ADVERTISEMENT

Most underrated member of Penn State's class of 2017!

BWI PHIL GROSZ

May 29, 2001
I believe that K. J. Hamler is without question the most underrated member of Penn State's class of 2017.

Hamler comes from the same high school as former Penn State record setting WR Allen Robinson St. Mary's High School in Orchard Lake, Mich. He had a tremendous junior season at St. Mary's before deciding to transfer from to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. He totaled 31 catches for 623 yards [20.1 YPC] with six TD receptions, plus he averaged more than 22 yards per punt return. Many ranked Hamler as the top slot-WR and top punt returner in the Midwest section of the country going into the 2016 high school football season before he decided to transfer to IMG Academy. He was a first team all-state selection in Michigan his sophomore year at St. Mary's.

Before he suffered his ACL injury last August during a preseason game at IMG Academy what made Hamler such an explosive receiver besides his sub 4.5 40-yard speed was his talent for running precise pass routes and his ability to accelerate out of his cuts.

Hamler was superb at a Penn State camp he attended before his junior year in high school impressing both James Franklin and Penn State WR coach Josh Gattis. "K.J. came to camp and ran really fast," Franklin said. "And as fast as he runs this way, he can stick his foot in the ground and go in a lot of different directions."

Coach Gattis followed up with these comments after watching Hamler perform at the Penn State camp before his junior year in high school. "When you watched him [play], you didn't think about his size because he was great at everything. He has ball skills, he has great feet, superb hands, great initial quickness and he is a pure receiver. He can run many routes and actually played outside and inside in his high school offense, but the first thing you notice about him is how fast he is. He plays that fast. He is a guy who is going to be bring an element to our offense that is unique in his speed."

It is my firm belief that if Hamler did not suffer his ACL injury last August at IMG Academy, Hamler would be considered along with Lamont Wade as one of the top two members of Penn State's class of 2017. He would be Penn State's No.1 punt returner for the upcoming 2017 season and be in the mix for serious playing time at the slot-WR position this fall.

The good news is that Hamler is having a reported superb preseason practice session and there are reports coming out of preseason practice that Hamler's rehab is way ahead of schedule and that he has participated some in preseason practice without a brace on his knee.

Personally, I'm hearing that one of Penn State's toughest decisions at the end of preseason practice will be deciding whether to redshirt or play Hamler this fall. In the end I believe Hamler will end up being redshirted, but come 2018 and beyond I believe Hamler at Penn State has the same kind of potential at the slot-WR position Bobby Engram possessed when he arrived at Penn State's campus back in 1991 from Camden, S.C.

The only difference between Hamler and Engram being Hamler's sub 4.5 40-yard speed. No question in my mind that Hamler is the most underrated member of Penn State's class of 2017. I can't wait to see him perform at Penn State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News