ADVERTISEMENT

Men over 40 fashion advice thoughts.

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Here are 40 things a man should never wear (My Y, AGREE or N on the end)
1. Flips flops unless you’re near a pool or beach. Y
2. Flamboyant pocket squares. All it says is you pay $1,200 a month for a car you can’t afford. Y
3. Statement socks. They don’t give you personality or style. N
4. Cargo shorts. N
5. Turtlenecks. Circumcise that sweater. Y
6. The guilt of your ancestors’ sins. Y
7. A pro sports jersey with another man’s name on the back of it. Y
8. Facial hair that doesn’t look intentional. Y
9. Jewelry (other than watches and wedding rings). The only thing more disappointing for a woman than seeing a desirable man with a wedding band on, is seeing a ring on any other finger. Y
10. Backwards or flat brim baseball caps. Or any hat inside. Y
11. Pleated or cuffed pants. Y
12. Sneakers with a suit. It’s a good look for 1% of men, but you’re not David Beckham. Y
13. Fashion watches - Chanel, Hermes, Gucci, and even Cartier. N
14. Hoodies after the age of 40, unless the weather requires it. N
15. Double-breasted suits. The vast majority of men can’t pull it off. Y
16. Any shorts longer than the knees. Y
17. Skinny or ripped jeans. Y
18. Vineyard Vines. N
19. Country club logo golf shirts where you’re not a member. I don’t care if you played Pebble once, it’s a conversation-starter for losers. N
20. Short-sleeve button-down shirts. N
21. Identifiably-designer belts. Y
22. Dirty sneakers in the office. Even with a relaxed dress code, you should take care of sneakers in the same manner as dress shoes. Y
23. Oxford collars.Y
24. A backpack. Y
25. Tevas, Crocs, Birkenstocks, or Uggs. Y
26. Bowties without a tuxedo. N
27. Monk straps, tassels, or square-toed shoes. Y
28. Deep V-neck t-shirts. Y
29. A fake watch. Y
30. Dress shirts with a pocket. Y
31. Baggy clothes. Get the essentials, even jeans, tailored. Y
32. Anything with big logos. Y
33. Your heart on your sleeve. Y
34. Sports sunglasses. Quality shades serve an important function; they let women know you appreciate nice things and are responsible enough not to lose them. Y
35. Noticeable cologne. Men generally have a weak sense of smell and get desensitized to their own scent, so it’s worse than you realize. N
36. Graphic t-shirts. N
37. Pajama pants in public. Y
38. Windsor tie knots. Y (is there an option?)
39. A “going out” shirt. N
40. Women’s clothing. Y

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
Turtlenecks - NO
Pajama Pants in Public - NO
Baseball Cap work backwards - Not typically but essential on a boat

Women's clothing? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Haha
Reactions: JimNazium and Fac
GMWQOL1XUAAMSjJ

I guess I need to get rid of my Roberto Clemente number 21 jersey.

I never wear it but it is in my closet.
I gotta tell you, I do some of that stuff and don’t do some of the others and I absolutely do not give a shit what anyone thinks about the stuff I do other than my wife and maybe my kids. Not only do I wear pleated pants with cuffs, I often roll them up! Dress shirts with a pocket? Are you kidding me? Where else would you put your monogram? I am also happy to report that I wore cologne every day of my professional career including over half at employers who had a policy against it. (It worked out well after business hours as well.)

Last edited:
Maybe there should be certain age cut-off for certain things. I'm 70 and retired and regularly wear stuff that I wouldn't consider when younger (and vice versa).

2. Flamboyant pocket squares. All it says is you pay $1,200 a month for a car you can’t afford. Y
4. Cargo shorts. N
9. Jewelry (other than watches and wedding rings). The only thing more disappointing for a woman than seeing a desirable man with a wedding band on, is seeing a ring on any other finger. Y
12. Sneakers with a suit. It’s a good look for 1% of men, but you’re not David Beckham. Y
18. Vineyard Vines. N
19. Country club logo golf shirts where you’re not a member. I don’t care if you played Pebble once, it’s a conversation-starter for losers. N
22. Dirty sneakers in the office. Even with a relaxed dress code, you should take care of sneakers in the same manner as dress shoes. Y
23. Oxford collars.Y
24. A backpack. Y
29. A fake watch. Y
34. Sports sunglasses. Quality shades serve an important function; they let women know you appreciate nice things and are responsible enough not to lose them. Y
35. Noticeable cologne. Men generally have a weak sense of smell and get desensitized to their own scent, so it’s worse than you realize. N
36. Graphic t-shirts. N
40. Women’s clothing. Y
I'd feel sorry for any adult "man" that feels that they must seek the approval of some metrosexual freelance writer who is likely gender-confused and in a field about to be replaced by AI. Trying to follow some list of 40 social pressure don'ts is pretty sad.

How about this? Simply be you. Be authentically you. Don't be some feeble-minded beta male seeking the approval of whatever social pressures that you think will make people like you more.

Have the balls to dress like you whether that is keeping up with trends or wearing the trends of your heyday. The people that you care about that care about you will accept that this is you. And I'll have respect for you, because you don't need to try to be anyone else and can think for yourself.

I gotta tell you, I do some of that stuff and don’t do some of the others and I absolutely do not give a shit what anyone thinks about the stuff I do other than my wife and maybe my kids. Not only do I wear pleated pants with cuffs, I often roll them up! Dress shirts with a pocket? Are you kidding me? Where else would you put your monogram? I am also happy to report that I wore cologne every day of my professional career including over half at employers who had a policy against it. (It worked out well after business hours as well.)
I too wear pleated dress pants. They are classic style. I have some "flat front"pants with my suits; don't really like the look and feel. I no longer wear cuffed pants, but I don't get offended if someone wears them. I occasionally wear dress shirts with pockets. I wear casual cargo shorts and pants. I don't overload them but find them functional.
I wear what I feel comfortable in and what my wife likes. I am often complimented on my fashion choices.

Don't take fashion advice from anyone from Pennsylvania.

You are more likely to get duck dynasty/deer hunter than Tory Burch.

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
4. Cargo shorts. N
18. Vineyard Vines. N
23. Oxford collars.Y
24. A backpack. Y
29. A fake watch. Y
36. Graphic t-shirts. N
40. Women’s clothing. Y

Real men don't give a crap about any of these rules. Wear what you want, within reason ... and if any catty, judgmental POS says anything about it, tell them to buy a clue and go back to high school where they'll fit in.

Dude's smiling at the beach and looks to be enjoying himself.
Exactly. Too many people are extremely superficial. So the guy is overweight, maybe from Europe, but seems happy. My guess is that majority of the people that post here are overweight too.

Not a big deal. Different from you doesn't mean make fun of or attack unless you have the mental capacity of the average teenager.

Exactly. Too many people are extremely superficial. So the guy is overweight, maybe from Europe, but seems happy. My guess is that majority of the people that post here are overweight too.
The point wasn't that he's overweight. The point was that a thong looks better on younger people who are fit. Not so much for overweight people over 40.

They should have a blaze Orange Game at the Beav - I but most attending won't have to go out shopping for a new outfit for the game - not that there is anything wrong with that.

I’m 75 and always tuck in my shirt. When I was working we had a lot of guys that walked around untucked. Most had beer guts they were trying to hide.
I do not mind shirts designed to be untucked but most will end up too long for me to wear untucked.

4. Cargo shorts. N
18. Vineyard Vines. N
23. Oxford collars.Y
24. A backpack. Y
29. A fake watch. Y
36. Graphic t-shirts. N
40. Women’s clothing. Y
I'm pretty much in agreement. I can dress causal for work but do not want to look like a bum. If I run in after hours or on the weekend, I'm very casual.

Reactions: Ski and Obliviax
I'm pretty much in agreement. I can dress causal for work but do not want to look like a bum. If I run in after hours or on the weekend, I'm very casual.
Agree. I think there is some validity to keeping up with fashion trends. I don't need to dress like Kendrick Lamar but I don't want to look like Emily Litella either. I've noticed a good look for me is blue jeans (not stressed but solid blue jeans) with all white sneakers a golf shirt and a jacket. Typically, I'll wear a white golf shirt. I've been told a modified cargo short is coming back. The old cotton ones are out as they get misshapen easily but the newer micro fibers are cool. My wife hates men in flip flops so that it OK by me. I don't wear any jewelry other than a apple watch, my wedding ring and a string bracelet thing my daughter made for me.

They should have a blaze Orange Game at the Beav - I but most attending won't have to go out shopping for a new outfit for the game - not that there is anything wrong with that.
It would be great to have a "Blaze Out" when one of the SoCal teams visit - their fans wouldn't know what was going on. BTW, if evolution holds true, deer fur will be blaze orange in 100,000 years

Reactions: Ski
Don't get the facial hair one, #8? Is this if you missed spots shaving or just didn't want to shave for about a week? So a week old beard and mustache growth is not allowed because it is not intentional even if you intentionally did not shave?

Don't get the facial hair one, #8? Is this if you missed spots shaving or just didn't want to shave for about a week? So a week old beard and mustache growth is not allowed because it is not intentional even if you intentionally did not shave?
I am 75, 6'1" and 200 lbs. Good size for a safety, but my 40yard time is not great. In the summer I live in cargo shorts. In the spring and fall I live in rugby shirts. Rugby shirts are heavy, breathable cotton, suitable for a wide range of temps, and they last forever.

I've noticed a good look for me is blue jeans (not stressed but solid blue jeans) with all white sneakers a golf shirt and a jacket. Typically, I'll wear a white golf shirt.

That might fit the description for the least interesting man on the planet. Are you 80, retired middle management going for the early bird special at Red Lobster? But, again, you do you and don't worry about what other people think.

• Haha
Reactions: Vic Vaselino
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT