ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies 2024

162 games. They don't get low and they don't get too high. They just have fun. Good ballclub.

Just like fans shouldn't overreact to losing 2/3 to the Bravos in ATL, they shouldn't overreact to sweeping the depleted Dodgers at home.

Long way to go. They look very good so far. Finish goal one: win the East. Then goal two: top two seed for bye. Goal three: Home field. And let's not forget that while the Phils had to go through the top seed the last two postseasons (ATL), they've also faced the fifth seed (SD) and the sixth seed in the LCS.

Finally, let's put to bed the "weak schedule" narrative. They are 10 games over .500 vs. winning teams. That also is MLB best.

And they have three vs Oakland this weekend. A sweep into the ASB would be nice. That said, the weather looks atrocious the next two nights. I'd be shocked if they played Friday night. Sunday DH possible, which would heavily tax the pitching staff since Wheeler is out.
This series could be a preview of the NLCS. Don't count on the Dodgers playing this way though in that series if it materializes.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
This series could be a preview of the NLCS. Don't count on the Dodgers playing this way though in that series if it materializes.
I was there on Tuesday night. Real feel of 103 and sold out. The weather was brutal- but you'd hardly know it- place was jumpin'.

Over the series both teams made great plays ( Rojas and Taylor last night) and both made egregious errors (Harper last night and Dodger CF in game 2).

Those are unlikely to repeat themselves. In the postseason pitching is key. The Dodgers will add back gamechangers moreso than us.

Just enjoying the ride- but as earlier poster said- don't get to high or low. The Playoffs take on a life of their own. We have been spoilers- and been spoiled (last year NLCS still hurts).

Go Phils!

Reactions: jjw165 and royboy
I was there on Tuesday night. Real feel of 103 and sold out. The weather was brutal- but you'd hardly know it- place was jumpin'.

Over the series both teams made great plays ( Rojas and Taylor last night) and both made egregious errors (Harper last night and Dodger CF in game 2).

Those are unlikely to repeat themselves. In the postseason pitching is key. The Dodgers will add back gamechangers moreso than us.

Just enjoying the ride- but as earlier poster said- don't get to high or low. The Playoffs take on a life of their own. We have been spoilers- and been spoiled (last year NLCS still hurts).

Go Phils!
Bottom of the eighth bases loaded 4-1 Phils. Ball hit in the exact worst spot for an easy double play. Those breaks will disappear. Phil's pitcher somehow I think getting Shohei, Will Smith and Freddy to strike out after Lux homer. Pages just loses a sure out which was the difference in the game. I think Rojas just overuns the base. And this off the top of my head. I'd say the Dodgers kind of blew the last couple of games of the series. Not saying they were going win both on Wednesday and Thursday but they did everything they could to lose both.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Bottom of the eighth bases loaded 4-1 Phils. Ball hit in the exact worst spot for an easy double play. Those breaks will disappear. Phil's pitcher somehow I think getting Shohei, Will Smith and Freddy to strike out after Lux homer. Pages just loses a sure out which was the difference in the game. I think Rojas just overuns the base. And this off the top of my head. I'd say the Dodgers kind of blew the last couple of games of the series. Not saying they were going win both on Wednesday and Thursday but they did everything they could to lose both.
The Phillies sweep the Dodgers for the first time in a long time and you can't even enjoy it?

Sad.

Yeah, good points and the weirdness did seem to go in the Mets favor. How often do you see Bohm totally whiff on a foul pop-up or the game-ending double play initiated by the Mets catcher? By the way, does Castellanos lead the league in ground-ball double plays?

And just my .02 -- the Phillies pitchers were not getting any breaks on balls/strike calls. Alvorado had 4 or 5 pitches that caught the strike zone on TV but were ruled balls.
Yeah that must be it. Have XM radio and listen to broadcasters for all teams. No broadcasting team whines more about balls and strikes than the Phils’ radio team except for when there are questionable calls for the other teams.

Major League Baseball could test robot umpires as part of a challenge system in spring training next year, which could lead to regular-season use in 2026.

"I said at the owners meeting it is not likely that we would bring ABS to the big leagues without a spring training test. OK, so if it's '24 that leaves me '25 as the year to do your spring training test if we can get these issues resolved, which would make '26 a viable possibility," baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said Tuesday during a meeting with the Baseball Writers' Association of America. "But is that going to be the year? I'm not going to be flat-footed on that issue.

MLB has been experimenting with the automated ball-strike system in the minor leagues since 2019 but is still working on the shape of the strike zone.”

Reactions: royboy
Just when it appeared that the Phillies offense would be in a deep freeze for almost an entire second game vs the Twins and thereby waste a great start by Wheeler, a key double by Harper, a sac fly by Marsh, and a 2-run double by Castellanos in the 9th inning provided a 3-0 win. Whew.

'It has felt different': Phillies' rut continues with lopsided loss​

But then, the Phillies lost to the lowly A’s on July 12. Something changed. They have lost nine of 13 games since that Dodgers series, including Monday night’s 14-4 loss to the Yankees at Citizens Bank Park. It got so bad that Yankees fans took over the ballpark, filling the Bank with “M-V-P!” chants for Aaron Judge in the eighth inning.

'It has felt different': Phillies' rut continues with lopsided loss​

But then, the Phillies lost to the lowly A’s on July 12. Something changed. They have lost nine of 13 games since that Dodgers series, including Monday night’s 14-4 loss to the Yankees at Citizens Bank Park. It got so bad that Yankees fans took over the ballpark, filling the Bank with “M-V-P!” chants for Aaron Judge in the eighth inning.
I loved it. Judge MVP!

what are Phillies fans thoughts on them trading Lane Thomas? Kid has a really good stat line and is third in the league in steals. Guardos gave up some good prospects but would probably have lost some of them due to rule 5 and limited roster protections. Guardos are stacked in the minor leagues and had the overall #1 pick this year.

what are Phillies fans thoughts on them trading Lane Thomas? Kid has a really good stat line and is third in the league in steals. Guardos gave up some good prospects but would probably have lost some of them due to rule 5 and limited roster protections. Guardos are stacked in the minor leagues and had the overall #1 pick this year.

Have watched a number of Washington National games (part of my cable sports package) and been impressed with him. He has a mixture of power and speed and is an excellent defensive outfielder. Hits left-handers, which is something the Guardians wanted.

Guardians gave up prospects so we won't know for a while who got the best of things, but makes sense for the Guardians making a run in 2024.

Reactions: Obliviax
Phillies at Dodgers next week. Will be a good series. Dodgers want a little payback from sweep in Philly but are so shorthanded who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT