Just for fun...

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
An example of "things that don't add up" when it comes to green energy.

On the one hand, the Spanish wind energy association suggests that wind power is now the plurality source of Spain's electricity:

https://www.evwind.es/2022/04/10/wi...f-nuclear-21-percent-and-gas-17-percent/85589

On the other hand, the neutral OECD's Our World in Data page indicates that wind power accounts for 10% of Spain's electricity, and that good old fashioned oil accounts for better than 40% and gas for about 20%.

Flat-out lying is great and everything, especially in a country whose greatest literary work revolves around tilting at windmills.

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
An example of "things that don't add up" when it comes to green energy.

On the one hand, the Spanish wind energy association suggests that wind power is now the plurality source of Spain's electricity:

https://www.evwind.es/2022/04/10/wi...f-nuclear-21-percent-and-gas-17-percent/85589

On the other hand, the neutral OECD's Our World in Data page indicates that wind power accounts for 10% of Spain's electricity, and that good old fashioned oil accounts for better than 40% and gas for about 20%.

Flat-out lying is great and everything, especially in a country whose greatest literary work revolves around tilting at windmills.

I guess my question is what is the oil used for?

Could be heating and cooking.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Did you ever do business with European companies? From my experience, there is a lot of slimy stuff that goes on. One VP of sales in Italy was selling product to his own distributor who marked it and resold it to customers. Millions of dollars....... He was a greasy guy too. Leather jackets, gold chains, the shoes..... He looked the part.

I had a French guy trying to get me to agree on price fixing...... I had to explain that we avoid that here in the USA (most anyway).

Reactions: dailybuck777

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
Did you ever do business with European companies? From my experience, there is a lot of slimy stuff that goes on. One VP of sales in Italy was selling product to his own distributor who marked it and resold it to customers. Millions of dollars....... He was a greasy guy too. Leather jackets, gold chains, the shoes..... He looked the part.

I had a French guy trying to get me to agree on price fixing...... I had to explain that we avoid that here in the USA (most anyway).
totally. Lots of back room stuff, particular with distributors. Some time ago, we were doing an fcpa investigation once in "country x", and the company's european head of legal was participating in the interviews with us. When we came out of an interview after we heard what the country x personnel had done, he launched into a rant about "how we should have never let those country x ****ers into the EU because they're corrupt."

DJ Spanky

Jul 25, 2001
A very large company I used to work for had a division in Ireland: nothing, and I mean nothing, got done before 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

Worked for an insurance firm that made a ton of money off of it's ability to utilize reinsurance across multiple countries, thereby avoiding paying almost any taxes on the revenue.

Reactions: bourbon n blues