Just a heads up, you'll sometimes see posts on this board that don't make a lot of logical sense unless you've been on here for a long time. We used to have a couple of characters that would post some pretty outrageous things that I thought were pretty amusing. In particular was a guy who went by the name Spyker. He seems to have disappeared, but maybe he's posting under a new name. Either way, I wish he would come back again because his posts were always entertaining.

The underlying premise to this post is that "Cael can't coach, he can only recruit". You should go back and read the Iowa board from 2011 through 2022. Were you posting there during this time?
It absolutely is not. I can promise you that.

PS - AtownPoke, this post was mainly for you. Just a heads up, you'll sometimes see posts on this board that don't make a lot of logical sense unless you've been on here for a long time. We used to have a couple of characters that would post some pretty outrageous things that I thought were pretty amusing. In particular was a guy who went by the name Spyker. He seems to have disappeared, but maybe he's posting under a new name. Either way, I wish he would come back again because his posts were always entertaining.
So you’re saying what I posted was outrageous lol? I probably deserve that considering the audience 🤣

Just clarify I’m saying I shouldn’t expect to see this audience getting behind what I was saying.

Similar to an Iowa fan getting on 34 and saying Dee could do as good or better if he didn’t go to OSU

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
I believe Spyker is alive and well. He has transitioned to a spicy new handle and a new board.

If I was the Cornell coach, I would be a little worried about whether or not Shapiro can finish a second or third year. A few more concussions like he had his freshman year and someone is going to tell him he needs to stop.
No doubt but it’s hard to prevent concussions in competition, especially since he seems to be more prone to them.

Sure....but many had Shapiro winning the 2024 title before he even stepped onto a college mat. Those same folks had Levi as a good recruit with a chance to make noise down the road, but certainly not a finalist in year 1.

Do we have any substantiation of Shapiro ever having a concussion, better than the Cornell poster telling us Grey let him wrestle several matches at CKLV after getting his bell rung?

Reactions: dicemen99
The comparison works. Levi had a helluva quarter-final match as a freshman and found a way to win. Shapiro lost his quarter-final match by a point to a kid he dominated in the 3rd place match. Penn State kids have an extraordinarily high success rate in the QF and SF and that isn't simply because they are always the better recruits.

So you’re saying what I posted was outrageous lol? I probably deserve that considering the audience 🤣
I do not believe anybody was saying you posted anything outrageous. It was a reference to the need for "8 scoring wrestlers" and the fact this board has multiple inside jokes.

Reactions: AtownPoke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT