ADVERTISEMENT

Loved this article on Journey Brown published when he signed - his own words are prophetic...

Pennsy_Kraken

May 19, 2017
Here is a hotlink to the article:

What will make Brown special is that he has that "it" factor that creates legends - i.e., his competitiveness and drive make him a "gamer". Here is what he had to say back in Jan of this year:

"I feel like I perform at my best when I'm under pressure. When people tell me I can't do something, I love proving them wrong. I've been doing it for 17 years now.

I have to prove I'm not just fast, I'm not about speed. Just because I came from a small town and a small school, that doesn't mean anything. I feel like I can play with anybody in the country. I feel like I should be rated higher. That's all fuel for me to work harder.

I'm not going to stop until I'm one of the best running backs in the country."

You can see this attitude in the time he just ran at the PIAA Championship track meet - he isn't satisfied with top national times in the 60 or 100 sprints.....he just keeps getting better and proving that he has the will to get better.

The other thing that people miss with this kid is his rare combination of athleticism, strength and size. It means that he could see the field early and could see it on either side of the ball. Given his ability to catch the ball downfield, he could easily play in a Flanker, slot or even split-out position. He can run the ball too. With his speed and athleticism, he could see early action at either of the Safety positions.

He's ultra-competitive, driven and a "gamer" though as he just showed in the rain at the PIAA State Meet and those attributes combined with elite athleticism has the making of "legend" all over it.

Brown reminds me of Barkley in that he seems to have the talent, right attitude, and work ethic, and he looks to have flown under the recruiting radar. I am excited to see Brown in the blue and white. :)

I envision the following video regarding the viewing of Leroy Burrell's 32 year Pennsy School-Boy Sprint Record going down except the party says, "Hey Urbs, you better come look at this. I think he means business."....

Last edited:
How about these stats in regards to the magnitude of what Brown just accomplished:
  • According to current records, only three Penn Staters have ever run faster than 10.43 in the 100 meters - all for the PSU Track Team. Prior to Xavier Smith (10.35) and Malik Moffett (10.42) this season, only Mike Sands (10.34), in 1975, are the only Penn Staters in history to have run faster.
  • Brown just broke the fastest 100m EVER recorded by a PSU Football Player - the fastest official 100m ever recorded by a Penn State football player was by Michael Timpson in 1987 (10.47).
Perhaps the most impressive part of all of it is that he ran the time in a steady rain which were less than optimal conditions for recording record times as all observers even testified! This kid has already entered legendary status and he has yet to set foot on PSU's campus - "impressive" would be a huge understatement!

How about these stats in regards to the magnitude of what Brown just accomplished:
  • According to current records, only three Penn Staters have ever run faster than 10.43 in the 100 meters - all for the PSU Track Team. Prior to Xavier Smith (10.35) and Malik Moffett (10.42) this season, only Mike Sands (10.34), in 1975, are the only Penn Staters in history to have run faster.
  • Brown just broke the fastest 100m EVER recorded by a PSU Football Player - the fastest official 100m ever recorded by a Penn State football player was by Michael Timpson in 1987 (10.47).
Perhaps the most impressive part of all of it is that he ran the time in a steady rain which were less than optimal conditions for recording record times as all observers even testified! This kid has already entered legendary status and he has yet to set foot on PSU's campus - "impressive" would be a huge understatement!

BTW, Mike Sands was an impressive track athlete in his own right as a former Olympian and really a trend-setter in Caribbean Sprinters attending US Universities to further their International Track & Field Careers and better themselves. HIT THE HOTLINK

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT