ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Zollers suffers lower leg injury

Predictable...a kid did what he thought was best for him and fans now want to see him fail. It's honestly pathetic.
Really? I read it more as a commentary on the current state of CFB. I know you are all in on soft money and pay for play, but not everyone is. Even before NIL, there are plenty of stories of kids losing schollies after HS injuries. It was so prevalent, that there was a story about JVP not pulling the schollie of Brian Milne when he got sick.

Given the history of this happening, the climate of CFB, and attempts to throw money around to compete, it's perfectly fair to ask if a kid's NIL money is guaranteed after a significant injury in HS.
So, I took will ask, do you think Zollers' offer of money to simply show up at Mizzou is guaranteed, or is it at risk?

Really? I read it more as a commentary on the current state of CFB. I know you are all in on soft money and pay for play, but not everyone is. Even before NIL, there are plenty of stories of kids losing schollies after HS injuries. It was so prevalent, that there was a story about JVP not pulling the schollie of Brian Milne when he got sick.

Given the history of this happening, the climate of CFB, and attempts to throw money around to compete, it's perfectly fair to ask if a kid's NIL money is guaranteed after a significant injury in HS.
So, I took will ask, do you think Zollers' offer of money to simply show up at Mizzou is guaranteed, or is it at risk?
Not at all...do they ask that when Pemn State verbals are injured? This was about him picking Mizzou over us. See how it was worded.

Mizzou won't pull it unless the injury is so bad he'll never play again. Just like we'll continue to recruit him.

Milne was only a story because he was "sick" not injured.

I hope for the best for him. We would be on suicide watch on this board if he was committed here. He had an absolute awful out of conference game vs Easton to open the season when he did not look like a division 1 talent and now this injury.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Really? Snark about an injured kid who chose another school?

I don't view it as snark at all. Anyone who has ever signed a contract knows it's a legitimate question. Anyone who has watched teams chew up and spit out players knows it's a legitimate question. Anyone who has watched performance bonuses not get met because of injury knows it's a legitimate question. I hope he had injury insurance.

Really feel bad for the kid. Apparently it was a severe injury so hopefully he makes a full recovery. Not sure if this changes his mind about staying close to home and family that only going to PSU can offer that. Also, it appeared immediate playing time might have been a factor and now redshirting next year to fully recover may be a good option. I saw Zollers play at Easton and he didn’t have a good game. He threw a couple of bad picks and they got blown out so redshirting to me is something to consider. Not many kids are ready to start as a true freshman especially in the SEC. I have no inside information, but as terrible as this injury is it could factor in his decision.

I'm not certain of the intentions of the poster who made the comment, but, from an aerial view, how does it potentially affect what is now only a verbal commitment(?) for a scholarship plus NIL from Mizzou for Zollers?

I'm trying to better understand this process....
It’s the SEC… it’s been rescinded already!

Not at all...do they ask that when Pemn State verbals are injured? This was about him picking Mizzou over us. See how it was worded.

Mizzou won't pull it unless the injury is so bad he'll never play again. Just like we'll continue to recruit him.

Cancer is a pretty career-ending thing. I think you're soft pedaling that. This is certainly a topic on the Penn State board because he's a Pennsylvania kid fought to be a Penn State lean. It's pretty clear he chose mizzou primarily for money, fine. But it's perfectly reasonable to ask if the money is still on the table, even if it's done in a snarky manner, which just so happens to be the primary tone of Internet message boards.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Cancer is a pretty career-ending thing. I think you're soft pedaling that. This is certainly a topic on the Penn State board because he's a Pennsylvania kid fought to be a Penn State lean. It's pretty clear he chose mizzou primarily for money, fine. But it's perfectly reasonable to ask if the money is still on the table, even if it's done in a snarky manner, which just so happens to be the primary tone of Internet message boards.
He was injured. Cancer is a different world altogether. Can't pull that ship or you'll be bashed. Great story.

And then own it was snarky instead of pretending otherwise. Also own that the poster was happy he was injured because he picked another school as is typical here.

He was injured. Cancer is a different world altogether. Can't pull that ship or you'll be bashed. Great story.

And then own it was snarky instead of pretending otherwise. Also own that the poster was happy he was injured because he picked another school as is typical here.

Everyone except Paterno pulled Milne's scholarship. No one got bashed for it.

I'm sorry--how many teams did he accept an offer from?

Are you denying schools pulled their schollies? Milne said they did. If he had a choice higher than Penn State do you think he or any athlete would have said so? It's absurd to say or imply any high school athlete would say he had to settle for his second or lower choice - your whole premise is completely off. Let's also not forget that the 85 schollie limits were being implemented, and each one was extremely valuable. No one batted an eye when every school except one pulled the scholarship instead of potentially tying it up in an athlete with a probable career ender. Milne beat the odds even just to step on the field again

Are you denying schools pulled their schollies? Milne said they did. If he had a choice higher than Penn State do you think he or any athlete would have said so? It's absurd to say or imply any high school athlete would say he had to settle for his second or lower choice - your whole premise is completely off. Let's also not forget that the 85 schollie limits were being implemented, and each one was extremely valuable. No one batted an eye when every school except one pulled the scholarship instead of potentially tying it up in an athlete with a probable career ender. Milne beat the odds even just to step on the field again
What are you talking about? How many did he accept?
An offer means nothing--once he committed if they pulled it that matters.
By December of his senior year he was cancer free and cleared to play sport--he even competed in spring track--are you just making stuff up as you go or do you not recall this?
Do I need to find you an article?

What are you talking about? How many did he accept?
An offer means nothing--once he committed if they pulled it that matters.
By December of his senior year he was cancer free and cleared to play sport--he even competed in spring track--are you just making stuff up as you go or do you not recall this?
Do I need to find you an article?

He played in the East West Shrine game the summer before PSU, but he missed his entire senior season. This is a bizarre argument on your part - that schools somehow catch flak for pulling a scholarship from a player who can't play the game anymore.

He played in the East West Shrine game the summer before PSU, but he missed his entire senior season. This is a bizarre argument on your part - that schools somehow catch flak for pulling a scholarship from a player who can't play the game anymore.
Right he missed his entire senior season and was fully cleared in December. When did he sign with us? Do you remember when signing day was? Did he compete in track all spring which showed us he was well on his way to getting back to where he was?

Where are we saying Zollers "can't play the game anymore"? Everyone other than Mizzou is absolutely allowed to pull their offer. Offers mean nothing. Most aren't even committable.

I don't understand where you're confused. Was Milne committed to a school that pulled the scholarship when he had cancer? No--we all know that. Zollers is committed--Mizzou isn't going to pull that and we aren't going to stop recruiting him.

Right he missed his entire senior season and was fully cleared in December. When did he sign with us? Do you remember when signing day was? Did he compete in track all spring which showed us he was well on his way to getting back to where he was?

Where are we saying Zollers "can't play the game anymore"? Everyone other than Mizzou is absolutely allowed to pull their offer. Offers mean nothing. Most aren't even committable.

I don't understand where you're confused. Was Milne committed to a school that pulled the scholarship when he had cancer? No--we all know that. Zollers is committed--Mizzou isn't going to pull that and we aren't going to stop recruiting him.

You've completely lost track of your argument. Simply put, schools don't catch flak for pulling scholarships, for any reason, and they never have.

You've completely lost track of your argument. Simply put, schools don't catch flak for pulling scholarships, for any reason, and they never have.
You're confusing "scholarships" with "offers"--they're not the same thing
Any offer can be pulled at any time until someone commits. Even after that.
My comment was this "Can't pull that ship or you'll be bashed. " which is true--you can't pull it when a kid has cancer.

Last edited:
Yeah pulling an offer from a kid who gets injured especially a kid that gets cancer is really bad optics. No way Mizzou pulls Zollers offer or scholarship. Any team that does that should get bashed.

The reality is, unless it's a situation where a kid becomes "untakable" (think the QB recruit who flipped from us to Florida then posted a video and caught flak), Missouri doesn't really have to do anything. Hindsight might deem they overpaid, particularly if Zollers never contributes or fails to recapture form, but I commend them for throwing everything they have at a top 5 QB.

With the portal, mistakes can be quickly remedied. For the kid and school alike. Most of our portal acquisitions are kids we previously recruited our of HS.

Any info on the injury coming out yet? Sounds like he's shut down for the year regardless.

You're confusing "scholarships" with "offers"--they're not the same thing
Any offer can be pulled at any time until someone commits. Even after that.
My comment was this "Can't pull that ship or you'll be bashed. " which is true--you can't pull it when a kid has cancer.

Clearly you don't know the difference. Until signing day everything is just an offer. Guess what day hasn't occured yet?

Clearly you don't know the difference. Until signing day everything is just an offer. Guess what day hasn't occured yet?
Correct which means no one pulled a ship from Milne.
And Mizzou can but they won't
And again this isn't cancer. It's not the same.

Paterno also continue to hold a scholarship for a kid from Maryland who played QB and broke his neck swimming in the summer before he was to enroll. Can’t remember his name but he eventually enrolled at Maryland for medical reasons.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8 and Ian

Where did he say or infer that he was happy for the injury? He asked if the bag was guaranteed?

Yeah pulling an offer from a kid who gets injured especially a kid that gets cancer is really bad optics. No way Mizzou pulls Zollers offer or scholarship. Any team that does that should get bashed.
Easy to keep the schollie offer, but pull the bag of Ca$h that made him commit

I'm not certain of the intentions of the poster who made the comment, but, from an aerial view, how does it potentially affect what is now only a verbal commitment(?) for a scholarship plus NIL from Mizzou for Zollers?

I'm trying to better understand this process....

who knows, but kids get hurt and recover all the time, I doubt that he will get thrown under the bus.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
I don't know specifically how NIL works vis-a-vis a player who has pledged their commitment but have not yet signed, but if that were my son, I would like for him to have a contract that stipulates that when he signs with 'X' team, that he gets 'Y' NIL$'s.

Just my thoughts....

I don't know specifically how NIL works vis-a-vis a player who has pledged their commitment but have not yet signed, but if that were my son, I would like for him to have a contract that stipulates that when he signs with 'X' team, that he gets 'Y' NIL$'s.

Just my thoughts....
I would at expect least some just for public commitment as they generate publicity, sell tickets, help in other recruiting, more.

For a top kid I bet $50,000-100,000 upfront is standard.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT