ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Hall of Fame

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
Once again saw Richie Allen did not make it, missed by one vote, same as last vote. Did anyone here see him play. For me, the best power hitter I ever saw live. Rocket like liners (didn't have exit speed in those days, I wonder), continued to rise and clanged off the upper deck at Connie Mack or was it still Shibe Park? Thoughts on Jimmy Rollins making it, better numbers than Peewee Reese and Phil Rizzuto, they had the NY factor. By the way if you ever met Rollins, terrifically humble guy.

Growing up in PA, there were a lot of school ballparks we played at that had legendary homeruns that he hit while a youth.

Reactions: Fac
Well, the Hall just added a bunch of old timers who with the exception of O'Neill and Kaat (who had 283 wins) probably don't belong there. Oliva, Wills, and Hodges were good players, but not HoF'ers in my book. So I would not advocate Rollins getting in, and probably not Richie/Dick Allen, either. Both were good, but the Hall should, IMHO, be reserved for the truly great. Rizzuto and Reese should not be in, either.

Last edited:
Well, it depends on how exclusive you wanna make the Hall. No slam on Allen.
I can agree on that but compared to some of the others who have been put in this year and in previous years I would take him in a heartbeat and I'm not even a Phillies fan. I can't believe Harold Baines is in and if Harold Baines is in then Allen needs to be in

Dave Parker should be in. Guy was the dominant outfielder of the mid 70s to mid 80s. Did it all. MVP, 2 WS, back to back batting titles, 3 GGs. The MVP and 2nd batting title were accomplished playing with a broken jaw. The guy never came out of the lineup. 3 Rivers and all of the other concrete turf stadiums destroyed his knees.

ASG throw (no hop)

Allen was the first black minor league player in the state of Arkansas which was a hotbed of racism and a crucible of the civil rights movement. Eisenhower sent troops to a school so two black girls could go to school. Arkansas was also the site of the massacre at Elaine in which at least 200 and as many as 237 blacks, mostly sharecroppers and their families, were killed in 1919. He was the target of a ton of racist comments and threats.

When he played in Philadelphia he had to wear a batting helmet in his own home stadium as people would throw stuff at him. Yet he was one of the best to ever play. Having survived and prospered in all that should have made him a first ballet inductee.

Dick Allen had a 156 career OPS+… good for 22nd best all time. He should be in IMO … especially when compared to some of the guys who have been inducted recently

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Once again saw Richie Allen did not make it, missed by one vote, same as last vote. Did anyone here see him play. For me, the best power hitter I ever saw live. Rocket like liners (didn't have exit speed in those days, I wonder), continued to rise and clanged off the upper deck at Connie Mack or was it still Shibe Park? Thoughts on Jimmy Rollins making it, better numbers than Peewee Reese and Phil Rizzuto, they had the NY factor. By the way if you ever met Rollins, terrifically humble guy.
Although the stadium was called Connie Mack I don't believe they ever really changed the name from Shibe Park. At the time old guys called it Shibe and we youngsters called it CM. Saw him play there with the helmet on and as mentioned when he really go "into" a baseball it looked like a golf ball flying and flying. Made a lot of enemies but he should be in the HOF.

Well, the Hall just added a bunch of old timers who with the exception of O'Neill and Kaat (who had 283 wins) probably don't belong there. Oliva, Wills, and Hodges were good players, but not HoF'ers in my book. So I would not advocate Rollins getting in, and probably not Richie/Dick Allen, either. Both were good, but the Hall should, IMHO, be reserved for the truly great. Rizzuto and Reese should not be in, either.
Agree with the general sentiment of the HoF, although I wouldn’t have included Kaat either. Have to admit I don’t know enough about Buck O’Neill and had assumed he was already in (isn’t there an award with his name?).

As for Hodges, was he manager of ‘69 Mets? If so, I would think the combo of that with his playing makes his inclusion justified.

Why can't they be like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame where everybody gets in?

Why can't they be like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame where everybody gets in?
I am not in. do you actually have to be an artist or can I just fill out some kind of form?

That’s where this is headed. Harold Baines in the Hall is an absolute freaking joke.
Often, people don't realize it but these HoFs are simply third-party companies trying to make a buck. They have no or very loose affiliations with the sports leagues.

I recall being named into the High School Who's Who list. I ordered the books and came to realize it had about a million kids name's in it. It was really a scam to name you and get you to buy the books which were expensive and the pages edged in gold paint. When I read about the sport's HoFs, I think of those crazy books.

Reactions: Fac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT