ADVERTISEMENT

My Season Thoughts (Hoops)

JHoops

May 29, 2001
What a great season, a 26 win team with a NIT Championship!! This team certainly deserved it and they worked so hard for it, probably one of my favorite PSU teams! They came together, especially without Watkins, and put something special together to hopefully lead to a tournament birth next year.

1) Credit to Chambers and staff! They kept that team believing and working hard for the whole year, especially during the tough loss to Rider and to Purdue. If Chambers doesn't get an extension I might write one up myself and personally hand it to him!! Unreal job and he deserves everything. We have the right man for the job. I expect him to get to work recruting very soon.

2) Tony Carr had an excellent season, proud of the way he changed his game from the beginning. As I have said, we will know within the next week! It is going to be a process, one that he has worked for. Selfish, I hope he is back, but my gut says it is going to be close. I am 55/45 he is back, but it all depends on how he tests out!! He has a NBA future. One aspect is that he loves Pat and loves playing with Lamar Stevens!

3) Lamar Stevens had an unreal tournament and a huge season. One aspect that he has improved by leaps and bounds is his mid-range game! That makes him a top tier player. He is already our best defender! I look for him to take the next step next year. One of my favorite players to watch. He carried the team for the last month.

4) Glad to hear Mike Watkins is coming back, which I am sure will be his last year. If Carr does leave, this lessens the blow. I believe he can be a First Team all leauge player.

5) All of a sudden we have excellent bench depth going into next year, which is a credit to Chambers and staff. We have an excellent young big man in Harrar, which is to me was a huge development within the last month. We have two very high quality freshman coming in with Bolton and Dread. We also have Wheeler! So, what was a six man team now has grown to an eight-man rotation, which is HUGE!!! Maybe Bostick can improve?

6) Thank you to Shep Garner! He had an excellent career and a great month and a half! His shooting was absolutely big time! He deserves a ton of credit, he is the recruit that turned the tide and opened up getting the Philly pipeline going. Very solid four year career.

7) Going into the off-season I am curious to see how the positive momentum carries into recruiting? We have ground and a program to stand on, whoch helps selling to recruits. We are in a stand still until Tony decides what he wants to do. If he goes to the NBA I expect us to start recruiting a PG a year earlier. I do expect us to be agressive in the big man market. I will have more updates as I get more information.

Enjoy, its fun to have a bigtime basketball program! I will have a recruting update in a few days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News