ADVERTISEMENT

Football Mega Barnwell no longer listed on PSU roster

Added our story to the OP. He was severely out of shape.

I would have figured this had something to do with moving him to OT or DT. I believe he cut weight last summer because he wants to be a TE. Seems to me the staff may have pushed for a position change prior to fall camp after letting him have winter/spring at TE, but I'm just speculating.

I would have figured this had something to do with moving him to OT or DT. I believe he cut weight last summer because he wants to be a TE. Seems to me the staff may have pushed for a position change prior to fall camp after letting him have winter/spring at TE, but I'm just speculating.
That would make sense. He really seemed to be fighting the position switch both in terms of his desired position and his body composition. At some point, he will likely be playing OT or DT for someone is my guess.

Isn’t the portal closed? How long will he have to wait? Can he ‘join’ a team as a non scholarship and go through PT to improve his conditioning?

Or is he going to have to sit out the entire season and just work out with personal trainers?

Isn’t the portal closed? How long will he have to wait? Can he ‘join’ a team as a non scholarship and go through PT to improve his conditioning?

Or is he going to have to sit out the entire season and just work out with personal trainers?

Closed until the winter window.

Word is, he lost the love football according to an On3 poster. So maybe it doesn't matter if he's not playing.

Reactions: bison13

Word is, he lost the love football according to an On3 poster. So maybe it doesn't matter if he's not playing.
Funny how football can lose its charm when everyone is as big, strong and quick as you are. I recall a girl crying in my freshman English composition class when our first graded papers were returned. Seems she received a "B." It was for her a first. I was pleased with a C-....consistent with my stellar high school academic career.

Funny how football can lose its charm when everyone is as big, strong and quick as you are. I recall a girl crying in my freshman English composition class when our first graded papers were returned. Seems she received a "B." It was for her a first. I was pleased with a C-....consistent with my stellar high school academic career.

Very true.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Seems to me the OL has the execution of his strategy well in place, knows the type of players he wants, has had some success developing his past recruits, has a few as projected high draft picks, all which bodes well for the recruiting process. He's not sitting on just a few players and ready to pull the trigger but not shooting blind with offers-just wondering if this year's 'basket' of OL recruits is full.

Easy to lose the love when you actually have to work hard to get on the field. I think multiple layers to it but lots of posters here hitting it on the head, out of shape, move to different position, etc all leading to not 'loving' it

Easy to lose the love when you actually have to work hard to get on the field. I think multiple layers to it but lots of posters here hitting it on the head, out of shape, move to different position, etc all leading to not 'loving' it
sort of like that ALE guy a few years ago?

Well now…..that’s different.

Top level college football is a demanding beast. It takes full commitment, year round. Long days of workouts and conditioning. Constant monitoring of nutritional intake for maximum results. Practices can be brutal and players are often walking bruises, head to toe.

Add that to the universal angst of freshman year of college…..away from home, away from friends, classes are much tougher and much faster. Competition of all aspects is far better. The confusion of being in a new city that can be disorienting for a few months. It’s a huge reason that Joe didn't believe in playing freshmen…..allow them time to adapt and adjust.

If he no longer has the love of the game that is understandable. But don’t be surprised if he shows up at a D1 team next year after time to settle in.

Well now…..that’s different.

Top level college football is a demanding beast. It takes full commitment, year round. Long days of workouts and conditioning. Constant monitoring of nutritional intake for maximum results. Practices can be brutal and players are often walking bruises, head to toe.

Add that to the universal angst of freshman year of college…..away from home, away from friends, classes are much tougher and much faster. Competition of all aspects is far better. The confusion of being in a new city that can be disorienting for a few months. It’s a huge reason that Joe didn't believe in playing freshmen…..allow them time to adapt and adjust.

If he no longer has the love of the game that is understandable. But don’t be surprised if he shows up at a D1 team next year after time to settle in.
Agreed. College ball, at this point, becomes a business and not a game. Following these kids on twitter, they are up at 5am, working out, studying, eating a diet made up by a dietitian (no fun foods) and a massive time commitment for group workouts and film study. I know players that have told me that practices become "life and death". Kids that have no other path look at Football as their only opportunity. Practice becomes the game...very competitive and chippy. No fun.

Agreed. College ball, at this point, becomes a business and not a game. Following these kids on twitter, they are up at 5am, working out, studying, eating a diet made up by a dietitian (no fun foods) and a massive time commitment for group workouts and film study. I know players that have told me that practices become "life and death". Kids that have no other path look at Football as their only opportunity. Practice becomes the game...very competitive and chippy. No fun.
My nephew played football and graduated with a kid who was an early enrollee at a perennial top 10 program. He was able to show up for his graduation, but was heading back to campus the next day. According to his mom, he was at the football complex 4-5 hours per day during the spring and is still there a few hours a day for off-season prep.

That said, it isn't new. Even in the early 80's, athletes at PSU never had much of an off season. What time they had consisted of a couple weeks. If you didn't love it, you weren't go to last. Who would want to have their life consumed with something they didn't enjoy?

My nephew played football and graduated with a kid who was an early enrollee at a perennial top 10 program. He was able to show up for his graduation, but was heading back to campus the next day. According to his mom, he was at the football complex 4-5 hours per day during the spring and is still there a few hours a day for off-season prep.

That said, it isn't new. Even in the early 80's, athletes at PSU never had much of an off season. What time they had consisted of a couple weeks. If you didn't love it, you weren't go to last. Who would want to have their life consumed with something they didn't enjoy?
agree. but just like a normal kid transitioning from high school and home life, sometimes it isn't so smooth

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT