ADVERTISEMENT

Journeymen Collegiate Classic, Nov. 12 Bethlehem Freedom High

As far as wrestlers going as attached or unattached, I don’t think Penn State would put a guy on the participation list if he was going to a tournament unattached.

I hope Facundo and Barr stay at Penn State for their whole careers, but I also I’m not gonna sweat if somebody transfers. Especially if the guy gets beat out by someone else on the roster.

These sort of situations were more tricky in the non-portal era, but Penn State can fill any weight, any off-season it wants. Cael has to turn kids away, not be looking for them.

It’s why I am not concerned about 197 next year.
Anyone know if Byers will be on the call?

I thought it was a round robbin with no cross over, if that is correct they will not since they are in different pools. I would love to be wrong.
I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that there would be crossover. I can’t find it anywhere official, but I did find where Lehigh’s media release states:

“The Journeymen Collegiate Classic will once again feature a tournament-style round-robin format. Wrestlers will compete in 6-8 man round robin brackets that will be followed by crossover matches.”

Based on the way the pools are set up, my assumption is that the winners of pools A will wrestle the winners of pools B, the winners of pools C will wrestle the winners of pool D, etc. Pools A & B won’t wrestle pools C & D. Again, all assumptions here.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
I've been burned by flo too many times. I've said never again twice now. Having said that, third times a charm? I just can't stay away from watching 🤼‍♀️. Can anybody confirm the "flo bowling " trick still works? I'm only giving them 30 bucks and not a penny more. 😤
You do not need to do that trick anymore. There will be something small that says switch plan as it always defaults to the yearly one.

Reactions: sneedram55
Can't wait for Sunday!!

Happy to see all the starters going except Nagao.

I expect each starter to get 3 matches (maybe 2). Most interested to see how Howard looks health wise, followed by the newest killer Mitchell Messenbrink. I would have also liked to seen McHenry but can't have everything.

141 should have some good early-season match-ups for Bartlett with Composto, Cornella, and Vasquez in his pool. Vito, McGonagle, and Colaiocco at 133 should be good. Interested to see how Shapiro does against Teemer. The rest of our guys aren't going to have much of an issue, but it'll be good to knock the rust off. Hidlay and Beard at 197 would be worth watching.

best 1st round match:

McGonagle-Crookham for the spot.

Could see Mcgonagle at the All Star -then not start for Lehigh.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that there would be crossover. I can’t find it anywhere official, but I did find where Lehigh’s media release states:

“The Journeymen Collegiate Classic will once again feature a tournament-style round-robin format. Wrestlers will compete in 6-8 man round robin brackets that will be followed by crossover matches.”

Based on the way the pools are set up, my assumption is that the winners of pools A will wrestle the winners of pools B, the winners of pools C will wrestle the winners of pool D, etc. Pools A & B won’t wrestle pools C & D. Again, all assumptions here.
Cael also mentioned crossover during his press conference .

He said to expect 2 or 3 matches , probably 3 for each wrestler.

So maybe we see something like Shapiro beat teemer followed by a Levi beats Shapiro in a cross over match. Who knows …

Chiming in with the match I most want to see i gotta go with Howard vs anybody . We’ve waited long enough .

6 wrestlers

wrestle 2 in pool and then crossover with similar finish on other side.

1, 4, 5 wrestle
2, 3, 4 wrestle

Crossover

Reactions: Bosox2004
You are correct in your assessment re: ORS.

Think that decision has been made.

As for Facundo, I don’t think what he does has any affect on Barr at all.
Thanks @CSauertiegPSU. This is probably stating the obvious, but…
Cael said we have 4 wrestlers that will compete for 65, including Alex. But Alex also realizes if he competes in this tourney he uses a year of eligibility this year. That would indicate that MM must already be the assumed starter, and Alex doesn’t think he can dislodge him.

Reactions: Ski
If we get solid performances by Robbie and Mitchell and everyone comes out of this tourney healthy…this team is off to the races.

Then we get Nagao in a couple weeks, holy smokes.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
6 wrestlers

1, 4, 5 wrestle
2, 3, 4 wrestle

Crossover
That makes sense especially when you see how they listed the wrestlers in the article from above . Was wondering why they didn’t have the order straight by seeding in each pool .

Can I assume in a pool of 4 wrestlers like 157E and 157F there is no crossover and the three matches are all within the same pool . That is what I remember from last year but heck it was a year ago so …

That makes sense especially when you see how they listed the wrestlers in the article from above . Was wondering why they didn’t have the order straight by seeding in each pool .

Can I assume in a pool of 4 wrestlers like 157E and 157F there is no crossover and the three matches are all within the same pool . That is what I remember from last year but heck it was a year ago so …
correct

A little help here guys, just to interpret this news correctly. This tourney counts as an official 'attached' event correct?

If so, then the decision has been made, Alex is taking the Oly RS. I guess we can assume there was a wrestleoff(s) and the result complelling?

Only the'true' freshman like Kasak can go and use this as one of their 5. Neither MM or AF have that luxury.

Truth be told, as jazzed as I am for the prospect of watching MM, and a storybook March at 165, I was hoping for Alex. I think last year was an aberration. I prefer harmony and greatness in the room over, seeking an elusive points record, at the expense of culture. If anyone can manage this it's Cael for sure. I am both bummed and elated, but my fingers are now crossed.

I really hope Alex is fully committed to the year off, and just killing it at 174 next year and beyond. If this ruffles his feathers or Mich tosses a lot of money around once again this off season, both he and his best friend Barr could be a painful package deal, returning to their roots in Michigan. Don't discount the fact that Barr has to think about Ryder on his heals at 184. The Portal can cut both ways.
Very possible that down the road Barr and Ryder could split 174 and 184. If I had to guess, it would be Ryder at 174 and Barr at 184. Ryder is already pretty jacked and may be pretty much fully grown. Plus, he wrestled up a weight class his last HS season (2022-23) and I believe went at 80 kg at U17s in spring 2023.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
6 wrestlers

1, 4, 5 wrestle
2, 3, 4 wrestle

Crossover
Based on that here is what I'll be looking at Sunday:

Pretty solid A group with Ungar, Hohman, Diakomihalis on one side and Miller, Seymour, Sotelo on another. All are at least NQ types

Howard in the B group is fine. I'm sure many would like to see him get tested, but I'd rather him not start with a meat grinder right off the bat, given the injury history. A couple of warm-ups, then I think he probably sees true FR Max Gallagher in the crossover, who I bet will push Miller this year.

Steen and Davis both on the same side in the C group - defacto wrestle-off in case of Howard injury, I hope. If one of them loses in the RR it would be very disappointing.

Top side of A has Vito and then Colaiocco and Leiphart. Bottom has the Crookham McGonigal wrestle-off.

Nice to see Shunk in B, I'd hope he wins his mini-RR, then will get a solid opponent in the crossover.

Beau gets Vasquez and Frinzi and should cruise to the crossover where he will be tested by any of the three that emerge - Composto, Cornella or Evans. Evans has two tough matches but he's capable.

Kasak in B gets Hoyle and should crossover to Hines which is a very good test match. Surprised Hines is in this group with Frinzi in A, but there was likely some pool manipulation unless Dante has gotten way better on his feet in his short time at Lehigh. Hines is a little Jeckyll/Hyde but very talented.

Shane and Parco were obviously separated because of the All-Star Classic. Shayne has light work.

Same as 49, Levi and Teemer separated because of the ASC. Unfortunately for fans, Teemer gets Shapiro. But I'm ok with it - no need for Shapiro to get first hand experience of Haines strength until he lays it on him in the NCAA finals.

No ORS for MM, so I guess he is the guy. Cael breaking him easy keeping him away from Ramirez - not terrible, he'll get plenty of good opponents in the 2nd semester. Looking forward to him getting 3 TFs here.

Matt Lee and Bearclaw down in D, setting up what could be a wrestle-off for some first semester duals. Cael may play it close-to-the-vest with MM for a while.

Carter with light work. Dunbar down in D

Not much for Truax, I guess we will see about all these predictions I see about James Rowley getting better this year @smalls103

Donovan in B, gets the Lehigh starter in Rogers and then maybe Tony in the crossover

Barr in C, hopefully has a good day - he should.

Another separation and I'm guessing Hidlay got Beard because we are dueling Lehigh in a few weeks - makes sense. Light work for Aaron.

No Cochran?

Kerk with Trephan and Nate Taylor - not bad, but not going to be tested of course.

Based on that here is what I'll be looking at Sunday:

Pretty solid A group with Ungar, Hohman, Diakomihalis on one side and Miller, Seymour, Sotelo on another. All are at least NQ types

Howard in the B group is fine. I'm sure many would like to see him get tested, but I'd rather him not start with a meat grinder right off the bat, given the injury history. A couple of warm-ups, then I think he probably sees true FR Max Gallagher in the crossover, who I bet will push Miller this year.

Steen and Davis both on the same side in the C group - defacto wrestle-off in case of Howard injury, I hope. If one of them loses in the RR it would be very disappointing.

Top side of A has Vito and then Colaiocco and Leiphart. Bottom has the Crookham McGonigal wrestle-off.

Nice to see Shunk in B, I'd hope he wins his mini-RR, then will get a solid opponent in the crossover.

Beau gets Vasquez and Frinzi and should cruise to the crossover where he will be tested by any of the three that emerge - Composto, Cornella or Evans. Evans has two tough matches but he's capable.

Kasak in B gets Hoyle and should crossover to Hines which is a very good test match. Surprised Hines is in this group with Frinzi in A, but there was likely some pool manipulation unless Dante has gotten way better on his feet in his short time at Lehigh. Hines is a little Jeckyll/Hyde but very talented.

Shane and Parco were obviously separated because of the All-Star Classic. Shayne has light work.

Same as 49, Levi and Teemer separated because of the ASC. Unfortunately for fans, Teemer gets Shapiro. But I'm ok with it - no need for Shapiro to get first hand experience of Haines strength until he lays it on him in the NCAA finals.

No ORS for MM, so I guess he is the guy. Cael breaking him easy keeping him away from Ramirez - not terrible, he'll get plenty of good opponents in the 2nd semester. Looking forward to him getting 3 TFs here.

Matt Lee and Bearclaw down in D, setting up what could be a wrestle-off for some first semester duals. Cael may play it close-to-the-vest with MM for a while.

Carter with light work. Dunbar down in D

Not much for Truax, I guess we will see about all these predictions I see about James Rowley getting better this year @smalls103

Donovan in B, gets the Lehigh starter in Rogers and then maybe Tony in the crossover

Barr in C, hopefully has a good day - he should.

Another separation and I'm guessing Hidlay got Beard because we are dueling Lehigh in a few weeks - makes sense. Light work for Aaron.

No Cochran?

Kerk with Trephan and Nate Taylor - not bad, but not going to be tested of course.
Thanks for breakdown on how these mini brackets work and who should see who.

What do you mean by Cael May play it close to vest with MM?

does anybody know if we're allowed to exit and reenter the venue? i'm assuming there won't be food available for purchase but i'd love to be corrected on that one

Thanks for breakdown on how these mini brackets work and who should see who.

What do you mean by Cael May play it close to vest with MM?
I believe what he said the other day about it being wide open. Even though we discount Matt Lee and Bearclaw, I don't think Carl does and we may see all of them take the mat for us until the second semester.

I may be wrong but I don't think the starter is decided in Caels mind right now and while MM will likely earn it, the other guys have earned an opportunity to show what they can do as well.

Levi wasn't any worse for wear having Bearclaw take a bunch of early duels last year. In fact he may have benefited from it. You may see the same with MM. Although he is not a true FR, he only wrestled 2 matches last year and may benefit from a ramp up.

does anybody know if we're allowed to exit and reenter the venue? i'm assuming there won't be food available for purchase but i'd love to be corrected on that one
I can't imagine we won't be. It's a HS gym.

I would guess that they have concessions, but plenty of good places to eat close if you leave.

Reactions: psumacw
6 wrestlers

1, 4, 5 wrestle
2, 3, 4 wrestle

Crossover
It is strange bc last year there did not appear to be a crossover. Each group wrestled a round robin. But there were only 4 in each group

Reactions: vhsalum
Last year there were concessions and tables and chairs outside the gym. Food was adequate for the purpose, imo. There may have been some small breaks in the action, but my recollection isn't clear on the point.

Reactions: dicemen99
I can't imagine we won't be. It's a HS gym.

I would guess that they have concessions, but plenty of good places to eat close if you leave.

awesome. do i post here for those recommendations or do i need to go over to the travel thread?

I believe what he said the other day about it being wide open. Even though we discount Matt Lee and Bearclaw, I don't think Carl does and we may see all of them take the mat for us until the second semester.

I may be wrong but I don't think the starter is decided in Caels mind right now and while MM will likely earn it, the other guys have earned an opportunity to show what they can do as well.

Levi wasn't any worse for wear having Bearclaw take a bunch of early duels last year. In fact he may have benefited from it. You may see the same with MM. Although he is not a true FR, he only wrestled 2 matches last year and may benefit from a ramp up.
MM a different level than Bearclawand Matt Lee and that’s no disrespect to them. MM is a top 3 guy at 165.

MM gonna want to get as much wrestling in as he can this year so I don’t see any type of rotation

awesome. do i post here for those recommendations or do i need to go over to the travel thread?
A couple I'll recommend:

Mitzi's Table - the closest
The Bayou
Apollo Grill

Check them out and see what suits your taste. Giving recommendations based on food. If you just want to find a bar there are plenty to pick from.

Reactions: psumacw
MM a different level than Bearclawand Matt Lee and that’s no disrespect to them. MM is a top 3 guy at 165.

MM gonna want to get as much wrestling in as he can this year so I don’t see any type of rotation
Well, that has yet to be proven on a college folkstyle mat. It may well turn out to be true but there's plenty of time for that to play out.

Highly doubtful to me that Cael or MM feel like an early season dual rotation would negatively impact MM in terms of mat time.

But again, I'm just speculating. I could be wrong and you could be right. Mind you, I'm not disagreeing that MM could end up being a top 3 guy this year, just disagreeing that a few duals in November/December mean anything, and that MM has proven he is a far superior NCAA wrestler yet.

Going by Cael's history, he is very content to not rush to judgement and to let things play out in terms of being ready to AA at NCAAs. I don't think it's random that MM is not in Ramirez' pool this weekend.

Reactions: pish69
Agreed - you guys really could challenge the points record.
umbrella middle finger GIF

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups

• Haha
Reactions: Ambrowns and Ski
A couple I'll recommend:

Mitzi's Table - the closest
The Bayou
Apollo Grill

Check them out and see what suits your taste. Giving recommendations based on food. If you just want to find a bar there are plenty to pick from.
Dissent on The Bayou, IMO not worth the prices. Tastes may vary, but understand that the $29 shrimp/grits (!) was 5 small shrimp.

Some other options:
- Anatolia Kitchen: Turkish, 5 min W
- Syriana Grill: Syrian, 15 min SW -- tiny hole in the wall place that probably doesn't get a lot of Gringos. They treated me very well.
- Bethlehem Brew Works: 10-15 min SW
- Aqui Es: Mex, 10 min SW
- La Kang: Thai, 10 min E (Palmer Twp) or 15 min S (Hellertown)
- La Bicicleta Arepa Bar: Venezuelan, 15-20 min SW

Some of these may deliver via DoorDash or GrubHub or the like. If you go this route, strongly recommend the arepa shop (assuming within delivery range) -- essentially sandwiches, don't need fork/knife/table, plus it's really good.

For those traveling via the Turnpike, or from Harrisburg, Reading, or Lancaster: Allentown Costco has possibly the cheapest gas in the state. The nearby Mex place (Casa Catrina) is excellent.

Last edited:
Dissent on The Bayou, IMO not worth the prices. Tastes may vary, but understand that the $29 shrimp/grits (!) was 5 small shrimp.

Some other options:
- Syriana Grill: Syrian, 15 min SW -- tiny hole in the wall place that probably doesn't get a lot of Gringos. They treated me very well.

Some of these may deliver via DoorDash or GrubHub or the like. If you go this route, strongly recommend the arepa shop (assuming within delivery range) -- essentially sandwiches, don't need fork/knife/table, plus it's really good.

For those traveling via the Turnpike, or from Harrisburg, Reading, or Lancaster: Allentown Costco has possibly the cheapest gas in the state. The nearby Mex place (Casa Catrina) is excellent.
Damn. You don't pay that much for shrimp and grits down in Charleston.

God i could go for some good ol southern grits. I really dont know many people in my area that even eat grits. I grew to love them as a kid when i'd stay with family in N.C. who are Lumbee Indian. Their meals were incredible.

Reactions: doublehaul
Damn. You don't pay that much for shrimp and grits down in Charleston.
I've seen it for $25 at a steakhouse in Huntsville. Which also strikes me as high, but I probably need to recalibrate after the past 3 years of inflation.

Reactions: Hotshoe

Some other options:

Point taken on the Bayou, I would say many of the portions are pretty small there. Last time I was there was still pandemic-esque and prices were high, but not at current levels. Still, I'm partial to their menu and it has a good atmosphere.

Reactions: El-Jefe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT