ADVERTISEMENT

Just think how good Penn State's two-deep on the defensive line would be if DT Hakeem Beamon and DE Adisa Isaac were healthy and playing.

BWI PHIL GROSZ

May 29, 2001
I would really like to see what Penn State's defense would look like if both SDE Adisa Isaac [6-4, 252] and 3-tech. DT Hakeem Beamon [6-3, 258] would be healthy and be able to be playing.

One of the biggest surprises has to be the way Jesse Luketa [6-3, 247] has taken to playing the WDE position. He can now let loose his aggressive style of play at WDE. He is a natural at the WDE position and that is where he should have been playing last year and now this year.

Coach Pry made a big mistake last year when Micah Parsons [6-3, 245] opted-out for the 2020 season. Instead of putting Luketa at Will OLB, he should have been Shaka Toney's No. 1 backup as a standup hybrid WDE position and then also as Ellis Brooks' No. 1 backup at MLB. and placed Brandon Smith [6-4, 239] at the Will OLB position.

Luketa was out of his element at the Will OLB position replacing Parsons. Luketa doesn't tackle well in space and he wasn't comfortable with his pass drop responsibilities at Will OLB. He can be aggressive playing at the WDE position and the position seems to be a natural spot for him. His only pass coverage responsibility at the standup hybrid WDE position is the zone blitz. And we saw what he did in the Ball State game with a pick-six.

Just think of this two-deep situation on Penn State's defensive line if Beamon and Isaac were healthy and playing. At WDE Isaac and Luketa, at the 1-tech. DT position P.J. Mustipher [6-4, 326] and Dvon Ellies [6-1, 305], at the 3-tech. DT position Derrick Tangelo [6-2, 308] and Beamon, plus Coziah Izzard [6-3, 295] and at the SDE Arnold Ebiketie [6-3, 256] and Nick Tarburton [6-3, 257].

Besides Luketa's play at WDE, Ellies and Izzard have really surprised me with the way they have played. Ellies is the first DT off the bench in rotation and he's capable of playing both the I-tech. and 3-tech DT position, plus he has religated Fred Hansard [6-3, 313] to third team at the 1-tech. DT position.

Finally, I realize Izzard hasn't seen that many reps, but what I've seen from him I've liked. I think Izzard has the potential to really blossom at the 3-tech. DT position in 2022. And hopefully Beamon gets healthy soon and right now I think I would like a combination of Beamon and Izzard at the 3-tech. DT position in 2022.

Oh how I wish Beamon and Isaac were healthy right now! That would give Penn State in my opinion one of the best 2-deep situations at all four defensive line positions in the BIG for the 2021 season.

Reactions: top dawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News