ADVERTISEMENT

Landon Tengwall is confident that Allar has a Grade 1 MCL injury.

I very much want Allar to play in this game. He’s playing well and he needs this opportunity to rid himself of this Michigan/Ohio State monkey that’s on his back. That he falls apart against the big boys on the schedule. It would do wonders for his development and the team’s chances going forward if he plays well this coming Saturday.

I very much want Allar to play in this game. He’s playing well and he needs this opportunity to rid himself of this Michigan/Ohio State monkey that’s on his back. That he falls apart against the big boys on the schedule. It would do wonders for his development and the team’s chances going forward if he plays well this coming Saturday.
I watched the game. I thought that Beau did great considering he is a Soph and doesn't get the first-team reps. But he also looked really shakey those first two possessions. I also thought the team didn't look as settled on offense with him in there. While I am comfortable with Beau at QB this week, Allar gives us our best chance to win.

I watched the game. I thought that Beau did great considering he is a Soph and doesn't get the first-team reps. But he also looked really shakey those first two possessions. I also thought the team didn't look as settled on offense with him in there. While I am comfortable with Beau at QB this week, Allar gives us our best chance to win.

Agree, except that Beau attempted/made some passes that I don't think Allar tries. Like those crossers where the receiver wasn't that open.

Reactions: Hero17 and Obliviax
Agree, except that Beau attempted/made some passes that I don't think Allar tries. Like those crossers where the receiver wasn't that open.
Wisconsin's defense didn't prepare for Beau so he had a slight advantage. The running game ran better because the Wisconsin defenders now, suddenly, had to cover the QB running the ball whereas with Allar, they don't care as much.

It is great Beau got that win because it will build confidence. No matter who plays, they'll play knowing they can lead the team even when behind. I also think that helps when we have the Beau package in if Allar starts. I never felt 100% comfortable with Beau and that we ended up playing pretty vanilla offense when Beau was in there. That is understandable and expected. It looked to me like AK dummied down the offense a bit. I expect the O to be a full throttle against tOSU. If I am AK and have both available, I start DA and try to establish the run/pass offense. But I may use the Beau package and introduce some trickery in that set.

But I don't want to run down Beau. By the end of the game, he looked good. But in the 3rd quarter, the O looked unsettled. As the game went on, they settled in. That direct snap to Kaytron was new, Beau had to sell it, and it went for our 4th TD.

Reactions: tboyer
I think the QBs in the PSU-OSU game are comparable----all are playing well when they have time. I really became a Pribula fan after Saturday. He was very effective

This game will be won in the trenches and that's why I give PSU the edge in Saturday's game. PSU's OL is far better than the porous-putrid OSU OL and that sounds strange describing any OSU OL that way. The last 3 or 4 years have probably been OSU's worst OLs in decades which is unusual as I've been watching CF since the 60s and when I think of powerful OL of decades past, I think of OSU and especially USC.

My prediction: PSU 24 - OSU 17 (Ryan Day is a pussy)

I hope all can go-I do think with each week Smith Vilbert has looked more like a starter than a back up DE-we have to remember he didn't play for 2 years, he's looking good. Nothing against DDS but if one of the 3 can't go I'd prefer we have Drew and AD.

I get that inexperience is probably going to bite Pribula. But Allar would be a liability on a gimpy leg. He doesn't have any mobility to spare, so if it makes him even slightly more stationary that's a big advantage for the Ohio State pass rush. And this injury affects his throwing too -- he couldn't push off on Saturday, that's really why he came out of the game. Balls were floating on him. That would essentially make it too dangerous to even try to throw the ball downfield.

I'm sure the decision will be made carefully considering all the factors -- the biggest of course is not risking further injury to Allar. Since Pribula can run the offense, I hope they don't put Allar out there with no mobility; that's just a recipe for a lot of sacks.

Ohio State's O-line has got some problems. But I their D-line is going to be fast and disruptive. A whole different solar system from USC and Wisky.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickinDayton
I get that inexperience is probably going to bite Pribula. But Allar would be a liability on a gimpy leg. He doesn't have any mobility to spare, so if it makes him even slightly more stationary that's a big advantage for the Ohio State pass rush. And this injury affects his throwing too -- he couldn't push off on Saturday, that's really why he came out of the game. Balls were floating on him. That would essentially make it too dangerous to even try to throw the ball downfield.

I'm sure the decision will be made carefully considering all the factors -- the biggest of course is not risking further injury to Allar, since he has a lot of career ahead. Since Pribula can run the offense, I hope they don't put Allar out there with no mobility; that's just a recipe for a lot of sacks.

Ohio State's O-line has got some problems. But I their D-line is going to be fast and disruptive. A whole different solar system from USC and Wisky.
Agreed. I was assuming Allar is close to or at 100%.

Wisconsin's defense didn't prepare for Beau so he had a slight advantage. The running game ran better because the Wisconsin defenders now, suddenly, had to cover the QB running the ball whereas with Allar, they don't care as much.

This is an important point. Ohio State D will spend quite a bit of time looking at Pribula's tendencies and scheming ways to fool him into interceptions. Very different from Wisconsin's situation. If he plays Saturday those throws over the middle into tiny windows become very dangerous against the kind of athletes Ohio State has in the secondary. It's hard to calculate safeties and linebackers who run faster, jump higher and have great eye-hand coordination.

I did really like how Pribula played once he got into the flow of the game. Those last two drives were both superb -- and yes the Wisconsin D was tired, so that was a factor. But Beau was making decisions very quickly. He has a very quick release and that makes up a bit for the lack of a cannon arm. He's quick as a runner -- he gets to speed very fast. It was really impressive. Pretty amazing to see Allar play his best football one week, and then the following week we see Pribula play his best football. Nice turn of events.

Last edited:
This is an important point. Ohio State D will spend quite a bit of time looking at Pribula's tendencies and scheming ways to fool him into interceptions. Very different from Wisconsin's situation. If he plays Saturday those throws over the middle become very dangerous against the kind of athletes Ohio State has in the seconday.
Hey, maybe Beau starts and we have an "Allar package" when behind the chains.

Agree, many on this board have been dogging Rucci all season, he seems to playing decent, Donkah better yes, but get off Rucci guys.
Having a starter go down during a game can provide a real benefit in the development of the back-up. More minutes in a close game vs a good opponent, game pressure, etc.

Certainly have added confidence in Pribula after his performance, and the same is true of Rucci and the DL guys who got additional playing time.

Reactions: NedFromYork
This is an important point. Ohio State D will spend quite a bit of time looking at Pribula's tendencies and scheming ways to fool him into interceptions. Very different from Wisconsin's situation. If he plays Saturday those throws over the middle become very dangerous against the kind of athletes Ohio State has in the seconday.
If Allar can play then obviously good for us. He won't be 100% of course so this is I think what to expect:

-Pribula plays more snaps/series and we pepper the game plan for Pribula packages. I trust AK will be very creative here.

-Allar will not run much meaning the "no one is open and I scramble up the middle for 8-12 yards" play we are used to seeing a few times a game probably is not there. So that is a negative, how much? Not horrible but could be key vs OSU where we need everything to go our way.

-Drew needs to be careful with his accuracy given this injury messes with his mechanics. I just hope he doesn't become real gun shy and non aggressive. Need to be smart to protect him but can't go into a shell otherwise why have him out there.

Knowles and Day will prepare for all scenarios. They will be ready for a heavy Pribula game or more where he plays maybe a third of the snaps. They will probably pressure Allar more given the limited mobility. Warren will be an even more important part of our offense to provide a reliable option for Drew when the pocket starts collapsing.

Other random thoughts/questions:

-Really would like Donkah back at tackle but not sure what his injury is.

-Is Singleton hurt or what is going on there? Not gaining a lof of yards. He seems to move okay but hard to tell maybe he has lost a step of acceleration. The TD grab vs Wisky was phenomenal. Using him as a pass catcher could be key but OSU will prepare for it so we need to catch them off guard.

-Need to figure out how to fully take advantage of the weak links on OSU's offensive line now with their injuries. Getting some pressure on Howard is important. Having DDS would obviously be great but Vilbert and Vanover are solid. Durant on stunts up the middle using his quickness could be huge for us especially attacking their third string guy.

-OSU first team safety out the first half from targeting. An opening for us, need to seize that opportunity.

I think the QBs in the PSU-OSU game are comparable----all are playing well when they have time. I really became a Pribula fan after Saturday. He was very effective

This game will be won in the trenches and that's why I give PSU the edge in Saturday's game. PSU's OL is far better than the porous-putrid OSU OL and that sounds strange describing any OSU OL that way. The last 3 or 4 years have probably been OSU's worst OLs in decades which is unusual as I've been watching CF since the 60s and when I think of powerful OL of decades past, I think of OSU and especially USC.

My prediction: PSU 24 - OSU 17 (Ryan Day is a pussy)
We need to attack the weak links on their O Line. Leverage Durant's quickness. Vilbert and Vanover are solid DEs for us and fill in well for DDS. Ford is really coming on at DT and a great run stuffer. He just clogs up space but is athletic. If we can get pressure on Howard that could be our magic sauce to get a W. Maybe a turnover.

OSU will attack our LBs and Winston replacement.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Had to look it up.

• Grade 1: A grade 1 MCL tear is a mild tear in which less than 10% of fibers in your ligament are torn and your knee is still stable. You’ll likely have some tenderness and mild pain if you have a grade 1 tear.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21979-mcl-tear
I had one senior year of college. Dude slide tackled me, knee bent in as I fell to the ground. Classic MCL sprain. I played in an indoor tournament 2 weeks later without even a brace and felt a little unstable at first but felt fine after I warmed up. Of course, soccer is not as violent as football, but involves just as much/more cutting and running - certainly more than Allar’s typical game.

I had an extra week, but did not have the benefit of a huge training staff to get me right, tape and brace me up. Grade 1 is good news.

Reactions: m.knox
I'm pretty sure that after the Beau's first two possessions that Kotelnicki threw the RPO out the window in favor of "run the play and if anything goes wrong, take off running". I'd expect that with first team reps this week, he'll put the RPO back out there on Saturday for the most part.

I'm sure the decision will be made carefully considering all the factors -- the biggest of course is not risking further injury to Allar. Since Pribula can run the offense, I hope they don't put Allar out there with no mobility; that's just a recipe for a lot of sacks.

They are not putting Allar in unless he can make a lot of the throws. He needs to be careful on accuracy but if he is pretty gimpy and can't plant well and that affects his accuracy then it is a no go. They also can't have him as a sitting duck back there completely stationary. Why take that risk with a very capable backup?

If this is indeed a grade 1 sprain or whatever then I would think he would be close to 100% especially with pain killer injections. He won't beat Noah Lyles in the 100 but hopefully can make the throws. Doubt he runs much but should be able to move in the pocket to buy time.

I still think it is smart to play Beau more in this game even if Allar is close to 100%. Run packages or trickery off run package looks can do some damage to OSU.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I lip read him to say: 'Who in the F*#K are you?'

Which I require more context for to make any further conclusion.

And 'College Football Headlines' needs to quit making sh!t up and actually provide an accurate quotation 'Hey! Who in the f@#k are you?'
is his actual quote!

JMO.

'

This account agrees with you.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
We need to attack the weak links on their O Line. Leverage Durant's quickness. Vilbert and Vanover are solid DEs for us and fill in well for DDS. Ford is really coming on at DT and a great run stuffer. He just clogs up space but is athletic. If we can get pressure on Howard that could be our magic sauce to get a W. Maybe a turnover.

OSU will attack our LBs and Winston replacement.
OSU may be starting their 3rd string LT. I haven't seen a lot of the Buckeyes this season but from what I've read even their top 2 LTs were struggling a bit. We need to line Carter up on that side and let him cause havoc.

While I thought Beau was indeed great after settling in- a few of the "tight windows" that Blackledge was lauding may well be INTs vs OSU.

A more limited Drew may not be the asset we need to WIN- but I'm hoping he can go.....if not- flick the switch and we have to roll w/ Beau and hope for a lot of help from the D and likely kicking game

Reactions: Obliviax
This account agrees with you.
....and they can't even get the quote right as they have reversed the order of what he had said.

There is a difference in what was alleged he had said. One was a declarative statement while the other was an interrogatory statement.

On the playground when I was growing up, the declarative version potentially got you a punch in the face.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT