ADVERTISEMENT

McAfee doing PSU a favor

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
The dialog around this being the most important game in Morgantown for 25 years, makes a victory tomorrow by PSU that more meaningful.

WVU will be jacked to play.....but they have not seen a defense like PSU in the Big 12. I like our chances a lot. Do not see WVU scoring over 20.

PSU 27 - WVU 1 7.

Singleton 100 yards
Allar 250 yards passing.
Carter - 2 sacks
DDS matchup will be very interesting as WVU has a day 1 or day 2 OT.....however the OT on the Carter side, very green.

Very happy that WVU center from last year will be starting for the Steelers not the Eers tomorrow.

PSU will improve a lot through 2024.....but should still get the W tomorrow.

I love Pat....he is great for college football, and I love that he is totally unfiltered. I was off work today so I got to see it live and thought it was impressive, WVU fans are pumped, and although it was basically a WVU pep rally, good for them. I lived in western Maryland, right next to the WV border for over 2 years and those folks love their Mountaineer football.

Should be a tough game in that environment, but I'm confident the Nittany Lions will prevail. After tomorrow I'll pull for the Mountaineers but I'm hoping we dominant them and quiet the crowd.

Last edited:
It's only a favor to us if WVU is actually good this year. The hype doesn't matter if they don't live up to it. ND is a prime example of that most years.

Reactions: CanGeeB
I love Pat....he is great for college football, and I love that he is totally unfiltered. I was off work today so I got to see it live and thought it was impressive, WVU fans are pumped, and although it was basically a WVU pep rally, good for them. I lived in western Maryland, right next to the WVU border for over 2 years and those folks love their Mountaineer football.

Should be a tough game in that environment, but I'm confident the Nittany Lions will prevail. After tomorrow I'll pull for the Mountaineers but I'm hoping we dominant them and quiet the crowd.
That scene is what college football should be about. Good for them.

I love Pat....he is great for college football, and I love that he is totally unfiltered. I was off work today so I got to see it live and thought it was impressive, WVU fans are pumped, and although it was basically a WVU pep rally, good for them. I lived in western Maryland, right next to the WVU border for over 2 years and those folks love their Mountaineer football.

Did you by chance hear what A.Q. said about Penn State fans? My buddy thought he heard him praise the WVU fans and say the PSU fans suck, or something like that. He said the audio was a little messed up.

The dialog around this being the most important game in Morgantown for 25 years, makes a victory tomorrow by PSU that more meaningful.

WVU will be jacked to play.....but they have not seen a defense like PSU in the Big 12. I like our chances a lot. Do not see WVU scoring over 20.

PSU 27 - WVU 1 7.

Singleton 100 yards
Allar 250 yards passing.
Carter - 2 sacks
DDS matchup will be very interesting as WVU has a day 1 or day 2 OT.....however the OT on the Carter side, very green.

Very happy that WVU center from last year will be starting for the Steelers not the Eers tomorrow.

PSU will improve a lot through 2024.....but should still get the W tomorrow.

What a short memory Pat has. Most meaningful game in Morgantown in 25 years? He’s forgetting his nightmare game where he missed 2 FGs, (and knocked his team out of the national championship game), with a 13-9 loss to Pitt in the 2007 season finale. ;)

Last edited:
I liked the part where he talked about WVU Fullback Owen Schmidt. Said that Owen would rush for 80 yards....pancake 5 guys and then go out on Saturday night and drink 50 beers. Pat called him a WVU legend.

I remember Schmidt - hoss of a guy.

The OP in this was pretty spot on......Carter did not get two sacks but was very impactful....DDS actually underperformed what I was expecting and Allar only 216 yards.....but on 17 throws. Biggest surprise was Allar's effective running, he picked up a ton of first downs on 3rd and 8, 3rd and 6. Also the pass blocking was very good even with all of the substitutions. WVU without a powerful def. line definately helped in keeping Drew clean.

WVU offense looked like PSU last year with every catch being a contested catch. WVU had maybe 1 slant that was a fairly easy throw where the WR was open but almost every other catch was very contested. PSU had guys running free. Allar missed his first throw and maybe no other throws after that. He only had 6 incompletes and he threw the ball away 2-3 times.... After the first 5 minutes PSU played a very strong offensive and defensive game. Allen seemed to make the decision that we could run with the WVU WRs and he focused on stopping the WVU running game, knowing that Greene was not going to complete 4-5 passes in a drive to take WVU down the field. The same defense that PSU seemed to face all of last year.

What a short memory Pat has. Most meaningful game in Morgantown in 25 years? He’s forgetting his nightmare game where he missed 2 FGs, (and knocked his team out of the national championship game), with a 13-9 loss to Pitt in the 2007 season finale. ;)
He did talk about that. To be fair

Reactions: psu00
The OP in this was pretty spot on......Carter did not get two sacks but was very impactful....DDS actually underperformed what I was expecting and Allar only 216 yards.....but on 17 throws. Biggest surprise was Allar's effective running, he picked up a ton of first downs on 3rd and 8, 3rd and 6. Also the pass blocking was very good even with all of the substitutions. WVU without a powerful def. line definately helped in keeping Drew clean.

WVU offense looked like PSU last year with every catch being a contested catch. WVU had maybe 1 slant that was a fairly easy throw where the WR was open but almost every other catch was very contested. PSU had guys running free. Allar missed his first throw and maybe no other throws after that. He only had 6 incompletes and he threw the ball away 2-3 times.... After the first 5 minutes PSU played a very strong offensive and defensive game. Allen seemed to make the decision that we could run with the WVU WRs and he focused on stopping the WVU running game, knowing that Greene was not going to complete 4-5 passes in a drive to take WVU down the field. The same defense that PSU seemed to face all of last year.
WVUs DL is the strength of their defense. Almost everybody returned. LBer and DB are their question marks

DDS played so good that WVU moved Milam from LT to RT to block him. Almost every early successful run that WVU had went to the left. I'm not positive at what point the move was made, but WVU had very little rushing success after the 1st quarter.

Considering we didn't blitz the house to create pressure, that was huge. 4 man pressure with lane integrity and outside contain is THE ideal defensive front. Against teams that will let passes develop longer with less mobile QBs, the sacks will come.

The offense showed key improvements. Allar throwing on time, in rhythm along with his rushes after maneuvering the pocket. That pump fake on the one scramble was the difference in 4 yards and getting the first down.

Singleton breaking 2 big runs is huge. He didn't have ANY last year. Still work to do in the run game (the 0-2 yard rushes were in the 12-15 range), but AK at least showed some chess moves based on WVU selling out to stop Allen, even Beau. 2 of our TDs came from these plays: 1. Allen's reception where the LB came down to the LoS then didn't pick Allen up on the route; 2. Warren's reception had Allen on the Jet Sweep with Beau at QB, which probably looked like 107% "run, run, run" to the defense before Beau fired the pass in the window created by the run action.

Once we went up 27-6, it seemed we were content to run clock. A 3-n-out and then a 5-n-out where we didn't attack at all just seems to indicate this to me. After the WVU TD, we came out with the 2nd big Singleton run of the day and then set them up for the Beau TD pass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT