ADVERTISEMENT

Lost another one: RIP Gordie How

Yep, every day people pass away.....
True, but people like Gordie Howe do not pass away every day. He was truly "Mr. Hockey.." His playing career started in 1946 and continued until 1980. He was in the Top 10 in scoring for 21 straight years.

One report I watched today (in a general news segment, rather than a sports segment, which says something about Gordie Howe, IMO) noted that he is responsible for creation of the term "Gordie Howe Hat Trick." That is a game where a single player has a goal, an assist and a fight.

RIP, Gordie.

Reactions: john4psu
One report I watched today (in a general news segment, rather than a sports segment, which says something about Gordie Howe, IMO) noted that he is responsible for creation of the term "Gordie Howe Hat Trick." That is a game where a single player has a goal, an assist and a fight.
Yet Howe only had a goal, assist and fight in one game only a few times in his career. Contrary to popular belief he did not fight much. He didn't have to. He was given a lot of space on the ice. Of course there was that incident with a certain New York Rangers' player...

Beech: Yeah, well, no one wanted to mess with Howe. He was a physical specimen, and tough. I assume the Rangers player you are talking about was Esposito. (?). Another big, tough dude.

Reactions: LionJim
Beech: Yeah, well, no one wanted to mess with Howe. He was a physical specimen, and tough. I assume the Rangers player you are talking about was Esposito. (?). Another big, tough dude.

No--Lou Fontinato. Look him up with respect to Gordie. Poor Lou got a photo essay in Life magazine as a result of this 2/1/59 incident!

True, but people like Gordie Howe do not pass away every day. He was truly "Mr. Hockey.." His playing career started in 1946 and continued until 1980. He was in the Top 10 in scoring for 21 straight years.

RIP, Gordie.

Yep, people like Gordie Howe pass away every day. No disrespect to Mr. Howe intended. But people that accomplish much with their lives, including sports figures, political leaders, humanitarians, business leaders..... pass away every day, many of which have done much for others. And many of these impacted others positively much more so than sports legends...... We still are losing service men over seas - shouldn't they be recognized with greater admiration that a sports figure?

No disrespect to these men intended, but some people act as if sports figures impacted society like Mother Teresa. They have not.

Yep, people like Gordie Howe pass away every day. No disrespect to Mr. Howe intended. But people that accomplish much with their lives, including sports figures, political leaders, humanitarians, business leaders..... pass away every day, many of which have done much for others. And many of these impacted others positively much more so than sports legends...... We still are losing service men over seas - shouldn't they be recognized with greater admiration that a sports figure?

No disrespect to these men intended, but some people act as if sports figures impacted society like Mother Teresa. They have not.

I suppose if it had been a Pittsburgh sports legend your thought might be a little different

When the next famous or semi famous Pittsburgh sports legend passes away I trust you will respond with a similarly well thought out response.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I suppose if it had been a Pittsburgh sports legend your thought might be a little different

When the next famous or semi famous Pittsburgh sports legend passes away I trust you will respond with a similarly well thought out response.

Nope. my thoughts would be the same. Sports figures like movie stars get their due publicity when they are alive. I enjoy sports like everyone here on this board. But I reserve respect, much different from publicity, for those that actually work to improve the fortunes of others.

I generally ignore postings of death notices on PSU message boards. No matter where the deceased are from. It's amusing that you would try and tie that in with "Pittsburgh".

Yeah, and there's 162 Pirates games and 80 Pens games each year yet you seem to think that each of them deserves its own thread, sometimes a thread per inning or period, home run or goal. If every poster here was as ridiculously zealous about their favorite pro teams as your are about your Pitts teams, there'd be no room on this board for anything else.

People die every day -- no kidding.

A school teacher or nurse can impact so many lives in relation to a left-handed middle reliever but compare their salaries.

Celebrities and athletes in society are worshipped and idolized and paid handsomely. It's society out of whack.

When someone talked about the relative importance of math class to football Bear Bryant said, "Eighty thousand people won't pay to watch a math class." Or something to that effect.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Greg: Good people DO in fact die every day. But I don't think it denigrates any of them to note that Gordie Howe as a special player and a special person.

Last edited:
Greg: Good people DO in fact die every day. But I don't think it denigrates any of them to note that Gordie Howe as a special player and a special person.

That is documented regarding the "player". But how do you know anything about the "person"? Just what the media fed you? That's the point I was attempting to make. And obviously I don't claim to know much about Mr. How either.

But we do know the impact of service men that die in the line of duty. There have been those that died in the line of duty, policemen and soldiers, recently. As well as doctors, nurses, missionaries, non-profit workers........

I'll reminisce regarding the accomplishments of athletes that pass (such as someone that could score 41 points at age 51), but reserve my respect and honor for those individuals that have impacted society in concrete ways, via life's accomplishments that have more impact than sports, which may include some athletes at times. Pat Tillman is one that comes to mind.

There is a pretty spectacular funeral going on in Louisville. Wonder what is going through the minds of those that actually served in Vietnam, or the relatives of those that gave their lives in the line of duty in Vietnam.....

Last edited:
In my opinion, this was Joe Louis Arena's greatest moment--the introduction of No. 9 (no need to say his name) at the 1980 All-Star Game:

'ro, you can fix the thread title. Click the wrench above your first post in this thread. In the drop-down menu, click "Edit Title".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT