ADVERTISEMENT

My 1972 Olympic Adventure

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
Since the opening ceremonies will start tomorrow, I thought I would share with everyone my story from the 1972 games when they were in Munich, Germany. I suspect even our Iowa friends will appreciate reading this narrative since it involves one of their favorites from the past. I've mentioned in several posts that I was actually there, so here is the whole story.

===========================================================================================
Way back when the summer Olympic games were held in Munich Germany, my friend Chris Black and I were doing the backpacking around Europe thing that has always been popular with US college age students. Some of you older guys might remember Chris – he was one of the top ranked guys at 126 in 1972 and was named OW at the EIWA championships when Penn State was still competing in the tournament.

It was in the middle of the afternoon and we were sitting in the popular Hofbrauhaus drinking beer and eating some German dark bread. I mentioned that the gold medal rounds for the freestyle wrestling were that evening and we would be remiss if we didn’t make some kind of effort to see them. Of course, that meant sneaking into the event since we didn’t have any tickets. I figured that if we got caught, all the security guys would do is walk us out again. This was a few days before the infamous terrorist incident. Unfortunately, we had no way of knowing what was being planned for later.

We used the Munich street car system to get to the Olympic park and after a little looking around, figured out where the wrestling event was being held. It was a big complex surrounded by a chain link fence. There were several buildings in the complex, and we weren’t sure which was the right one. We started out by going around to a dark area on the side of the complex and climbed over the fence in a spot where no security was present. At the time, I gave no serious thought to what we were doing other than basically having fun and adventure. It wasn’t until 33 years later when the film Munich was released that I realized the implications of our actions. In the opening scene of the movie, the terrorists are shown climbing over a chain link fence just like we had done. Although we had no bad intentions, we had correctly assessed the total lack of security and entered a restricted area without any incident with the local guards.

It took us a while to figure out which building was holding the wrestling, and we headed towards the rear of the building. We noticed there was an open door on the rear wall where two security guys were sitting. We walked towards the door to check it out and a few seconds later a guy stepped out wearing a USA warmup. We immediately recognized that it was Dan Gable, so we walked over to the door to talk to him. Considering that he had about 45 minutes until he was going against the Russian for the gold medal, he was fairly relaxed. He recognized my friend Chris, and told us he was pretty far ahead according to the black mark scoring system that was in place at the time. Then he said he had to get back inside to get ready so we wished him good luck. Right after he went back into the building we just walked in behind him and the guards didn’t even notice us! So there we were – we had just managed to sneak into the gold medal round for the freestyle wrestling events for that evening!

We found some empty seats in the stands and sat down to watch the upcoming matches. Needless to say, the wrestling that night was top quality. Of course our biggest interest was watching Dan Gable and Wayne Wells who were both wrestling that night. They both won, and their matches are available to watch on YouTube. Gable pretty much dominated the Russian but Wells had a good competitor from West Germany. There was a lot of scoring in their match and Wells finally ended up winning.

On top of that, we watched Ivan Yarygin and Alexander Medved from the Soviet Union win gold for their country the same night. Yarygin pinned his way through the entire Olympic tournament which was pretty amazing. Medved’s match was the last one of the night where he wrestled a guy from Bulgaria and won pretty convincingly. After winning the gold medal, Medved proceeded to take off his shoes and leave them in the center of the mat indicating it was his last competition. I wish there had been some way to grab one of his shoes. That would have been an awesome souvenir.

After the gold medal matches were finished, everyone came down to the gym floor and mingled around. We saw Gable sitting on top of a railing so we went over and offered our congratulations. A little bit later, I saw Medved standing by himself against the back wall of the gym just taking it all in I walked over and shook his hand and also said congratulations. That was a really cool memory for me considering that about 20 years ago, he was voted the outstanding freestyle wrestler of the 20th century.

After that, we left and went to another Munich beer hall to celebrate our good fortune. Unfortunately, we did not have a camera, so we had no record of what we did that evening, but we both knew it had happened and didn’t care if our friends back home didn’t believe us. After seeing how easy it was to get into the events, we decided to hang around in Munich and see what other sports we could catch. The terrorist attack against the Israeli athletes was a few days later, and that put a quick end to our plans.

As I mentioned earlier, I never gave much thought to the political implications of what we did that night until the movie Munich came out in 2005. We were just a couple of young guys having fun bending the rules a little bit and getting away with it. But when I watched the movie Munich, it hit me right in the first few minutes that we had figured out that the security at the games was totally inadequate so that a couple of young guys like us could walk through it with impunity. Of course the consequences were disastrous, and I really wish there was a way those events could have been avoided.

So that’s the story of my Olympic adventure. It’s definitely one of my coolest memories ever.

Since the opening ceremonies will start tomorrow, I thought I would share with everyone my story from the 1972 games when they were in Munich, Germany. I suspect even our Iowa friends will appreciate reading this narrative since it involves one of their favorites from the past. I've mentioned in several posts that I was actually there, so here is the whole story.

===========================================================================================
Way back when the summer Olympic games were held in Munich Germany, my friend Chris Black and I were doing the backpacking around Europe thing that has always been popular with US college age students. Some of you older guys might remember Chris – he was one of the top ranked guys at 126 in 1972 and was named OW at the EIWA championships when Penn State was still competing in the tournament.

It was in the middle of the afternoon and we were sitting in the popular Hofbrauhaus drinking beer and eating some German dark bread. I mentioned that the gold medal rounds for the freestyle wrestling were that evening and we would be remiss if we didn’t make some kind of effort to see them. Of course, that meant sneaking into the event since we didn’t have any tickets. I figured that if we got caught, all the security guys would do is walk us out again. This was a few days before the infamous terrorist incident. Unfortunately, we had no way of knowing what was being planned for later.

We used the Munich street car system to get to the Olympic park and after a little looking around, figured out where the wrestling event was being held. It was a big complex surrounded by a chain link fence. There were several buildings in the complex, and we weren’t sure which was the right one. We started out by going around to a dark area on the side of the complex and climbed over the fence in a spot where no security was present. At the time, I gave no serious thought to what we were doing other than basically having fun and adventure. It wasn’t until 33 years later when the film Munich was released that I realized the implications of our actions. In the opening scene of the movie, the terrorists are shown climbing over a chain link fence just like we had done. Although we had no bad intentions, we had correctly assessed the total lack of security and entered a restricted area without any incident with the local guards.

It took us a while to figure out which building was holding the wrestling, and we headed towards the rear of the building. We noticed there was an open door on the rear wall where two security guys were sitting. We walked towards the door to check it out and a few seconds later a guy stepped out wearing a USA warmup. We immediately recognized that it was Dan Gable, so we walked over to the door to talk to him. Considering that he had about 45 minutes until he was going against the Russian for the gold medal, he was fairly relaxed. He recognized my friend Chris, and told us he was pretty far ahead according to the black mark scoring system that was in place at the time. Then he said he had to get back inside to get ready so we wished him good luck. Right after he went back into the building we just walked in behind him and the guards didn’t even notice us! So there we were – we had just managed to sneak into the gold medal round for the freestyle wrestling events for that evening!

We found some empty seats in the stands and sat down to watch the upcoming matches. Needless to say, the wrestling that night was top quality. Of course our biggest interest was watching Dan Gable and Wayne Wells who were both wrestling that night. They both won, and their matches are available to watch on YouTube. Gable pretty much dominated the Russian but Wells had a good competitor from West Germany. There was a lot of scoring in their match and Wells finally ended up winning.

On top of that, we watched Ivan Yarygin and Alexander Medved from the Soviet Union win gold for their country the same night. Yarygin pinned his way through the entire Olympic tournament which was pretty amazing. Medved’s match was the last one of the night where he wrestled a guy from Bulgaria and won pretty convincingly. After winning the gold medal, Medved proceeded to take off his shoes and leave them in the center of the mat indicating it was his last competition. I wish there had been some way to grab one of his shoes. That would have been an awesome souvenir.

After the gold medal matches were finished, everyone came down to the gym floor and mingled around. We saw Gable sitting on top of a railing so we went over and offered our congratulations. A little bit later, I saw Medved standing by himself against the back wall of the gym just taking it all in I walked over and shook his hand and also said congratulations. That was a really cool memory for me considering that about 20 years ago, he was voted the outstanding freestyle wrestler of the 20th century.

After that, we left and went to another Munich beer hall to celebrate our good fortune. Unfortunately, we did not have a camera, so we had no record of what we did that evening, but we both knew it had happened and didn’t care if our friends back home didn’t believe us. After seeing how easy it was to get into the events, we decided to hang around in Munich and see what other sports we could catch. The terrorist attack against the Israeli athletes was a few days later, and that put a quick end to our plans.

As I mentioned earlier, I never gave much thought to the political implications of what we did that night until the movie Munich came out in 2005. We were just a couple of young guys having fun bending the rules a little bit and getting away with it. But when I watched the movie Munich, it hit me right in the first few minutes that we had figured out that the security at the games was totally inadequate so that a couple of young guys like us could walk through it with impunity. Of course the consequences were disastrous, and I really wish there was a way those events could have been avoided.

So that’s the story of my Olympic adventure. It’s definitely one of my coolest memories ever.
Great story. Were you near or in time proximity to the whole Israel thing that went on that year?

NO POLITICS PLEASE

Great story. Were you near or in time proximity to the whole Israel thing that went on that year?

NO POLITICS PLEASE
Not at Munich. After the wrestling was finished, we left for a few days with the intention of coming back to watch the other sports. We had Eurail passes that were available for students where we had unlimited use of all European trains for a one time fee of around $200. I don’t know if that deal is still available but it was well worth it. When we read about the Israeli athletes (wrestlers!) being taken hostage, we scrapped any further plans about sneaking into other events.

However, I did see some other serious stuff that was directly connected to the events in Munich. I decided that I didn’t want to come back to the US right away so I spent more time wandering around in Europe. I eventually made my way to Israel via Italy and Greece. I spent the entire winter and part of my spring living on a kibbutz and helping to work the agricultural crops they were growing. (The first line from The Who’s Baba O’Riley always came to mind. “Out here in the fields, I work for my meals.”)

While I was there, I personally witnessed some serious action break out between the IDF and El Fatah and the Syrian army. You don’t know the meaning of LOUD until you’ve had a jet fighter fly about 100 feet above you on full afterburner. Fortunately, I came back to the US before the Yom Kippur War started in 1973. That was a very serious conflict.

PS - I did spend Christmas Eve in Bethlehem that winter, and Christmas Day in Jerusalem!

Last edited:
Chris Black has to be the best wrestler in F&M history. Living not far from F&M at the time and given the limited information of the time, we thought that he had won the NCAA title and we amazed. We didn't realize he won the college division.

Chris Black has to be the best wrestler in F&M history. Living not far from F&M at the time and given the limited information of the time, we thought that he had won the NCAA title and we amazed. We didn't realize he won the college division.
He was one of my closest friends for a very long time. We grew up together in the same neighborhood which, incidentally, is the same neighborhood that Ed Ruth came from.

Unfortunately, Chris left us in 2014 after dealing with melanoma for about 3 years. His older brother still lives in the same neighborhood and I keep in pretty close contact with him.

Not at Munich. After the wrestling was finished, we left for a few days with the intention of coming back to watch the other sports. We had Eurail passes that were available for students where we had unlimited use of all European trains for a one time fee of around $200. I don’t know if that deal is still available but it was well worth it. When we read about the Israeli athletes (wrestlers!) being taken hostage, we scrapped any further plans about sneaking into other events.

However, I did see some other serious stuff that was directly connected to the events in Munich. I decided that I didn’t want to come back to the US right away so I spent more time wandering around in Europe. I eventually made my way to Israel via Italy and Greece. I spent the entire winter and part of my spring living on a kibbutz and helping to work the agricultural crops they were growing. (The first line from The Who’s Baba O’Riley always came to mind. “Out here in the fields, I work for my meals.”)

While I was there, I personally witnessed some serious action break out between the IDF and El Fatah and the Syrian army. You don’t know the meaning of LOUD until you’ve had a jet fighter fly about 100 feet above you on full afterburner. Fortunately, I came back to the US before the Yom Kippur War started in 1973. That was a very serious conflict.

PS - I did spend Christmas Eve in Bethlehem that winter, and Christmas Day in Jerusalem!
Thank you!

Living internationally is amazing, isn't it? It really broadens your understanding of other cultures that you can't get in a book or online. They still have Eurail passes that allows travel on all forms of ground transportation for one price.

Amazing story. The great documentary about those Olympics (not sure if it was an ESPN 30 for 30) goes into those security failings at length. The terrorists just hopped a fence at night and immediately just melted into the festive crowd of athletes if I remember correctly. Totally naive organization and society at the time.

We were living in Poland at the time. When kids would taunt my older brothers at high school, my oldest brother had the ultimate trump card. He’d name check Mark Spitz who won more gold medals than the whole Polish team

Reactions: creamery freak
Amazing story. The great documentary about those Olympics (not sure if it was an ESPN 30 for 30) goes into those security failings at length. The terrorists just hopped a fence at night and immediately just melted into the festive crowd of athletes if I remember correctly. Totally naive organization and society at the time.

We were living in Poland at the time. When kids would taunt my older brothers at high school, my oldest brother had the ultimate trump card. He’d name check Mark Spitz who won more gold medals than the whole Polish team
Curious, why were they being taunted?

Curious, why were they being taunted?
Because it was the height of the Cold War and both sides were told to hate the other. Plus, my oldest brother was pretty good looking - total 70s blond surfer look - and all the high school girls were interested in him, so the jealous guys were salty.

Nothing major - we were all pretty popular because the Poles were really chafing under the Soviet yoke by then, and we were a curiosity.

A couple of addendums to what I posted above that you guys might find interesting.

As I said, the gold medal matches we watched in Munich were really good and besides the ones I mentioned, there was one other that really made an impression on me. At 52 kg, (114.6 lb) the gold medal match was between Japan and Russia. The name of the Japanese guy was, get this, Kato! (I don’t remember if one of the guys in his corner was wearing a green outfit.)

Kato just blew the Russian away. He took a square stance with a slight crouch and then raised both arms and clapped his hands really hard right in the face of the Russian guy. It was just enough to get the guy to look up and then Kato hit him with a blast double and probably got some exposure points too.. If I remember correctly, he did this three times and scored each time. I don’t know if the match is on YouTube, but it would be well worth watching.

Matter7172, if you were familiar with the F&M team in 1972, you also might remember Chris’ team mate, Andy Noel. Andy was pretty decent too and stayed involved with the sport for a long time. He was the head coach at Cornell for a long time and later was promoted to AD. He’s the one who was responsible for bringing in Rob Koll as well as some of the assistant coaches. Gabe Dean spoke very highly of him in an interview. Andy retired after the 2023 year but he’s still pretty closely connected with Cornell wrestling.

Great story! Thanks for sharing. So much in the way of security, media coverage, athletes’ availability, venue construction has changed since then. We live in a different world now.

Reactions: creamery freak
A couple of addendums to what I posted above that you guys might find interesting.

As I said, the gold medal matches we watched in Munich were really good and besides the ones I mentioned, there was one other that really made an impression on me. At 52 kg, (114.6 lb) the gold medal match was between Japan and Russia. The name of the Japanese guy was, get this, Kato! (I don’t remember if one of the guys in his corner was wearing a green outfit.)

Kato just blew the Russian away. He took a square stance with a slight crouch and then raised both arms and clapped his hands really hard right in the face of the Russian guy. It was just enough to get the guy to look up and then Kato hit him with a blast double and probably got some exposure points too.. If I remember correctly, he did this three times and scored each time. I don’t know if the match is on YouTube, but it would be well worth watching.

Matter7172, if you were familiar with the F&M team in 1972, you also might remember Chris’ team mate, Andy Noel. Andy was pretty decent too and stayed involved with the sport for a long time. He was the head coach at Cornell for a long time and later was promoted to AD. He’s the one who was responsible for bringing in Rob Koll as well as some of the assistant coaches. Gabe Dean spoke very highly of him in an interview. Andy retired after the 2023 year but he’s still pretty closely connected with Cornell wrestling.

That’s a heck of a story.

I remember watching the 72 Olympics while growing up. I was just 14 years old.

I was in Munich on a group tour in April and was the only one from our group who chose to visit the Olympic Park.

While there I decided to try to find the apartment where the Israeli athletes were held hostage. It is not easy to find. I asked numerous people and most had no clue about it at all.

After more than an hour I found the general location. It’s actually outside the Olympic Park and is across the street from it. I finally found a woman who lived in the apartment complex and she was nice enough to take me there.

The apartment is marked with a plaque for the Israeli athletes. I took a few pictures, said a prayer for those killed and then went on my way.

I feel a bit disappointed in our freestyle performances, in my opinion this was a so-so Olympics. No gold.

Reactions: Ski
I feel a bit disappointed in our freestyle performances, in my opinion this was a so-so Olympics. No gold.
I agree as we had high expectations but with any competition at this level - you have to have things go right for you. A lot of work and time spent be scouted. We had some bad luck and it would be cool to 'run it back' as I liked our team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT