ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day

I am a vietnam vet. I served with the 1st infantry division sept 68 to sept 69
W132-1st-infantry-division-car-sticker-window-decal.jpg

Hey guys, who are veterans over here? Memorial Day is the commeration of all who have fallen for our country but I want to thank all of you veterans for your service.[/QUOTEProudly I can say that I am a 22 year A
I can proudly respond by telling everyone that I am a retired Air Force veteran of 22 years......sorely miss those days!!!

...U.S.Army Corps of Engineers ...
...1954-56...

...my older brother was shot down over Germany as a ball turret gunner on a
B-17 in 1945...

Andro, those ball turret guys had it tuff. Hey you, get in this ball of plastic sticking out of the belly of the plane and get into fire fights with Messerschmitts firing multiple high caliber machine guns. I know it's been many years but I still offer my condolences.

For anybody looking for something retrospective to watch this memorial day, check out this documentary free on youtube. It's called the Air War in HD. In my opinion, one of the best ever made about world war II aviation. It's about the Eighth Air Force and has some incredible footage and interviews including a particularly sad story about a ball turret gunner. Andro, I'm guessing your brother may very well have been part of one of the groups in the Eighth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I want to thank all those who responded to my statement of service to our country. All I can say is "Wow, what a surprise!". I never expected anything like that. Secondly, I also want to thank all the other posters who indicated that they served our country. You are very much appreciated.

A humbling Memorial Day. Thank you to all who served.....in field and at home. Blessings to those who gave their all......to their families and loved ones.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
FT...yes, he was with the 401st Bomb Group of the 8th Air Force...
...flew out of a little hilltop field at
Deenethorpe... I visited the field about 10 years ago... 2 of the 3 runways are overgrown ... a flying club uses the 3rd...

Not a Vet, but participated Murph Workout yesterday and Zimmerman Workout today via Crossfit Gym. Had moving moments honoring these two heroes both prior and after the events.

I completely and whole-heartily agree with all the thanks and sentiment here. Went to the Memorial Day parade this morning in Hanover, a celebration of vets and current military everywhere. Sad, as my father (Korean War - Army) just passed away in March, and we've been going to this parade together for many, many decades...

This is a great thread fellas. I actually just retired from the Army in January after 25+ years of active duty service (Sep 1990 - Jan 2016). I now work for the VA so I still get the opportunity to serve. Enjoy the day, the fun and more importantly the beer :) Thanks to all that have served.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT