ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies 2024

How fun would a Yankees vs Phillies World Series be! It’s obviously too early to make such a prediction but one can dream.
My maternal grandparents lived on Staten Island and my Grammy was a huge baseball fan. Their oasis was a screened in carport with lounge chairs, a box fan and a card table. They "chilled" there most hot days as they only had a/c in the bedroom.

There were only 4 stations that would be on the old fashioned radio: 1010 WINS, the Sunday Polish music station and either the Mets or Yankees games. If the wind was right the planes landing at Newark would belch their noise every 2 and a half minutes drowning out the games.

Living in the Philly burbs I was hardcore Phils- but the Yankees became my American League team. Eventually I moved to NYC and went to many games: maybe 10 season openers, 4 World Series clinchers, I was there when Jeffrey Maier reached out and stole an out turned HR from the O's in the playoffs. At least 2 birthdays were celebrated in old Yankee Stadium with massive groups starting at Stan's Bar- still one of my favorite spots on earth. I was there from 1988 when they stunk through 2002 when they were dominant.

My dream my whole life was a Phils vs Yanks Series. I finally got it- couldn't "lose" right? What I learned was that you can't serve 2 masters. Philly fans have a well deserved reputation. Yankees fans view themselves as supporters of the historic best team and "classier" than others. It surprised me when I caught so much shit from my Yankees friends and even folks I don't know.

Something changed in that Series- and I no longer root for the Yankees at all. I don't quite root against them- but have picked up Baltimore due to proximity and the Royals as they were the former parent of the Wilmington Blue Rocks where I worked the scoreboard as a side hustle to get paid and fed to watch baseball.

FWIW my kids' first jobs were at the ballpark. My son was a bat boy for 3 years and my daughter ran the bouncy house for a season. Many of the KC Series winners, and Whit Merrifield were on the team during my son's tenure- so things have sorta come full circle.

I'd welcome a Phillies vs Yankees World Series again, but this time I'm only rooting for one side. Go Phils!

Last edited:
My maternal grandparents lived on Staten Island and my Grammy was a huge baseball fan. Their oasis was a screened in carport with lounge chairs, a box fan and a card table. They "chilled" there most hot days as they only had a/c in the bedroom.

There were only 4 stations that would be on the old fashioned radio: 1010 WINS, the Sunday Polish music station and either the Mets or Yankees games. If the wind was right the planes landing at Newark would belch their noise every 2 and a half minutes drowning out the games.

Living in the Philly burbs I was hardcore Phils- but the Yankees became my American League team. Eventually I moved to NYC and went to many games: maybe 10 season openers, 4 World Series clinchers, I was there when Jeffrey Maier reached out and stole an out turned HR from the O's in the playoffs. At least 2 birthdays were celebrated in old Yankee Stadium with massive groups starting at Stan's Bar- still one of my favorite spots on earth. I was there from 1988 when they stunk through 2002 when they were dominant.

My dream my whole life was a Phils vs Yanks Series. I finally got it- couldn't "lose" right? What I learned was that you can't serve 2 masters. Philly fans have a well deserved reputation. Yankees fans view themselves as supporters of the historic best team and "classier" than others. It surprised me when I caught so much shit from my Yankees friends and even folks I don't know.

Something changed in that Series- and I no longer root for the Yankees at all. I don't quite root against them- but have picked up Baltimore due to proximity and the Royals as they were the former parent of the Wilmington Blue Rocks where I worked the scoreboard as a side hustle to get paid and fed to watch baseball.

FWIW my kids' first jobs were at the ballpark. My son was a bat boy for 3 years and my daughter ran the bouncy house for a season. Many of the KC Series winners, and Whit Merrifield were on the team during my son's tenure- so things have sorta come full circle.

I'd welcome a Phillies vs Yankees World Series again, but this time I'm only rooting for one side. Go Phils!
You are obviously a baseball fan and your story is really neat. I am as well, and my love of baseball has been strengthened recently by my 10 year old son becoming a baseball fan over the last 12 months to the point he watches it on tv a couple times per week. I am a Yankees fan, but I cannot help but respect the Phillies this year. They have a series together in July, and I think a seven game WS between the two would be fascinating and just electric. The northeastern United States still loves baseball.

I hate the Yankees. And yes, "hate" is a strong word. To me, if you had an encyclopedia with a notation about sports being ruined, a photo of the Yankees would have to be the start of the entry. Not only do they NOT win the WS every year with their inflated payroll, but they ruin the game for dozens of small market teams that simply can't compete. That has metastasized in me to include LA, SFO, and Chicago. I never, ever, root for those cities' teams. The best managed teams in baseball have been the Rays, Indians Guardians, KC and As over the last two years. Teams doing well ten years ago were the As (now dropping and moving), and KC (now playing well again). Teams at the top have been the Rays, Oriels (after many decades of being crap) and the Guardians.

I get as much enjoyment watching the Guardians win with their payroll as I do watching the Mets tank. Francisco Lindor, how are you enjoying life?

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I hate the Yankees. And yes, "hate" is a strong word. To me, if you had an encyclopedia with a notation about sports being ruined, a photo of the Yankees would have to be the start of the entry. Not only do they NOT win the WS every year with their inflated payroll, but they ruin the game for dozens of small market teams that simply can't compete. That has metastasized in me to include LA, SFO, and Chicago. I never, ever, root for those cities' teams. The best managed teams in baseball have been the Rays, Indians Guardians, KC and As over the last two years. Teams doing well ten years ago were the As (now dropping and moving), and KC (now playing well again). Teams at the top have been the Rays, Oriels (after many decades of being crap) and the Guardians.

I get as much enjoyment watching the Guardians win with their payroll as I do watching the Mets tank. Francisco Lindor, how are you enjoying life?
The Catfish Hunter deal changed ALL pro sports...and now college too

Reactions: Obliviax
The Catfish Hunter deal changed ALL pro sports...and now college too
Agreed. It really started with Curt Flood but he never enjoyed the fruits. I recall SI having a picture of Flood with the headline "Not Just a Flood, but a Deluge". I also recall hearing an interview with Catfish's agent. He said that he and Catfish were in a room and meeting with various teams back to back. The Yankees walk in and make an offer of several millions of dollars. They speak of this briefly then thank the Yankees as they walk out of the room. When the door closes, the agent and Catfish fall on the floor laughing. They can't believe they are going to make millions playing baseball.

On the other hand, I recall one free agent who got an offer of $17m from the Yankees. he was asked by a reporter the next year "do you feel bad making $17m for playing baseball?" His response was "I used to. Then I realized that there was somebody with enough money to pay it." So I don't begrudge the players. Somebody has the money.

I am sure that there are studies and analytics. The player's unions and team owners pour over how the theory of elasticity applies to suck as much money as they an out of fans. Then I am amused when franchises talk about "real fans" and "dedication." Drives me nuts when, say, a team like the Guardians honors Jim Thome who left the franchise for an arch-enemy (white sox) for more money. Why honor him? Screw him. And now, they bankrupt stupid fans with gambling. Yeah, they really care about their fans (sarcasm).

In the end, the stupid ones are the ones paying the money. I go about once a year to CLE and/or PITT to take in the atmosphere and reminisce what it was like as a kid to sit in the outfield and yell Aribba! to Clemente or "chicken on the hill with Will" to Stargel and just wave my green weenie.

Getting ready to watch the Phillies and Mets but pregame with Michael Barkan is brutal. He's awful and it's bad enough he does the Phillies but he does the Eagles as well. Also, a Syracuse graduate who ripped Penn State back in 2011. Just venting, but he's terrible.

Getting ready to watch the Phillies and Mets but pregame with Michael Barkan is brutal. He's awful and it's bad enough he does the Phillies but he does the Eagles as well. Also, a Syracuse graduate who ripped Penn State back in 2011. Just venting, but he's terrible.
Tough day today for the Phils but consider these things-

1) Walker pitched good enough to win
2) team left a ton of runners on
3) situational hitting- like Bohm's double play in 1st was below average
4) Soto was brutal. Why did they not go with Strahm 1st (as has been the norm?) If the answer was to give 30 a shot- cheers to skipper- but we got the answer- again
5) Alvarado was brutal too. He blew a save @ Colorado w 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th HR. Blew it badly today too. He is no Mariano Riviera- but hopefully will be good enough
6) Dahl with big hit- celebration was short-lived but still clutch
7) Tough way to end the game- especially for Castellanos- BUT- the fact that they were in a position to tie or win in the bottom of the 9th says a lot about the Phils (and the Mets)

In a weird way I sort of feel good for the Mets fans who laid out the cash to be there.

Reactions: WaylonJ and royboy

1) Walker pitched good enough to win
2) team left a ton of runners on
3) situational hitting- like Bohm's double play in 1st was below average
4) Soto was brutal. Why did they not go with Strahm 1st (as has been the norm?) If the answer was to give 30 a shot- cheers to skipper- but we got the answer- again
5) Alvarado was brutal too. He blew a save @ Colorado w 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th HR. Blew it badly today too. He is no Mariano Riviera- but hopefully will be good enough
6) Dahl with big hit- celebration was short-lived but still clutch
7) Tough way to end the game- especially for Castellanos- BUT- the fact that they were in a position to tie or win in the bottom of the 9th says a lot about the Phils (and the Mets)

In a weird way I sort of feel good for the Mets fans who laid out the cash to be there.
I agree with all your points. Two tough series coming up on the road (Boston and Baltimore)

Yeah, good points and the weirdness did seem to go in the Mets favor. How often do you see Bohm totally whiff on a foul pop-up or the game-ending double play initiated by the Mets catcher? By the way, does Castellanos lead the league in ground-ball double plays?

And just my .02 -- the Phillies pitchers were not getting any breaks on balls/strike calls. Alvorado had 4 or 5 pitches that caught the strike zone on TV but were ruled balls.

In a weird way I sort of feel good for the Mets fans who laid out the cash to be there
I kinda felt the same way yesterday, especially after Atlanta lost. Both traveling parties got to see their team win. Oddly, of all the division foes I don't hate the Mets as much as I probably should. They've suffered as much as we have in my lifetime. I grew up around some Mets fans. My area used to get channel 9 that carried the Mets back in the day, so we had 9 and 11 out of NY who carried the Mets and Yankees and then 17 out of Philly so you had a lot of baseball available on TV. The Mets seemed to play a lot of day games at Shea and I recall coming home from school many days to find the Mets on TV so I had Lindsey Nelson and Ralph Kiner babysitting me after school a lot of days.

It was the Hernandez years when I really started disliking the Mets. There were plenty of guys to dislike on those Mets teams, and they won a lot. But the Phillies are loaded this year and the Mets are underperforming so it's hard for me to go crazy about a loss when they're going to finish 25 out. It's so hard to win it all and so many levels of playoffs to navigate anymore. Every game counts but it's still June and everybody who went dropped a lot of cash to be there so let them have that game. Let's rest up and get back to work tomorrow. I'm getting too nice in my old age.

I kinda felt the same way yesterday, especially after Atlanta lost. Both traveling parties got to see their team win. Oddly, of all the division foes I don't hate the Mets as much as I probably should. They've suffered as much as we have in my lifetime. I grew up around some Mets fans. My area used to get channel 9 that carried the Mets back in the day, so we had 9 and 11 out of NY who carried the Mets and Yankees and then 17 out of Philly so you had a lot of baseball available on TV. The Mets seemed to play a lot of day games at Shea and I recall coming home from school many days to find the Mets on TV so I had Lindsey Nelson and Ralph Kiner babysitting me after school a lot of days.

It was the Hernandez years when I really started disliking the Mets. There were plenty of guys to dislike on those Mets teams, and they won a lot. But the Phillies are loaded this year and the Mets are underperforming so it's hard for me to go crazy about a loss when they're going to finish 25 out. It's so hard to win it all and so many levels of playoffs to navigate anymore. Every game counts but it's still June and everybody who went dropped a lot of cash to be there so let them have that game. Let's rest up and get back to work tomorrow. I'm getting too nice in my old age.
Plus Topper played just about the whole roster in 2 games....getting pretty much everyone except pitchers an experience of playing on the "Pitch."

Still....all Nick had to do was hit a fly ball. When he got to 2 strikes even my wife chirped up "he is the worst 2 strike batter in baseball!"

Just one game- I'm sure the pubs were hopping last night! On to the next...

Reactions: WaylonJ
JT Realmuto went under he knife today for knee surgery. Sounds like he will be out for awhile. This puts even more pressure on the Phillies to pick up a strong hitting outfielder. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...nee-surgery-return-timeline-likely-6-8-weeks/
Yeah, not good news. Here is a link from phillies mlb website with some additional info

The extent of the injury was not immediately clear, though it’s worth noting the team labeled Realmuto's injury as "right knee pain" as opposed to calling it something more severe such as a tear. Phillies president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski is expected to address the media regarding Realmuto prior to Tuesday night's series opener against the Red Sox at Fenway Park.

Realmuto was placed on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to Monday, and fellow catcher Rafael Marchán was recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take his place on the active roster.

Without Realmuto, the Phillies’ catching depth will certainly be tested in the coming weeks. For now, they will turn to backup catcher Garrett Stubbs and Marchán to fill the void.

Stubbs entered Tuesday slashing .173/.271/.192 in 59 plate appearances this season, though the Phillies are 10-4 in his 14 starts this season. He's a career .213 hitter with a .605 OPS.
As for Marchán, the 25-year-old is slashing .233/.382/.395 in 13 games between Lehigh Valley and Single-A Clearwater this season. He made his season debut on May 14 after missing the start of the season due to lower back pain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT