ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Munchak is proof to what a good coach can do to an O-Line

PennStateNate

Feb 2, 2014
Remember how they were worst in the NFL? Not anymore. I believe they are one of the best O-Lines. They lost Pouncey and still didn't miss a beat. Having a guy like DeCastro helps, but Munchak should get volumes of credit.

Remember how they were worst in the NFL? Not anymore. I believe they are one of the best O-Lines. They lost Pouncey and still didn't miss a beat. Having a guy like DeCastro helps, but Munchak should get volumes of credit.
Can't compare NFL to college. If Penn State could have signed a bunch of free agents and used a first round pick on an offensive linemen then you would see a remarkable turn around also. It is two completely different games.

Can't compare NFL to college. If Penn State could have signed a bunch of free agents and used a first round pick on an offensive linemen then you would see a remarkable turn around also. It is two completely different games.

Penn State recruited better linemen than Temple did. PSU had 2 sacks. Temple had 10. Our D-Line is no slouch either.

The sanctions excuse is BS. Butler defenders used it and then Shoop completely turned the Defense around. Coaching matters. Stop being lazy and blaming sanctions on every little issue we face.

Penn State recruited better linemen than Temple did. PSU had 2 sacks. Temple had 10. Our D-Line is no slouch either.

The sanctions excuse is BS. Butler defenders used it and then Shoop completely turned the Defense around. Coaching matters. Stop being lazy and blaming sanctions on every little issue we face.
And those linemen turned out to be busts. Most of those players are playing by default because of poor recruiting during those years. There simply weren't the numbers to bring in the same number of linemen you normally would.

And those linemen turned out to be busts. Most of those players are playing by default because of poor recruiting during those years. There simply weren't the numbers to bring in the same number of linemen you normally would.

Temple's O-Line is made up of 3 unranked prospects and 2-2 stars. They were COACHED UP to become decent starters. Meanwhile Twitter Man has gotten our line to REGRESS. Which I truly didn't feel was possible.

But hey, if blaming sanctions for everything makes you feel comfortable because you can't accept the deficiencies with some of the offensive coaches, then have at it....

Temple's O-Line is made up of 3 unranked prospects and 2-2 stars. They were COACHED UP to become decent starters. Meanwhile Twitter Man has gotten our line to REGRESS. Which I truly didn't feel was possible.

But hey, if blaming sanctions for everything makes you feel comfortable because you can't accept the deficiencies with some of the offensive coaches, then have at it....
It is reality. It not like he for got how to coach when he got to Penn State. Right now Temples offensive linemen are more talented then Penn State's. Recruiting rankings are not perfect. I could put together a list of 4 star olinemen from Penn State that no matter who was coaching would be terrible. Antoine Logan-El was a top rated linemen. I don't care who was coaching him he still would not have produce at this level.

[The problem is they are not developing the talent they have.

If the OL numbers we so low then why aren't we recruiting more OL to make up for it? We always seem to have room for another DB but not a OL.

It is reality. It not like he for got how to coach when he got to Penn State. Right now Temples offensive linemen are more talented then Penn State's. Recruiting rankings are not perfect. I could put together a list of 4 star olinemen from Penn State that no matter who was coaching would be terrible. Antoine Logan-El was a top rated linemen. I don't care who was coaching him he still would not have produce at this level.

LOL. Yeah, Hand just got unlucky. He just managed to fail at coaching up every single lineman. Thats it.

Yes. Recruiting rankings aren't perfect. That's why a COACH recruits the players. A quality coach isn't relying on Rivals or Lemming or Steele or whoever.

Yes. Recruiting rankings aren't perfect. That's why a COACH recruits the players. A quality coach isn't relying on Rivals or Lemming or Steele or whoever.
And unfortunately for Hand and company these guys weren't evaluated or picked by them.

[The problem is they are not developing the talent they have.

If the OL numbers we so low then why aren't we recruiting more OL to make up for it? We always seem to have room for another DB but not a OL.
They are but it takes time. Unlike most positions you can't expect a freshmen to walk in and have an impact.

Reactions: psualt
I just can't get y had around that 4 of these guys were playing against BC last year and looked pretty good. What the heck happened ????
Maybe Donavon can restore the game plan for BC going forward.

Reactions: BBrown
LOL. Yeah, Hand just got unlucky. He just managed to fail at coaching up every single lineman. Thats it.
How do you know it coaching vs talent? Some guys just lack talent. There is no magic fix. Penn State fans should have learned that by now. For years it was the weight program, zone blocking, Jay Paterno, ect.

Many teams have true Fr and rFr playing on the line. Texas has 2 true Freshman starting on their OL this year and USC had 2 starting for them last year.
We expect Fr to come in and be able to play at every other position why not OL?

Many teams have true Fr and rFr playing on the line. Texas has 2 true Freshman starting on their OL this year and USC had 2 starting for them last year.
It happens but not often. Most of the time they struggle. Ask any coach and it not something they expect or want to do.

Probably because of sanctions. Or the BOT. Or something.

and did you see how bad Texas's O-line was against? It was really, really bad.

There are very, very few FR that can come in and compete immediately on the O-line and succeed.
Do you remember D'Brickashaw Ferguson? He started as a true freshman and went on to be have a pretty good pro career but he was absolutely abused by our DE in that game. They just aren't ready.
Stefan Wisniewski is one of the few I can think of that was good as a Fr. but I can't remember if he was a true frosh or a RS.

I just can't get y had around that 4 of these guys were playing against BC last year and looked pretty good. What the heck happened ????
Maybe Donavon can restore the game plan for BC going forward.

But we still couldn't run the ball against BC!

and did you see how bad Texas's O-line was against? It was really, really bad.

There are very, very few FR that can come in and compete immediately on the O-line and succeed.
Do you remember D'Brickashaw Ferguson? He started as a true freshman and went on to be have a pretty good pro career but he was absolutely abused by our DE in that game. They just aren't ready.
Stefan Wisniewski is one of the few I can think of that was good as a Fr. but I can't remember if he was a true frosh or a RS.

I don't think their QB was sacked 10 times. Plus Strong made changes and demoted his OC as he was not happy with the offense.
Do you think our OL play is going to get better with CJF saying he is going to be rotating OL in and out of the game? Not sure how they expect to play better as a unit if you keep changing the pieces

Reactions: Louisville JD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT