ADVERTISEMENT

Just Re-Watched Nevills vs. Snyder....

PSUBluebird

Oct 27, 2007
I'm very high on Nevills but poor sob looked like a turtle out there. There's Snyder (obviously) and everyone else. During Cael's post match interview, while he was subtly political, I had impression he wasn't that happy with Nick's performance. I, too, thought he could have been a little bit better defensively to slow down some of Snyder's attacks. He seemed to present his legs way too easily during that match. Also, I seemed to notice staff (under Cunningham's watchful eye) working on some drills with Nick in the background during Cael's interview.

I'm not sure what he can do next time(s) but work on better hands defense.

Snyder got to Nevills' ankle way too easily, but Snyder does that to most everyone. A couple times it appeared that Nick was real surprised by Snyder's quickness.

I'm very high on Nevills but poor sob looked like a turtle out there. There's Snyder (obviously) and everyone else. During Cael's post match interview, while he was subtly political, I had impression he wasn't that happy with Nick's performance. I, too, thought he could have been a little bit better defensively to slow down some of Snyder's attacks. He seemed to present his legs way too easily during that match. Also, I seemed to notice staff (under Cunningham's watchful eye) working on some drills with Nick in the background during Cael's interview.

I'm not sure what he can do next time(s) but work on better hands defense.
Take away Snyders ankle picks you can hang with him....He is very quick to your ankles...Been that way since High School....Nick has to be STRONGER IN THE MIND !!!! no matter who is in front of him....

I for one find it hard to judge any other HWT by their performance against Kyle Snyder. I'm just happy as hell that Nick is healthy and has been progressing nicely!
He's close enough to be able to stand beside Snyder on the podium come March and that is a place I could live with and Nick should be proud to be there.

That said, I'd like to see what Nick could have done on top! Perhaps if they face off again soon he will take top just to find out.

Reactions: Dwayne_Johnson33
Nick should absolutely take top next time against Snyder

In all honesty, I was more impressed with the Rutgers HWTs effort against Snyder. Yes he got TFd, he was gassed in the 3rd. This isn't a knock against Nick, But for the first 2 periods he did a better job of fighting and countering Snyder than Nick did IMO

Last edited:
Take away Snyders ankle picks you can hang with him....He is very quick to your ankles...Been that way since High School....Nick has to be STRONGER IN THE MIND !!!! no matter who is in front of him....

Not his freshman year. He kind of looked like just an above avg guy. He didn't really start dominating and getting to low ankles until WTT and Worlds. He was like another guy in just a few months and hasn't looked back.

Not his freshman year. He kind of looked like just an above avg guy. He didn't really start dominating and getting to low ankles until WTT and Worlds. He was like another guy in just a few months and hasn't looked back.

Huh? He was NCAA runner-up his frosh year. That is just an above average guy to you? Not to mention his accomplishments in high school including a World Junior title.

Reactions: Dwayne_Johnson33
Huh? He was NCAA runner-up his frosh year. That is just an above average guy to you? Not to mention his accomplishments in high school including a World Junior title.

Average guys finish third.

...Snyder lost to McIntosh 4-1 in the BIG10 finals at 197# ...
...Morgan rode him for more than a period...
...in the NCAAs Morgan was upset early so they did not meet....

If you watched him wrestle his freshman year in college, there was not a lot of shooting...just a lot of upper body pummeling like a lot of guys at that weight....mixed in with a shot or two. Nate Burak beat him. Also, if you look at his results, he only had one TF that year...he did not score a lot of points because he did not shoot a lot.

Now, I love Burak but the March 2015
version of Snyder beat him 3-2 at B1G...the August version would have destroyed him.

Last edited:
Reactions: tikk10 and Grass
If you watched him wrestle his freshman year in college, there was not a lot of shooting...just a lot of upper body pummeling like a lot of guys at that weight....mixed in with a shot or two. Nate Burak beat him. Also, if you look at his results, he only had one TF that year...he did not score a lot of points because he did not shoot a lot.

Now, I love Burak but the March 2015
version of Snyder beat him 3-2 at B1G...the August version would have destroyed him.

The August version wasn't cutting to 197. Obviously he improved but you act like he was a stiff before that summer. No idea why you insist on making that argument.

The August version wasn't cutting to 197. Obviously he improved but you act like he was a stiff before that summer. No idea why you insist on making that argument.

No...I am saying that his improvement was immense in such a short time period. This leap was noted time and again in the wrestling community. His low ankle shots were a thing of beauty as was his movement...these were tools that he did not use in the college season, or at least not very much. He went from barely getting by Burak and losing 2X to Gadsen to beating Varner and the World.

...I really think that the technique level and pool of talent decreases as you move up in weight class - there are numerous talented grapplers in the lower and middle weights but as you proceed up through 184-197-265 the overall level of competition is much lower... understandably less because the overall pool of outstanding athletes in those weight ranges are more interested in the "money" sports of football and basketball where big $$$s are the prize for top performers...
...but thas jes my opinion ...

...I really think that the technique level and pool of talent decreases as you move up in weight class - there are numerous talented grapplers in the lower and middle weights but as you proceed up through 184-197-265 the overall level of competition is much lower... understandably less because the overall pool of outstanding athletes in those weight ranges are more interested in the "money" sports of football and basketball where big $$$s are the prize for top performers...
...but thas jes my opinion ...

While there are individuals that are quite talented at the upper weights in college, I concur with your overview of the situation. Footwork and coordination are critical skills for a wrestler. If you have them, get good training, and are motivated, you can be a pretty good wrestler. (I'm kind of merging coordination with speed, as many read speed as ability to run 100 meters, whereas in wrestling it's speed to launch attacks, speed in defending, etc., which is a combo of speed and coordination.) Alas, if you have good footwork, are well coordinated, and are in the upper weights, you also are a football coach's dream athlete. Since FB provides full scholarships, and wrestling does not, and the job/income opportunities are far greater for elite FB players over elite wrestlers, the pool of elite wrestlers is greatly reduced in college as many quality athletes that play FB and wrestle opt to play FB in college.

Very easy for me to critique from my couch, but I also expected a better performance from Nick. To me it just seemed Kyle got to him with ease. Obviously Kyle is superman at heavyweight, but I think Nevills could have done a little better.Probably some nerves?

FLO showed some PSU guys fooling around before the match on center mat, it was kind of cool. But what really struck me was seeing Bo just laying in the center mat looking up at the lights relaxing and then Nolf came over and laid next to him. This is while the crowd was pretty full too. Man those PSU guys just seem so relaxed and like to have "fun". Anyway maybe Nick should have came out and joined them, if he would have he probably would have put a beating on Snyder!

Not sure I understand the expectations of Nick in the Snyder bout. Some wrestlers are at a level that it just looks easy. It's not, or more would do it.

For example; Jason with his takedowns, and DT before him, make/made it look effortless. Snyder is now that kind of wrestler.

Not sure I understand the expectations of Nick in the Snyder bout. Some wrestlers are at a level that it just looks easy. It's not, or more would do it.

For example; Jason with his takedowns, and DT before him, make/made it look effortless. Snyder is now that kind of wrestler.
+1

And please let's not forget the obscene hulks of physically mature MEN that Snyder has been wrestling lately.

Have to give Nick an opportunity to respond to what he just faced. He will have to defend much better.

I don't like my guy losing, but I can watch Snyder wrestle all day long. He is fun to watch. If I'm lucky, our man Nick gets him 2 more times in finals this year. Then remember, Nick only has to beat him one time for the hardware....not ten times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT