ADVERTISEMENT

mental health needs of athletes

psykim

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
This year two of the top women athletes-Biles in gymnastics at the Olympic games yesterday, and Osaka at tennis earlier this year, highlighted the
mental health needs of athletes. The most decorated Olympic athlete of all time Michael Phelps discusses openly his mental
health needs and advocates for mental health counseling for athletes throughout their athletic career. Besides the extraordinary
pressure of the training and being in the spotlight, the post Olympic depression period has been discussed for years. Many of the
Olympians leave the games in which if they win or medal reach a pinnacle that it is hard to duplicate throughout the rest of their life. Whatever
attention they receive during and after the Olympics goes away at some point for most. They then have to develop a post Olympic
career in which they can get a sense of purpose and hopefully joy. It is not easy for all and many struggle and have mental health needs.
I think of PSU football players. We want every PSU football player we recruit to come here with the idea that he will start, be a good or
great player, and many dream of a NFL career. Some get their career shortened by illness or injury like Journey Brown. Others for one
reason or another just do not excel or even start. With 85 scholarships only 22 can start (plus special teamers). It has to be
difficult to practice so hard and barely play or be a backup QB who can not beat out the new star recruit. Others may have
family stresses as we see on this board with the death of a parent of a PSU player. Others struggle with the pressures of
playing for 100000 plus. When mistakes are made by a player not all can shrug it off and move ahead as all athletes
have to do. I know PSU provides psychological services to athletes- I do not know what form it takes but it is
crucial for all athletes to have these services because of the special challenges they face emotionally being a student athlete and developing
a post sports career for the majority who do not make the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News