ADVERTISEMENT

Journey Brown 100m Video

? I don't get it.

The live-call announcer at the meet and on the video says that he thought the 4-hole, Elliott jumped via flinch; however, the flinch was extremely slight and because his feet did not leave the blocks early, nor did his hands/fingers leave the surface early, I think it was properly ignored. The other thing I didn't get was that the electronic timer originally showed the time at 10.41, but they reported it at 10.44 and then adjusted it on review to 10.43.

Last edited:
? I don't get it.

Kid in next lane had a lot of movement in the blocks. Not sure if the rules in PIAA now and whether you are DQ with one false start. I would not have been surprised if the movement resulted in a false start but can see it either way. Shocked kids on each side of him did not jump.

Reactions: LionJim
Also very impressed by how well-spoken, grounded and humble Journey is....his parents must be very proud of him as he carries himself very well with dignity and class. Did you see how gracious he was to his fellow competitors after the race? The kid clearly has "special" talent, but he is also special in the way he carries it - you can really see why Coach Franklin always says that Journey reminds him of Saquon whenever he speaks about him. Two really special athletes that have not let it go to their heads and have remained grateful, not narcissistic, about all the gifts they have been given and are equally special people apparently.

Reactions: step.eng69
amazing in the rain. Kid is a a great athlete. We have a really good RB coming in next year, if the verbal commits hold. So this kid could play CB, S or the slot.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Nits RS Sanders and play Brown so he could return kicks. then RS Brown in 2018 and play Slade in KR position.

Ya he is better built then I thought. I can see him playing at 215-220 lbs in college.

Yep, JB definitely has already spent some time in the weight room.

5'11", 194 lbs listed on 247, about the same size as Sanders when he was coming to PSU. Barkley will show him how to add 15 pounds to his lower body and become a tackle breaking machine.....

Another great candidate for a KO returner. But we really need a special returner so he'll have to show that he is the guy...... but nice to have more team speed.

Last edited:
The live-call announcer at the meet and on the video says that he thought the 4-hole, Elliott jumped via flinch; however, the flinch was extremely slight and because his feet did not leave the blocks early, nor did his hands/fingers leave the surface early, I think it was properly ignored. The other thing I didn't get was that the electronic timer originally showed the time at 10.41, but they reported it at 10.44 and then adjusted it on review to 10.43.

You interpretation of what constitutes a false start would be correct if the IAAF definition were rigorously followed at the HS level, but it isn't (nor is it by the NCAA). As it is, if the starter saw movement by runners in the blocks he should have called them up. But since many starters employed by high school federations are doddering ninnies, who knows......

FAT devices are not foolproof. Quality varies and a lot of the stuff used at the high school level is simply junk. What does work flawlessly in almost all cases is the photo finish clock that is triggered by the starters gun. So if a meet is using less than the best, they simply go to the video tape. Sounds like that's what was done at the PIAA championship.

You interpretation of what constitutes a false start would be correct if the IAAF definition were rigorously followed at the HS level, but it isn't (nor is it by the NCAA). As it is, if the starter saw movement by runners in the blocks he should have called them up. But since many starters employed by high school federations are doddering ninnies, who knows......

FAT devices are not foolproof. Quality varies and a lot of the stuff used at the high school level is simply junk. What does work flawlessly in almost all cases is the photo finish clock that is triggered by the starters gun. So if a meet is using less than the best, they simply go to the video tape. Sounds like that's what was done at the PIAA championship.

The OP's embedded video showed the time as 10.41 in its running clock graphic. I thought most Fully-Automated Timing Systems (FAT) were tied to the Starting Gun for triggering and lasers at the finish line (I think many high schools use Lynx Video & FAT Systems, but this was held at Shippensburg State U, so who knows). What do you think the winning time shown in video, 10.41, was tied to, the Starting Gun? I'm assuming the FAT System recorded the original 10.44 announced as winning time.

Reactions: anacreon3
The OP's embedded video showed the time as 10.41 in its running clock graphic. I thought most Fully-Automated Timing Systems (FAT) were tied to the Starting Gun for triggering and lasers at the finish line (I think many high schools use Lynx Video & FAT Systems, but this was held at Shippensburg State U, so who knows). What do you think the winning time shown in video, 10.41, was tied to, the Starting Gun? I'm assuming the FAT System recorded the original 10.44 announced as winning time.

I'd like to know that too. I think we're talking about 3 different finish times in one 10 second sprint. The clock 10:41, the announced finish 10:44, and the settled finish time of 10:43 (the new record).

A good starter would have picked up the flinching and got them up for another trip into the blocks. Kid was rocking and rolling all over the place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT