ADVERTISEMENT

My friend's dog ate all the tinsel off his tree.

Do they even make tinsel for trees anymore? We haven’t used the stuff since the late 60’s.

They do, but we no longer use it and I rarely see it anywhere. For me it takes too long to put it on so that it hangs correctly. When we did use it early in our marriage, my wife was one of those "one strand at a time" types. It took forever.

Is tinsel and what we called “ice cycles” (strips of very thin colored shiny metallic paper) the same thing?
If so my parents always used that on the tree when growing up.

Yes. This stuff.

retro_inspired_silver_metallic_tinsel_strands.jpg

Reactions: BBrown
Horror story for us DVM's. Hopefully they got it all out before it entered the intestine..... otherwise "linear foreign object".
I true nightmare. Wish the best.

Reactions: fairgambit
The vet said it was the worst case of tinsellitis he had ever seen. :) (Sorry, too much eggnog.)

[DISCLAIMER: No dog actually ate tinsel in the telling of this stupid joke.)
We had a dog growing up that used to eat tinsel off the Christmas tree. We would find it sparkling at various spots throughout the yard.

True story. (I know, I know....true story.)
Story is true. Back in the day all young men turning 18 were required to report to the New Cumberland Army Depot for a physical to see if you were fit for induction into the armed forces, i.e military draft. The physical would reveal if one was "1A" (eligible for the draft) or if a medical problem disqualified you from serving. Nearly all guys reporting were given "1A" status, some given a medical waiver. Some guys were required to go back to the army depot multiple times for a physical if they previously flunked the physical. One guy from my town was famous for taking the physical so many times and failing although he appeared to be physically fit. I knew him very well and was on the bus the last time he was called for a physical. He sat across the isle from me on the bus and was drinking from a quart bottle of orange juice. As the day went on guys started getting back on the bus after completing their physical.The OJ guy was one of the last to finish up and everyone on the bus was waiting to see how he made out this time. Soon, he appeared with a medic holding him by each arm and they gingerly placed him on the bus with a warning that he had to follow up immediately with his family doctor concerning his chest trays. Obviously, he once again flunked. We were all cracking up when we saw him coming back to the bus as we all knew his legendary history. Once on the bus he fell asleep. Seen him around town and at social events over the years and he always, still does, looks healthier than a horse. Asked him years ago how he always flunked his physical. He said do you remember the OJ? Told him I did. He said his trick was............eating tensil and washing it down with the OJ on the way to the physical. Said the xrays were wild looking and the military doctors had no idea what his condition was. He never did get drafted.

They do, but we no longer use it and I rarely see it anywhere. For me it takes too long to put it on so that it hangs correctly. When we did use it early in our marriage, my wife was one of those "one strand at a time" types. It took forever.
That is the correct way to display Tinsel, kudos to your mate. My Karen still does the same.

That is the correct way to display Tinsel, kudos to your mate. My Karen still does the same.
Well, it does look great, but it took her 2 days to get it all on. I finally convinced her to give it up. For a few years we put one piece on the tree, just to keep up the tradition, but now, for better or worse, we are tinselless.

Well, it does look great, but it took her 2 days to get it all on. I finally convinced her to give it up. For a few years we put one piece on the tree, just to keep up the tradition, but now, for better or worse, we are tinselless.
Did you and Mrs. Gambit even erect a tree this season? I don’t recall you regaling this board with your tale of you and Mrs G. trekking the wilds of Western Pa. in search of the freshest, most attractive Christmas tree.

Did you and Mrs. Gambit even erect a tree this season? I don’t recall you sharing any tales of You both trekking the wilds in search of the freshest, most attractive Christmas tree.
Thanks for asking.
Indeed we did. I mentioned it in passing in one of my posts. We went to the tree farm on December 18th and Mrs. G quickly found a lovely 10 foot Canaan Fir which I quickly felled. Ah, to be honest it took me 10 minutes of sawing and cussing. Finally, the owner came by and asked if he could help. About 5 seconds later it came down with a thud. He graciously said I did all the hard work. Anyway, we put this 10 foot tree on the roof of my RX-8, which made for quite a sight. The owner asked if he should put the tree on the car or the car on the tree? Funny guy. To make along story short, we got it home and put it up last Thursday. Decorating took Friday and Saturday and I sit beside it as I type this. It's absolutely beautiful. Really stunning. Anyway, now it will stay up at least till February. Lent starts later this year, March 6th, and we always take it down before Lent. :)

The vet said it was the worst case of tinsellitis he had ever seen. :) (Sorry, too much eggnog.)

[DISCLAIMER: No dog actually ate tinsel in the telling of this stupid joke.)
At least he didn’t drink a can of Pennzoil like cousin Eddie’s dog Snotts.

Is tinsel and what we called “ice cycles” (strips of very thin colored shiny metallic paper) the same thing?
If so my parents always used that on the tree when growing up.
Depends on where you are from, methinks. Mrs KG, who is a midwesterner, calls them "icicles". For her, "tinsel" is the sparkly garlands you throw on a tree. We have the same disagreement about "jimmies" vs "sprinkles"--but I gave up on "soda" vs "pop" a long time ago.
s-l1000.jpg

Depends on where you are from, methinks. Mrs KG, who is a midwesterner, calls them "icicles". For her, "tinsel" is the sparkly garlands you throw on a tree. We have the same disagreement about "jimmies" vs "sprinkles"--but I gave up on "soda" vs "pop" a long time ago.
s-l1000.jpg

I think you are correct. It does seem to be regional.
I'm from Western PA and we called what you have pictured "tinsel".
What we called "Garland" was either real pine or artificial.

Is tinsel and what we called “ice cycles” (strips of very thin colored shiny metallic paper)

Depends on where you are from, methinks. Mrs KG, who is a midwesterner, calls them "icicles
Found this....
For other uses, see Tinsel (disambiguation).

Tinsel on a Christmas tree
Tinsel is a type of decorative material that mimics the effect of ice, consisting of thin strips of sparkling material attached to a thread. When in long narrow strips not attached to thread, it is called "lametta", and emulates icicles. It was originally a metallic garland for Christmas decoration. The modern production of tinsel typically involves plastic, and is used particularly to decorate Christmas trees. It may be hung from ceilings or wrapped around statues, lampposts, and so on. Modern tinsel was invented in Nuremberg, Germany, in 1610, and was originally made of shredded silver.

According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary, the word is from the Old French word estincele, meaning “sparkle”.

Well, you have no excuse not to pick up your dog’s crap for awhile. It should be easy to find.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT