ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Johnson will have a dominating year

We have 3 WR's that redshirted this year that will likely help as well. JJ and Thompkins will be the veterans, along with Polk and possibly Darien. Replacing Hamilton's deep ball catches will be up for grabs. And with Gesicki leaving that will likely push more passes towards the WR's as well....

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
I didn't realize johnsons only TD this year was the game winner against Iowa. I was shocked to hear that stat during the game.

I was looking at stats before the game today and saw that too. Unreal really. That will change dramatically next year sans Ham and Big Mike.

We have 3 WR's that redshirted this year that will likely help as well. JJ and Thompkins will be the veterans, along with Polk and possibly Darien. Replacing Hamilton's deep ball catches will be up for grabs. And with Gesicki leaving that will likely push more passes towards the WR's as well....
reload....reload....reload....B1G defenses are gonna be like....."where do they get all these guys all the time?"

Just a beast. I don’t think he went down on first contact all game, DB’s were bouncing off of him like bowling pins.

Reactions: BBrown
been saying it all year to anyone near me - Juwan is my darkhorse for NFL superstardom. kid just jumps off the screen with his size and ability.

Reactions: Safety Blitz
Am I the only one that thinks shorter either redshirts or doesn’t see the field much next year? Yeah he’s great, but he’s gotta learn the offense and we have a few WRs coming off of redshirts like someone said. I just see redshirting him and not burning a year of eligibility.

Reactions: Weenerdog
Am I the only one that thinks shorter either redshirts or doesn’t see the field much next year? Yeah he’s great, but he’s gotta learn the offense and we have a few WRs coming off of redshirts like someone said. I just see redshirting him and not burning a year of eligibility.
could very well be....we have a lot of returning talent....he could sit and get stronger and learn the playbook.....that would be awesome

A lot of guys returning or coming off redshirt are smaller receivers like Thompkins, Polk, Hippenhammer, Hamler, etc. With Charles gone, Shorter has every opportunity to be that #2 big body receiver along side or behind Johnson.

Without a doubt! He will be a force.

Question is who else of our young group of highly touted WRs will step up along with Thompkins to accompany him?

Lots of options...

From what I've seen of his film the kid is going to be a beast. He should have been a 5* and I don't think he will be kept off the field.
We are going to have some excellent WR's next year and this offense is not going to take a step back, in fact INMO, it might be better.
I expect the OL to take that next step and that will help offset the loss of Barkley.
But damn I am going to miss sitting in NEU seeing Barkely turn the corner and just know that it was 6 and no one was going to catch him. An amazing talent.

Shorter from the looks of it is a 3yr player i college, so get him on the field.

Good chance JJ goes pro after a dominating year as well.

We need to get these guys on the field because when you recruit top players many of them are only here 3yrs anyway.

Heck Sanders could have a big year and go out next year as well.

IMO, that only means great things for the program because if those types of players are coming and doing well it means we are winning and more will follow. We have seen CJF and his coaching staff has a great eye for talent.

Reactions: royboy
reload....reload....reload....B1G defenses are gonna be like....."where do they get all these guys all the time?"

I agree we have plenty of talent. But plays like that 2nd TD that Hamilton caught, basically one handed as the DB pressed his right forearm against his body, are plays that only very talented, focused WR's make. And that usually comes with playing time and confidence. It will take some coaching and reps to get even a very talented group of young WR's to make those kind of plays. But that's where I see JJ and Thompkins performing - leading the WR group by setting the bar high by making the tough catches when the games are on the line...... Every team needs some experienced, talented, leaders!

Reactions: mn78psu83
I was thinking last night that some of the production we will lose with Gesicki leaving could come from JJ. He‘s almost TE sized but faster, runs good routes, blocks well and has good hands.

He's a star right now. That was a star performance last night. He's too much physically for secondaries, he runs disciplined routes and he catches absolutely everything. Right now he has just about the stickiest pair of hands I've ever seen from a Penn State receiver.

If JJ and McSorley are healthy next year, they keep Penn State competitive in every game almost by themselves.

I completely agree with all of you that the kid is gonna be a STUD. He's already got the size and speed to be a special receiver. I'm not trying to poo-poo him. I just can't help but think that there's a HUGE step up in competition from his high school to the B1G. I hope he can acclimate quickly, but I don't count it as a foregone conclusion that he's gonna play immediately. I think summer practice/B-W game is gonna tell us A LOT about whether he's gonna play right away.

Regarding how the O is gonna look next year, I really think you see a much more balanced team with opponents not selling out to stop 1 position.

Juwan’s already really good. I think he’ll be even more of a weapon if the offensive staff sends stops sending him, on what seems like, only short crossing routes.
He will be unstoppable on deep posts, corners, or straight up 1 on 1 9 routes.

If he's instrumental in us making the CFP next year, then he's top 10 pick in draft.

Juwanson has all the tools. What he's added in the 2nd half of the season is confidence. He looks more comfortable and more confident all the time; catches virtually everything and then gets going upfield in a hurry. A major talent.

IMO, Shorter can be in that category, too, though it would be a lot to ask for him to dominate as a freshman. But there's no shortage of other candidates at WR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT