ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for a Restaurant in Philly near the Convention Center.

I'll take the dumpster of a local place over Maggiano's, Chili's, or Hard Rock Cafe.

Hell, I'd eat a log of hepatitis-laden human feces over Hard Rock Cafe.

The real question is whether you would do so while sitting next to a guitar once played by Richie Sambora and a jacket once worn by Cyndi Lauper

The Plough and the Stars at 2nd and Market is a good lunch spot. It’s Irish pub fare with a nice atmosphere right near the new Museum of the American Revolution. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are also close by. Off the beaten path is the Philly Taproom in south Philadelphia, 15th and Mifflin. They have a great beer selection, and unique dishes like head cheese tacos, gizzards and snails, and deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They also do a grilled cheese and tomato soup, where the sandwich is served like a big crouton (in the soup). It’s a place where everyone seems pretty heavily tattooed - even the men.

Holy cow, that place is still going? Lived at 2nd and South for a couple of years and that was a cool place. Wish the food “buzz” hit Philly in the late 90’s.

I’d choose seppuku in that case.

You are crazy, man. There is nothing like a hamburger served under Elton John's shoes and a framed Aerosmith record.

Hard Rock Café is one of Britain's great exports to the rest of the world. It is right up there with the English language.

Eulogy Belgian Tavern about a block off the waterfront on Chestnut St. is an old tavern with German type food . Brats and potatoes. Very good.
Or if you need to drink alot of lunch... Bob and Barbara's Lounge on South St. has a beer and a shot for $2. Hint, don't look up or down.

Eulogy closed a few years ago

Holy cow, that place is still going? Lived at 2nd and South for a couple of years and that was a cool place. Wish the food “buzz” hit Philly in the late 90’s.
Yes I was recently there. Still a great place. It has quite a nice lunch and is really popular from Happy Hour on into the evening.

The chicken sandwich might be the best sandwich in the city IMO.
After the burger at butcher and singer (which is tied with village whiskey’s). But it might be the best fried chic sandwich.

Reactions: Kmase21
You are crazy, man. There is nothing like a hamburger served under Elton John's shoes and a framed Aerosmith record.

Hard Rock Café is one of Britain's great exports to the rest of the world. It is right up there with the English language.

All jokes aside, when I travel places, I always find local places and don't eat at chains (I went to Fogo de Chao in Center City one time). South Philly Barbacoa is the next place on my list when in town, and I always stop at La Colombe in Fishtown. In Pittsburgh, it's Meat & Potatoes, Burgatory (North Shore), Spice Island, DeLuca's, and/or Convive Coffee if I'm north of town. I know a couple who vacation in Hawaii and eat at Ruby Tuesday--I just don't get it.

I can go to Chili's, Applebees, Maggianos, etc. almost anywhere. Places like Olive Garden and Hard Rock Cafe are just abominations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kmase21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT