ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies 2024

Castellanos is certainly a concern, as well as a couple of bullpen guys (Soto and Dominguez). I hope Turner’s injury stint is less than 6 weeks because they will need his bat sooner than later. The Phils have benefited from a relatively weak schedule to date. I believe the Braves are the only opponent they’ve faced with a winning record, and their next 4 opponents also do not have a winning record. They need to keep beating these weaker teams because eventually their schedule will get more challenging.
This just in… The Phils are good. Again.

Braves fan here. Props to the Phillies as it looks like we're playing for second in the division. Maybe we can get you back in the playoffs to partially make up for the past two years but I'm not betting on it.

Reactions: jjw165
In a month or two they’ll be able to steal Chapman from the lowly Pirates.
How's this for a one inning performance by the Pirate bullpen (in a game vs Cubs that Pirates eventually won 10-9)

i
5thHoerner walked, Tauchman scored, Happ to second, Suzuki to third.26
i
5thBusch walked, Suzuki scored, Hoerner to second, Happ to third.36
i
5thMastrobuoni walked, Happ scored, Busch to second, Hoerner to third.46
i
5thGomes walked, Hoerner scored, Mastrobuoni to second, Busch to third.56
i
5thTauchman reached on infield single to shortstop, Busch scored, Gomes to second, Mastrobuoni to third.66
i
5thSuzuki walked, Mastrobuoni scored, Tauchman to second, Gomes to third.76
i
5thBellinger walked, Gomes scored, Suzuki to second, Tauchman to third.86

Braves fan here. Props to the Phillies as it looks like we're playing for second in the division. Maybe we can get you back in the playoffs to partially make up for the past two years but I'm not betting on it.
Braves fan too. Phillies are playing great and just might win the division. However, it’s a long season and they have played a very soft schedule so far. Time will tell.

Baseball -- you never know.

The Phillies with the best record in baseball jump out to an early 3-0 win against the last place Marlins. And Zack Wheeler, one of the best starters in the league is on the mound for the Phillies. Game essentially over?

No, Wheeler gives up 6 earned runs and the Marlins make the plays to take the game into extra innings and a 7-6 win.

In football or basketball, the team records and early start would have said mismatch. But in baseball the underdog wins some of these.

Reactions: jjw165 and EPC FAN
How's this for a one inning performance by the Pirate bullpen (in a game vs Cubs that Pirates eventually won 10-9)

i
5thHoerner walked, Tauchman scored, Happ to second, Suzuki to third.26
i
5thBusch walked, Suzuki scored, Hoerner to second, Happ to third.36
i
5thMastrobuoni walked, Happ scored, Busch to second, Hoerner to third.46
i
5thGomes walked, Hoerner scored, Mastrobuoni to second, Busch to third.56
i
5thTauchman reached on infield single to shortstop, Busch scored, Gomes to second, Mastrobuoni to third.66
i
5thSuzuki walked, Mastrobuoni scored, Tauchman to second, Gomes to third.76
i
5thBellinger walked, Gomes scored, Suzuki to second, Tauchman to third.86

Paul Skenes better hire an attorney because he’s going to end up having to sue the Pirates for lack of support.

Maybe I missed something but weren’t the Pirates up 6-1 when he left the game?
Not just run support. The Pirates can’t play defense or run the bases and their bullpen walked in 6 runs with the bases loaded. Let me repeat that. The Pirates bullpen actually walked in 6 runs with the bases loaded. That’s not even a civil case. That’s criminal.

Not just run support. The Pirates can’t play defense or run the bases and their bullpen walked in 6 runs with the bases loaded. Let me repeat that. The Pirates bullpen actually walked in 6 runs with the bases loaded. That’s not even a civil case. That’s criminal.
Well you’re right about that but ironically they still won the game.

Phillies finding ways to keep winning; a 9th inning comeback on Monday vs the Mets and a complete game 4-hit shutout gem by Nola on Tuesday for the 4-0 win.

Bryson Stott is the latest player to get hot and make some big contributions.

I still believe the 2011 group, collectively, are better than this year’s starting staff. Sanchez is still an unproven commodity and Turnbull has pitched over his head. It should be interesting what they do once T. Walker is eligible to come off the injured list. Ranger has pitched 25 straight scoreless innings and, to me, has surpassed Nola as the second best starter.
Ranger is 3-1 with a 1.62 ERA in the postseason. Unproven? I guess.

Phillies finding ways to keep winning; a 9th inning comeback on Monday vs the Mets and a complete game 4-hit shutout gem by Nola on Tuesday for the 4-0 win.

Bryson Stott is the latest player to get hot and make some big contributions.
A complete game thrown in the year 2024! We don’t see many of those anymore.

Phillies win another. 5-2 over the Rangers to go to 35 and 14.

The familiar Phillies formula -- a strong 7 inning start from Suarez, key hits by Harper, Bohm, and others, a shaky stretch by the bullpen, but a close out by Alvarado.

Phillies win another. 5-2 over the Rangers to go to 35 and 14.

The familiar Phillies formula -- a strong 7 inning start from Suarez, key hits by Harper, Bohm, and others, a shaky stretch by the bullpen, but a close out by Alvarado.
Heading to The Bank with my son on Thursday for the matinee. For the first time ever he bought the seats. Benefits of aging I guess.

Even my wife is following the Phils. Good group of guys on the team. Hard to believe that Trea is out and we haven't stumbled (yet). The baseball gods usually even things out down the line- but heckuva run for sure.

The Phils certainly have exceeded my expectations. That 1st series with the Braves and I was thinking, oh man, we are going to have to play catch up again. But they quickly erased that and have stayed hot. The starting pitching has been phenomenal. You have different hitters taking turns getting hot and even the bullpen is starting to look better. Fun year so far.

Reactions: royboy
If you listen to the national media they stink. Still can't beat a team with a winning record.
Yeah, they did play the Colorado Rockies and Miami Marlins, who had/have bad records, but the Phillies also played a number of decent opponents who came in around .500 but lost the series to the Phillies, sometimes got swept.

They're now playing the defending World Series Champs Texas Rangers, but not much talk about that.

Currently a 6-game lead vs the Braves; who expected that?

There's a wide range of teams in baseball this year. Several really bad team. Several really good teams. And then a ton floating right around .500. Seems like more mediocrity than most years, but honestly I have no idea if that's true or not.

Reactions: royboy
The fun continues. Phillies get 8 hits and are able to convert that to an 11-4 win over the error-prone Rangers.

The win marks the 15th straight series win for the Phillies. Wow.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. Team hired Girardi for his brand and got Topper as part of the deal.

If he weren't successful during his Interim phase it is safe to say he'd probably be retired. Instead look at him....Classic Philly underdog story.

He is perfect for this city and this team.
Reminds me of Walter Matthau's Buttermaker in the BNB. Even kinda looks like him.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT