ADVERTISEMENT

Klatt calls Playoff Committee Corrupt

Yeah right OSU paid off the refs. Yes it got a bit lucky, but at the end of the year it took advantage of its luck, and it beat Wisc 59-0, Alabama and Oregon with its third team quarterback. It was the best team.

Should point out that Barrett injured his knee in the first half and OSU scaled back its offense. Your defense made a great interception for a touchdown and PSU played a very good second half. You might not have lost in overtime if Bosa hadn't capsized your tackle into the quarterback.

You guys are professional whiners. Whine about OSU's 1968 national championship, pandaczar whining about OSU's 2002 championship and continually whining about 2014.

Also, if we are going to take points off the actual score of games, then OSU beat PSU by 8 points this year because of the bad call on Damon Webb's interception.

Yeah right OSU paid off the refs. Yes it got a bit lucky, but at the end of the year it took advantage of its luck, and it beat Wisc 59-0, Alabama and Oregon with its third team quarterback. It was the best team.

Should point out that Barrett injured his knee in the first half and OSU scaled back its offense. Your defense made a great interception for a touchdown and PSU played a very good second half. You might not have lost in overtime if Bosa hadn't capsized your tackle into the quarterback.

You guys are professional whiners. Whine about OSU's 1968 national championship, pandaczar whining about OSU's 2002 championship and continually whining about 2014.

Also, if we are going to take points off the actual score of games, then OSU beat PSU by 8 points this year because of the bad call on Damon Webb's interception.

Why are OSU fans still here crying about the CFP??

Reactions: Mixolydian

Better than being the professional ass you appear to be.

Why are OSU fans still here crying about the CFP??

As someone else pointed out you have a reading deficiency. I have stated multiple times that Alabama deserved to be in the playoffs. Maybe English is not your native language.

I thought Miller was moved to WR before the season started? At least get it correct, second string QB. But third string sounds better for the narrative. All hail!

And if you want to accuse us of whining, at least mention the year we whine about most: 1994. However, that doesn't allow you to beat your chest and mention your Buckeyes in the same sentence so you cherry pick two years. Good job. You further cement everything I have said about you to be true.

Why doesn't everyone go independent, the committee has showed us that if you win a conference it's doesn't matter anymore

Reactions: Howie'81
I guess I will waste my time with one more post. I have never argued that winning the conference mattered much in either 2016 or 2017 --or that it should have mattered much. (I have posted many times. I will challenge you to find any such quote by me.) I think the committee ultimately got it right both years -- but by accident.

Will add with respect to Nebraska it doesn't matter whether OSU had 3 good wins or 4 good wins. In either event, Alabama this year has had none.

The point I have made (and is being ignored by many here) is that even if the committee got lucky and got the ultimate right decisions it was by accident and that as Klatt says their procedures are very flawed and arbitrary. You can attack the process and still agree with the results. In the future, the committee may not be so lucky.

The committee is your straw man; your poorly concealed point is that OSU for some reason deserves better. Yes, the committee sucks. You, though, base your argument on how it affects OSU, and then expect Penn State fans on a Penn State board to jump on your bandwagon. (I wonder if typing your "I'm fine with Alabama this year" and "they got it right accidentally" mantras burned your fingertips.) It would probably be for the best if you preach to the choir on your own board; you're not likely to find many converts here.

For the most part, I welcome fans of other schools when they come here and post in a reasonable manner, and as long as it isn't to flame. We get some really good visitors from time to time, and some of the better ones are from OSU. You, however, can't resist - when confronted by some of the...let's call them "opinionated"...PSU fans - taking your shots at Penn State. When you hit that buzzer, you can kiss my ass.

The committee is your straw man; your poorly concealed point is that OSU for some reason deserves better.

Absolutely ridiculous. I am saying that Alabama is not a great no. 4, but OSU is no. 5 and not as deserving as Alabama. This is a low level of subtlety but apparently, it goes over the heads of many here. I have said it many times, but apparently there is some sort of childish need by some posters here to put the worst spin on opinions of those who don't 100% buy into the PSU victimization narrative.

Thanks. Couple other questions:

If a poster from another Rivals site posts here, should one expect to see that same handle on their “home” site, assuming they also post there? Or do they have to have a different handle to post here?

As someone else pointed out you have a reading deficiency. I have stated multiple times that Alabama deserved to be in the playoffs. Maybe English is not your native language.

You are not understanding my question. Why are you still here? Doesn't OSU have their own message board? Nobody here wants to hear you whiny a$$ buckeyes.

You are not understanding my question. Why are you still here? Doesn't OSU have their own message board? Nobody here wants to hear you whiny a$$ buckeyes.

You don't understand. I don't care what you think. Do you have some sort of management position on the board?

For the benefit of the other cheap shot artists who are making non-factual posts, I don't post on the OSU rivals board. When I post on The Ozone, it is as Dailyb. Tried to use the same handle here, but it was rejected probably because I used it a long time ago here and didn't have password. Don't really post that often on any board. Was interested in OSU v PSU game here and posted here. Got a little interested in several topics here. Have done some posting here, which won't be that extensive in the future.

So, guys cheap shot away.

Next year I'll hope for a chaos field of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU. I'll watch Kirk Herbstreit pretend to have a heart attack on air and proclaim "by golly, I really thought Ohio State would have made it!".

You don't understand. I don't care what you think. Do you have some sort of management position on the board?

For the benefit of the other cheap shot artists who are making non-factual posts, I don't post on the OSU rivals board. When I post on The Ozone, it is as Dailyb. Tried to use the same handle here, but it was rejected probably because I used it a long time ago here and didn't have password. Don't really post that often on any board. Was interested in OSU v PSU game here and posted here. Got a little interested in several topics here. Have done some posting here, which won't be that extensive in the future.

Next time try dailydouche77. I’m sure they’ll understand it and accept it.

More class and intelligence. Took you 2 hours to come up with this.

Took me two seconds. I don’t spend my whole life on message boards like you do, and I’ve never spent a second on any Ohio State message board.

Speaking of intelligence, when are you going to be smart enough to realize people are tired of your schtick here and slink back to the Ozone?

You lost to Pittsburg and Michigan. OSU only lost to PSU. OSU beat a very good Oklahoma team as well as the very good Michigan team that pounded you. OSU's resume was clearly stronger.
Yikes, it's Pittsburgh! They beat Clemson on the road. You know the eventual CFP champion. This year they beat Miami when #2. The Michigan loss was bad but but we were down our three starting linebackers plus another. Clemson got a pass this year when they lost their starting QB for the second half against Syracuse (who never won another game this year). But if the CFP panel was using data points and were consistent then head to head and conference championships were data points, they trump the two data points you bring up. This year the panel had no problem with two SEC teams. Last year they had problem with two BIG teams (Washington's resume didn't stack-up). I'm afraid you don't get it. There is no system for four teams that is not biased and objective when there are five power conferences & ND and only four places.

Yikes, it's Pittsburgh! They beat Clemson on the road. You know the eventual CFP champion.

Having checked Pittsburg's record last year (thanks to some posters on this board), the loss wasn't as bad as I thought. I still think OSU had a stronger case, but PSU had valid arguments to make. Pitt was stronger than I realized.

Will add that Clemson was a really strange team last year. Lucky to get by NC state, gave up 35 points to Va. Tech in conference championship. Shut out OSU.

To me the explanation for OSU's poor performance was that they had a swinging door at right tackle (Prince a true freshman, who has markedly improved this year) and that matched up poorly with Clemson's very good D-line. Also, OSU had a very poor deep passing game. Clemson was clearly the best team, obviously.

If they were to match up this year, OSU would be much improved. Its offensive line had a great day against a good Wisconsin defense and was rapidly improving at the end of the year. However, with Barrett as qb, OSU wouldn't have the long ball and I still think Clemson is the better team. Don't think a game this year would be the disaster that occurred last year though.

I'm afraid you don't get it. There is no system for four teams that is not biased and objective when there are five power conferences & ND and only four places.
[Think you meant to say subjective]

I agree with this. There will always be arguments. However, the CFP ought to consider having rules they actually follow, which is not the case. The rules on occasion will result in unfairness, but they would lessen the chance of a potential scandal at some time in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: gslachta
There is one reason only that the Suckeye fans keep coming here now. They know that Franklin has Penn State even with Ohio St the last few years in spite of their much, much higher ranked recruiting classes. Franklin was besting Meyer with less talent and depth.

Ut oh, Franklin now has top 5 recruiting as well which means Meyer is due for another medical issue within the next few years. It will be Alabama resurging to eclipse UF all over again and Meyer left the Gators in chaos. Fast forward 5 years and Bucknuts is going to have to deal with all the bought prima donnas who were all promised something they aren't getting ala UF. It's coming, Penn State will catalyze it, and the fanboys are already nervous.

Reactions: Howie'81
At least the last 2 years the committee has been consistent. As long as they are consistent going forward we know that they use the following guideline over all others:

Do not lose two games.

Strength of schedule does not matter, conference championships do not matter, all that matters is do not lose 2 games.

Lot of talk about Auburn would have gotten in this year with two losses had they beaten Georgia, well they did not beat Georgia and did not get in. Don't lose 2 games. Don't lose 2 games is the guideline until its not.
I am not understanding what you write. Are you saying don't lose two games?

Next year I'll hope for a chaos field of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU. I'll watch Kirk Herbstreit pretend to have a heart attack on air and proclaim "by golly, I really thought Ohio State would have made it!".

Really rich to hear OSU fans going berserk. Is it a coincidence that Klatt is from Columbus and grew up an OSU fan? Nothing against Klatt, I like him, but all the passive aggressive shilling and sour grapes from the OSU jockocracy has become obnoxious.

Really rich to hear OSU fans going berserk. Is it a coincidence that Klatt is from Columbus and grew up an OSU fan? Nothing against Klatt, I like him, but all the passive aggressive shilling and sour grapes from the OSU jockocracy has become obnoxious.
What the OP forgot to mention was that Klatt also said PSU should have got in last year over OSU and he used that as further evidence of a broken system.

I thought Miller was moved to WR before the season started? At least get it correct, second string QB. But third string sounds better for the narrative.

Wrong. Miller sat out the 2014 season and started playing receiver in 2015. Not a huge point, but you felt some need to bring it up. Third string sounds better because it is correct. In fact, after the game, Alabama players said that one reason they lost was that their preparation was not good enough because they didn't think that a 3rd stringer could beat them.

Wrong. Miller sat out the 2014 season and started playing receiver in 2015. Not a huge point, but you felt some need to bring it up. Third string sounds better because it is correct. In fact, after the game, Alabama players said that one reason they lost was that their preparation was not good enough because they didn't think that a 3rd stringer could beat them.

Had to brush up. Medical redshirt. Didn't play a down that year did he? So technically, Jones was #2 on the depth chart all season, right?

Apologies on getting the year's wrong though. My mistake.

Medical redshirt. Didn't play a down that year did he? So technically, Jones was #2 on the depth chart all season, right?

He started in August as the starter (being brought along gingerly), hurt his shoulder again in August after earlier surgery and then sat out the year. "
"Updates from Wednesday, Aug. 20

Urban Meyer spoke about Braxton Miller and his team following yesterday's announcement (via TheOzone.net):

Original Text

The worst possible scenario for the Ohio State football team is now a reality less than two weeks before the season starts.

Ohio State Athletics reports quarterback Braxton Miller will miss the 2014 season:"

No need to split hairs in any event. In late August OSU was hoping (maybe expecting that Miller would play qb)

See http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eportedly-out-for-season-with-shoulder-injury

Klatt says that the week before the conference championships Hocutt stated that there was a razor-thin margin between the then 5 through 8 teams. Then OSU beats Wisc and Hocutt states that Alabama was clearly the better team. Klatt says Hocutt was dishonest and borderline corrupt. Also, said committee was completely unreliable over the last 3 seasons. Called Alabama's invite a sponsor's exemption. I think all of the criticisms are accurate, but still don't have any substantial problem with Alabama invite. Iowa loss stunk to high heaven.

The larger point is that in the future, this may really get awful and unless some clear standards are set up and followed. Here is link https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1109213251937 [PS Thread title should have been border-line corrupt]

Of course...would be wild if a "FIFA" like scandal erupted and we discovered years later there were " favors" made with certain members of the selection committee...WHOA NELLIE !

To think that these guys walk into the weekend with no idea of who they have already picked or are leaning towards...is comical...

Though he did not vote...Gene Smith has had NO contact or discussions with any of his fellow Playoff Selection committee members ...?

Though he did not vote...Gene Smith has had NO contact or discussions with any of his fellow Playoff Selection committee members ...?

Absolutely fair criticism. Don't understand why people affiliated with the Athletic departments are on the committee. At least this year, you could argue that if Smith was biased (and he is), he wasn't effective. :)

Absolutely fair criticism. Don't understand why people affiliated with the Athletic departments are on the committee. At least this year, you could argue that if Smith was biased (and he is), he wasn't effective. :)

Obviously this was the toughest decision these guys have had to make since the Playoffs began...the one main reason why I did agree with their decision this year was looking at overall consistency.

When OSU was on..like their 4th QTR against PSU , Michigan game etc...they were as good as any team in the Country specifically the Top 4 selected...but when they were bad...like the first half against PSU ( though PSU was on fire) or Oklahoma game and of course the entire Iowa game...they were really really bad.

And I think there was no doubt...that what happened to OSU last year versus Clemson was in the back of their mind...I have no doubt about that and when they added the inconsistency of OSU this year...that was it.

Bama...has never been blown out...they have lost...but never been blown out and Auburn played as good as any team we have seen this year on THAT day...and an arch rival game...IMO...

Agree. Razor thin difference and in the same week Bama does nothing and OSU adds to its ledger by winning a conference championship and beating a top five team. Corrupt is an understatement.

I wonder what would have happened if PSU beat MSU...OSU wins the Conference title...has 2 losses...PSU has 1...Don't think they would have picked OSU over PSU...but...would Bama have gotten the nod with an identical 1 loss record over PSU ? My gut tells me...they would have picked Bama...Corrupt to the core...

Reactions: gslachta
I wonder what would have happened if PSU beat MSU...OSU wins the Conference title...has 2 losses...PSU has 1...Don't think they would have picked OSU over PSU...but...would Bama have gotten the nod with an identical 1 loss record over PSU ? My gut tells me...they would have picked Bama...Corrupt to the core...

It's a good question. But, MSU was ranked #18 at the time we lost to them; had we won, and OSU winning by one at home being our only loss, I think we would have been in, especially since we would have essentially tied for the B1G East title record-wise with OSU (though losing to them ultimately since they have the head to head).

It's a good question. But, MSU was ranked #18 at the time we lost to them; had we won, and OSU winning by one at home being our only loss, I think we would have been in, especially since we would have essentially tied for the B1G East title record-wise with OSU (though losing to them ultimately since they have the head to head).

So...I think wha

So...you probably agree with the committee...based on what you shared...that the IOWA loss...was...the "kiss if death" for OSU...everywhere I look at comments made...it all seems to go back to that loss...as bad a loss as any Top 10 Team has face by an unranked team...in many many years...

So...I think wha

So...you probably agree with the committee...based on what you shared...that the IOWA loss...was...the "kiss if death" for OSU...everywhere I look at comments made...it all seems to go back to that loss...as bad a loss as any Top 10 Team has face by an unranked team...in many many years...

I think that's the big issue for them more than having two losses. I think losses shouldn't be considered at all to be honest. Like a college application - look at the things that will get you in, not at those that will keep you out. If you did that, on paper you have:

OSU

- B1G Conference Champoin
- Wins over #9 Penn State, #18 Michigan State, and #6 Wisconsin (using current rankings, not rankings at time of play)

Alabama

- Wins over #16 LSU and #24 Mississippi State

I wonder what would have happened if PSU beat MSU...OSU wins the Conference title...has 2 losses...PSU has 1...Don't think they would have picked OSU over PSU..

You would have been definitely in ahead of OSU. Interesting question with respect to Bama. The Iowa loss deservedly sunk OSU. Bama may be a sleeping giant. I understand that they may get 7 defensive players back in time for semifinals.

A comparable loss to OSU's Iowa loss was Nebraska's loss to Colorado at the end of the 2001 season. (62-36). Notwithstanding that loss, Nebraska got into the national championship game and was thoroughly outclassed by Miami.

Last edited:
You would have been definitely in ahead of OSU. Interesting question with respect to Bama. The Iowa loss deservedly sunk OSU. Bama may be a sleeping giant. I understand that they may get 7 defensive players back in time for semifinals.

A comparable loss to OSU's Iowa loss was Nebraska's loss to Colorado at the end of the 2001 season. (62-36). Notwithstanding that loss, Nebraska got into the national championship game and was thoroughly outclassed by Miami.

What’s frustrating is that there is so much at stake especially with $$$.... when selections become ultimately “ selective” then there will always be controversy... and when you throw it payouts... wow...

On the other end... take the NCAA brackets and Tournament... it’s not always the “ best” team that wins the Tourney but the “ hottest”..,at least with NCAA Football... think the pairing leaves less chance of a wild .500 Team winning it all...

What’s frustrating is that there is so much at stake especially with $$$.... when selections become ultimately “ selective” then there will always be controversy... and when you throw it payouts... wow

I think there is a lot at stake, but it is not direct money. -- Here is the payoff structure:

"Naturally the first place to look is the teams, but they actually have little to gain in terms of a direct financial reward. The College Football Playoff pays prize money to conferences, not teams, and the title game actually carries no reward money. The four conferences that participated in this year's playoff - the SEC, ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 - received $6 million apiece for qualifying, and even those in the non-playoff Big Six bowls get $4 million per team, but there's no prize for making, or winning, the championship." See https://www.forbes.com/sites/chriss...ball-national-championship-game/#4a9568ba2777

OSU & Penn State only lost $2 mil each by not being in the playoff. However, the indirect benefits are large as mentioned in the article, and the potential for corruption is very much there. Essentially, a lot of money, power and influence is there to be doled out with no standards.

Stay away and you won't get cheap shots. Dick H

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT