ADVERTISEMENT

Key to the game: Penn State's offensive line.

Howie'81

Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
West Orange, NJ
The more I think about this, and all the concerns about the defense, which are legit, I don't think that's going to be the main factor in the game. OSU has similar defensive concerns and are without their best player on that side of the ball. I'm willing to call both defenses a wash.

That said, I think the game comes down to which o-line plays best. Both teams like to run the ball, which of course opens up the passing game. I think this could be the coming out party for what I think is a very, very good Penn State offensive line. Great holes last week vs Illinois. When's the last time our o-line opened up holes like that against any level of opponent? It's been a while, I tell you.

This is a quality, experienced group. If Penn State wins the game, it will the be 5 guys up front on offense, along with Trace's uncanny ability to win, that will do it.

The more I think about this, and all the concerns about the defense, which are legit, I don't think that's going to be the main factor in the game. OSU has similar defensive concerns and are without their best player on that side of the ball. I'm willing to call both defenses a wash.

That said, I think the game comes down to which o-line plays best. Both teams like to run the ball, which of course opens up the passing game. I think this could be the coming out party for what I think is a very, very good Penn State offensive line. Great holes last week vs Illinois. When's the last time our o-line opened up holes like that against any level of opponent? It's been a while, I tell you.

This is a quality, experienced group. If Penn State wins the game, it will the be 5 guys up front on offense, along with Trace's uncanny ability to win, that will do it.
I agree that it is important. But even if the line doesn't run block well, we'll get our yards and points. To me, the single most important key is the other side: we need to have a good front seven on Defense limit tOSU's running game. If we have to commit too much, our pass D will suffer.

I think we'll get our points, the challenge will be in limiting tOSU's points.

I agree that the O line will be important but as we have seen recently games are won or lost with the D line when it comes to PSU. If they do not get pressure OSU will throw all over the field. I still have nightmares about Barrett and Darnold just sitting back there for 8 seconds and finding wide open receivers. Now in 2016, in the second half, JT was rushed and on the last drive could not make a comeback due to constant pressure.

Reactions: PSUSignore
I agree that it is important. But even if the line doesn't run block well, we'll get our yards and points. To me, the single most important key is the other side: we need to have a good front seven on Defense limit tOSU's running game. If we have to commit too much, our pass D will suffer.

Okay, but don't forget complimentary football. If we run the ball well, that helps our defense enormously. I really believe our o-line can win this game.

Reactions: Obliviax

Agree that they are a big part of this game, but to me the PSU DL has to raise their level of play in a big way. Miller tends to have better games in bigger moments and PSU will need that this weekend. Which ever team can slow the other teams ground game down will have a big advantage in this game. Firs half of Pitt and Illinois kind of have me concerned, but I am hopeful a whiteout game against tOSU has some extra energy flying around the PSU front 7.

I agree that the O line will be important but as we have seen recently games are won or lost with the D line when it comes to PSU. If they do not get pressure OSU will throw all over the field. I still have nightmares about Barrett and Darnold just sitting back there for 8 seconds and finding wide open receivers. Now in 2016, in the second half, JT was rushed and on the last drive could not make a comeback due to constant pressure.
I hear you, but every game has it's own way of developing. The past is not necessarily an indicator of how this one goes. And as I pointed out to obliviax, if we run the ball well, that takes tons of pressure off our defense.

Agree, Howie, and don't forget the importance of blocking from the TE, which has stepped up so far this year (we miss Gesicki as a receiver, but not as a blocker)

Reactions: Howie'81
Okay, but don't forget complimentary football. If we run the ball well, that helps our defense enormously. I really believe our o-line can win this game.
great point. part of controlling tOSU's run game is establishing ours.

Reactions: Howie'81
I will agree with this. Take it a step further, if Ryan Bates doesn’t get hurt PSU would have won the game in Columbus last year. The wheels fell off shortly after he departed. If Our line plays well and stays healthy, we will be tough to beat Saturday night.

I will agree with this. Take it a step further, if Ryan Bates doesn’t get hurt PSU would have won the game in Columbus last year. The wheels fell off shortly after he departed. If Our line plays well and stays healthy, we will be tough to beat Saturday night.
That was definitely a turning point in the game, and by the fourth quarter the line was a sieve. In the hopefully very unlikely event Bates would have to leave the game again, I'm a bit more optimistic that with the intact interior line and Fries and Wright at tackle that it would not be the s**tshow in turned into last season.

Well, Sanders might play a small part too in any PSU victory.
:D

That was definitely a turning point in the game, and by the fourth quarter the line was a sieve. In the hopefully very unlikely event Bates would have to leave the game again, I'm a bit more optimistic that with the intact interior line and Fries and Wright at tackle that it would not be the s**tshow in turned into last season.

Agree, we are better equipped with Fries this year. He is very experienced now and solid. Last year he was pretty much thrown into a raging fire with little experience.

I think pressuring Haskins will the be the key to victory. He's not as mobile as recent OSU QBs, and if we can get pressure we can win this thing. I'm confident our offense will score points. I'm more concerned about our ability to stop OSU from scoring. Our pass rush hasn't been hugely successful so far this season and this will be the best OL they've faced so far. If we can manage to get pressure I love our chances.

My other concern is that this might be a very close game and we have an inexperienced FG kicker who is 1 for 3 on the year. I'm hoping we don't end up in a situation where the game rests on the shoulders of our new kicker.

I think pressuring Haskins will the be the key to victory. He's not as mobile as recent OSU QBs, and if we can get pressure we can win this thing. I'm confident our offense will score points. I'm more concerned about our ability to stop OSU from scoring. Our pass rush hasn't been hugely successful so far this season and this will be the best OL they've faced so far. If we can manage to get pressure I love our chances.

My other concern is that this might be a very close game and we have an inexperienced FG kicker who is 1 for 3 on the year. I'm hoping we don't end up in a situation where the game rests on the shoulders of our new kicker.
Yep, pressuring Haskins would be huge.

Reactions: JoeFi and JJTopp99

+1.
But in the end I think its the defense that will take this team as far as it can go.
I have no concerns about the offense at all.

Agree with Howie's emphasis on the O-Line play and some other good comments as well.

But we can't overlook Special Teams, which are often a factor with a fairly equal matchup. I love Gilliken, really like our return game with KJ and Thompkins, and kick coverage has been good, too. Can our new FG kicker make a key kick of 40 yards or better?

Is the overall Special Teams edge to PSU? or can't say for sure?

To see PSU move a Big Ten defense around like that, you'd have to go back to at least 2012, maybe 2008. And the best thing is, they will get a lot better as the season goes on. By late season if they can stay healthy, it really could start to resemble a Wisconsin type line with huge size and enough depth to rotate at tackle and guard.

Saturday, the O will have to play pretty close to perfect football for PSU to have a chance. No turnovers, no drops, no penalties. They can't punt much because Ohio State will not be punting much.

Great holes last week vs Illinois. When's the last time our o-line opened up holes like that against any level of opponent? It's been a while, I tell you.

It's not like OSU is ripping it up with their rushing attack this year.

It's not like OSU is ripping it up with their rushing attack this year.
depends on how you look at it. Their top three runners, by yards number of carries, and average gain per carry:
  • Dobbins, 5.8
  • Weber, 5.8
  • Martell, 6.7
  • Teague, 6.2
  • Total, 933

That compares to PSU:
  • Sanders, 7.0
  • McS, 5.7
  • Slade, 5.9
  • Allen, 4.1
  • Total, 1100
Yards passing: tOSU 1463, PSU 958
And, BTW, Zack Smith was their WR coach. Their WR play has been outstanding compared to previous years. Be careful what you ask for, I guess.

I see what you are saying. It is my opinion that teams have to sell out to stop the pass. But, as you seem to be suggesting, their passing game is where they butter their bread.

Reactions: JJTopp99
This is true. There's a tendency here to over magnify our weaknesses, diminish our strengths, over magnify our opponents strengths, and minimize our opponents weaknesses.
Possibly...but I think it is pretty clear we've been weak defensively against the run. We've given up an average of 172.5 rushing per game, 173 in passing. Ohio State 143 and 181 respectively. We've both played three cupcakes. then tOSU play TCU and we played Pitt. I am willing to bet TCU would be Pitt 7 games out of 10, if not more.

Regardless, we knew coming in our biggest challenge would be the DT's and LBers. Losing three DE's hasn't helped.

Possibly...but I think it is pretty clear we've been weak defensively against the run. We've given up an average of 172.5 rushing per game, 173 in passing. Ohio State 143 and 181 respectively. We've both played three cupcakes. then tOSU play TCU and we played Pitt. I am willing to bet TCU would be Pitt 7 games out of 10, if not more.

Regardless, we knew coming in our biggest challenge would be the DT's and LBers. Losing three DE's hasn't helped.
Did you watch the TCU / OSU game?

I'm more worried that he apparently considers App State a cupcake.

"We've both played three cupcakes. then tOSU play TCU and we played Pitt."
sorry Roy...they are not in the same class. Their schedule?

Charlotte, Gardner-Webb, South AL, Ark St, LA Lafayette, GA Southern, Coastal, TX State, GA State, Troy. I am sorry, I know they are having a good year, so far, but they are not in our class. We gave up 28 points in one quarter...I don't care if we are playing AL, GA, Clemson or tOSU...that is poor defense.

sorry Roy...they are not in the same class. Their schedule?

Charlotte, Gardner-Webb, South AL, Ark St, LA Lafayette, GA Southern, Coastal, TX State, GA State, Troy. I am sorry, I know they are having a good year, so far, but they are not in our class. We gave up 28 points in one quarter...I don't care if we are playing AL, GA, Clemson or tOSU...that is poor defense.

App St, Pitt, and Kent State would be a collective 9-0 against Oregon St, Rutgers and Tulane. You judge App St by the strength of their schedule yet, you give OSU a complete pass on their incredibly weak schedule.

I don't doubt that the OL will play a huge role in the outcome. However OSU has a good OL as well. Whoever wins the turnover battle and has fewer penalties will most likely win the game. With OSU having a young QB playing in a hostile environment, the odds are PSU should have an edge.

This will be a typical time of possession game in which each team will want to sustain long drives to keep the other offense off the field. Unfortunately I think both teams have the ability to do this exceedingly well. While our ol is very much improved, I think it comes down to our receivers putting together a complete game for the first time this season and keeping the chains moving on 3rd down to sustain long drives. Trace is also going to have to scare them from time to time with an accurate deep ball. OSU is too good to allow trace to beat them with his legs.

yes. TCU had 203 years rushing and 296 yards passing. tOSU 182 and 343 respectively. TCU was playing a competitive game but gave up a pick six and then a blocked punt and it was over.
The pick 6 was practically a hand off to the d-lineman. The blocked point was because the punter muffed the snap. Absolute gifts, both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT