ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Musings ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
so we're halfway thru September -- a date at which you can draw some reasonable conclusions about the MLB races.

In the AL, we have some excellent races.

In the East, Toronto's offensive juggernaut continues to keep them ahead of the Yankees. That race could go down to the last weekend. Baltimore has made some runs, but they are a disappointment to me, being 2 games under 500. The Red Sox's season has been a disaster from start to finish.

In the Central, KC seems to have pretty much locked up the division, though their poor play of late is something to watch. Kind of strange to see the White Sox and the Tigers at the bottom of the division, as I thought each had more talent than that.

In the West, Texas leads Houston by 1/2 game, and the Angels by 4. Houston seems to be fading at the wrong time, though it's too soon to count them out.

If the season ended today, the Yankees and Houston would be in the wildcard, with the Twins just 1.5 games back, the Angels 3.5 games back, and the Indians 5 games back.

The East, the West, and the wildcard race should create some great drama through the closing game.

In the NL, the races are not as close.

In the East, the Mets have an 8.5 game lead on the Nationals. I continue to be stunned that with all the talent on the Nationals, they are only 4 games over 500. Atlanta has been down right putrid over the last month and a half, and are now only 1 1/2 games ahead of the Phillies in the race for the worst record in MLB.

The Central has provided a good bit of drama over the course of the season. The Cardinals continue to show that they are one of the best-run programs in MLB. They've overcome injuries to maintain their lead in the Central pretty much the entire season. They are 3 games up on the Pirates. The Pirates were a little disappointing early on (causing my buddy fairgambit to jump off the bandwagon), but they've played excellent ball for several months. In addition, they're pretty hot of late, so overtaking the Cards is not out of the question. The Cubs have played really well (they would be tied for 1st in the West, and 1/2 game back in the East), but they are in 3rd place. I thought they had the talent to overtake the Pirates, but for a variety of reasons that hasn't happened. I expected Milwaukee to be bad, but the Reds have pretty much mailed it in since the trade deadline, and that's not something I would have predicted before the season started.

In the West, the Dodgers and the Giants have taken turns looking mediocre, but at this point the Dodgers have a 7 1/2 game lead.

If the season ended today, the Pirates and the Cubs would be in the wildcard. The Giants are 7 1/2 games back, and the Nationals are 9 games back. Before the season started, I thought the Nationals would win their division, and that the Giants would either win theirs or be in the wildcard. The Pirates, Cubs, and Giants have been pretty hot of late, so either the Pirates or the Cubs would have to go stone cold for the Giants to slip into the wildcard.

The race in the Central, and the race for the wildcard should provide the bulk of the drama in the NL (excluding the efforts of the Braves to wrest the #1 draft pick from the Phils in next year's draft).

Good luck to your favorite team in the closing weeks!

The Central has provided a good bit of drama over the course of the season. The Cardinals continue to show that they are one of the best-run programs in MLB. They've overcome injuries to maintain their lead in the Central pretty much the entire season. They are 3 games up on the Pirates. The Pirates were a little disappointing early on (causing my buddy fairgambit to jump off the bandwagon), but they've played excellent ball for several months. In addition, they're pretty hot of late, so overtaking the Cards is not out of the question. The Cubs have played really well (they would be tied for 1st in the West, and 1/2 game back in the East), but they are in 3rd place. I thought they had the talent to overtake the Pirates, but for a variety of reasons that hasn't happened. I expected Milwaukee to be bad, but the Reds have pretty much mailed it in since the trade deadline, and that's not something I would have predicted before the season started.

Good post Tom, except for the line in bold. I never jumped off the bandwagon.....well, not all the way off. As you can see from the photo below, despite turning to alcohol in those terrible days in April and early May, I never officially lost contact with the bandwagon.

495061704_9a3020a81a.jpg

Good post Tom, except for the line in bold. I never jumped off the bandwagon.....well, not all the way off. As you can see from the photo below, despite turning to alcohol in those terrible days in April and early May, I never officially lost contact with the bandwagon.

495061704_9a3020a81a.jpg
That's exactly how I had you pictured after taking drinking advice from GLOV.

Before the season started I told myself that the Nationals' fortunes would rise or sink with Harper's play. Never in a million years would I have foreseen them having the year they're having given the year Harper is having.

In the National League Harper is
  1. First in average, .338
  2. First in runs, 108 (10 ahead of the second place guy)
  3. Fifth in doubles, 34
  4. Tied for first in home runs, 39
  5. Sixth in RBIs, 90
  6. First in OBP, .467
  7. First in slugging, .667
  8. First in OPS, 1.134 (second is 1.008)
  9. First in Wins Above Replacement, 9.6, nearly 25% higher than the second best 7.7.
Of all the players with 30 or more home runs, the guy with the second best average is hitting .285, 53 points below Harper.

All this and the Nats are barely above .500. I never saw this coming. Oh well. Like I told Howie, my loss is his gain. At least I can watch the games and enjoy Harper's play, win or lose.

Reactions: fairgambit
At least I can watch the games and enjoy Harper's play, win or lose.
That is something I could always do with Clemente. No matter how well the Pirates played, he was worth the price of admission, or the time to watch the game on TV. It's just like back in days of Ralph Kiner, when few Pirate fans left the game early, regardless of the score, if there was any reasonable chance that Kiner would bat again.

Reactions: LionJim
LJ I was thinking about your thread regarding Mr. Golden Slippers last night as he went 3-for-3 with 2HR and a BB against the Phillies. I forget if he had 3 or 4 RBI, I believe 4. Two runs scored. Why anybody pitches to him is the mystery to me. He'd get 4 every time up if I was Mackanin. At least they were able to get Werth out last night from what I saw. Golden Slippers is unconscious.

Before the season started I told myself that the Nationals' fortunes would rise or sink with Harper's play. Never in a million years would I have foreseen them having the year they're having given the year Harper is having.

3. Fifth in doubles, 34
  5. Sixth in RBIs, 90
  6. First in OBP, .467
  9. First in Wins Above Replacement, 9.6, nearly 25% higher than the second best 7.7.
Of all the players with 30 or more home runs, the guy with the second best average is hitting .285, 53 points below Harper.

All this and the Nats are barely above .500. I never saw this coming. Oh well. Like I told Howie, my loss is his gain. At least I can watch the games and enjoy Harper's play, win or lose.

Cespedes has 35 home runs and is hitting .296 on the season but who is nitpicking. You are right though, amazing year Bryce has had. He is fun to watch and a total package. Harper is far and away the most valuable player in the NL.

Cespedes has 35 home runs and is hitting .296 on the season but who is nitpicking. You are right though, amazing year Bryce has had. He is fun to watch and a total package. Harper is far and away the most valuable player in the NL.
Oh, Cespedes played in the AL for part of the year, I get it. I was at first a little puzzled at your post before putting two and two together; I had been looking solely at NL stats. Yeah, Cespedes has had a great year. Either he or Harper will win MVP. I normally think that to win the MVP you got to play on the team that at least makes the playoffs.

3. Fifth in doubles, 34
  5. Sixth in RBIs, 90
  6. First in OBP, .467

Well, here is the problem. 39 home runs and only 90 RBI. Almost half his RBI are from himself. His teammates have let him down, dramatically. When Ryan Howard hit 58 home runs, he knocked in 150. This meant Rollins, Victorino and Utley were doing their job.

It really is a wasted season for a terrific young player.

Reactions: LionJim
so we're halfway thru September -- a date at which you can draw some reasonable conclusions about the MLB races.

In the AL, we have some excellent races.

In the East, Toronto's offensive juggernaut continues to keep them ahead of the Yankees. That race could go down to the last weekend. Baltimore has made some runs, but they are a disappointment to me, being 2 games under 500. The Red Sox's season has been a disaster from start to finish.

In the Central, KC seems to have pretty much locked up the division, though their poor play of late is something to watch. Kind of strange to see the White Sox and the Tigers at the bottom of the division, as I thought each had more talent than that.

In the West, Texas leads Houston by 1/2 game, and the Angels by 4. Houston seems to be fading at the wrong time, though it's too soon to count them out.

If the season ended today, the Yankees and Houston would be in the wildcard, with the Twins just 1.5 games back, the Angels 3.5 games back, and the Indians 5 games back.

The East, the West, and the wildcard race should create some great drama through the closing game.

In the NL, the races are not as close.

In the East, the Mets have an 8.5 game lead on the Nationals. I continue to be stunned that with all the talent on the Nationals, they are only 4 games over 500. Atlanta has been down right putrid over the last month and a half, and are now only 1 1/2 games ahead of the Phillies in the race for the worst record in MLB.

In the West, the Dodgers and the Giants have taken turns looking mediocre, but at this point the Dodgers have a 7 1/2 game lead.

If the season ended today, the Pirates and the Cubs would be in the wildcard. The Giants are 7 1/2 games back, and the Nationals are 9 games back. Before the season started, I thought the Nationals would win their division, and that the Giants would either win theirs or be in the wildcard. The Pirates, Cubs, and Giants have been pretty hot of late, so either the Pirates or the Cubs would have to go stone cold for the Giants to slip into the wildcard.

The race in the Central, and the race for the wildcard should provide the bulk of the drama in the NL (excluding the efforts of the Braves to wrest the #1 draft pick from the Phils in next year's draft).

Good luck to your favorite team in the closing weeks!
Very thorough and objective analysis. I used to be an avid baseball fan, but I've probably watched a total of 25 innings of MLB this season. I guess I'm part of their diminishing demographic.

3. Fifth in doubles, 34
  5. Sixth in RBIs, 90
  6. First in OBP, .467

Last winter I heard a crazy rumor from a guy who works for an MLB team. He told me Bryce Harper came tantalizingly close to being traded to the Yankees. Saw the same guy last week and he told me both teams regret not making the trade and it will happen this winter with NY sending Judge, Sanchez, Mateo, Pineda and Nova and a relief pitcher. He said Washington feels Harper will never be a team leader and they don't want to invest 200M in him, especially given his knee issues. Maybe something to keep an eye on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT