ADVERTISEMENT

National championship boring

Okay couldn't disagree more...you're going to have to adjust because the playoff is going to 12 and then beyond.
I am hopeful that the expansion will help bring more competitiveness and parity. The more teams involved will hopefully make recruiting more competitive as well.

Reactions: LandoComando
I am hopeful that the expansion will help bring more competitiveness and parity. The more teams involved will hopefully make recruiting more competitive as well.
It's going to get worse not better

No, because the entire college football playoff is boring. And it has made the college football regular season more boring too.
I second this statement. College football has changed so much in recent years and the luster is diminishing.

Reactions: MacNit07
Maybe, but the game tonight shows that the current format, which made all but two bowl games irrelevant, sucks.
Which is why we're going to 12 teams. There will be so many more relevant games in the regular season as that happens.

Reactions: MacNit07
Which is why we're going to 12 teams. There will be so many more relevant games in the regular season as that happens.
Yep, more teams and more fans will be exited and paying attention going down the November home stretch. They will also need to include additional bowl games in the playoff structure which will make the bowls that are included more relevant as well.

This what you get when prop up a team that played nobody, nearly lost to 3 unranked teams, played 5 one score games in the worst conference in football, lost their championship game to a 3 loss team (at the time, now a 4 loss team) and totally lucked into beating Michigan with miracle plays on the one yard line and the Michigan coaches calling red zone plays like pee wee league coaches.
If we reward the SEC for playing in a tough conference, we should equally punish a team that plays in the worst conference. When you don't treat things equal, this is what you get.
The committee fundamentally looks at late season games wrong.....Instead of looking at late season games as irrelevant and not meaning things like they viewed the Big 12 championship game they should look at them as must win play-in games....I don't care if Alabama or Ohio State or whoever is at home watching while a mediocre team in a bad conference has to play their way an extra game, they earned it by being part of a poor conference.
I only predicted a 3 score win by Georgia, when it turned out to be an 8 score win, boy was I mistaken.

Last edited:
This what you get when prop up a team that played nobody, nearly lost to 3 unranked teams, played 5 one score games in the worst conference in football, lost their championship game to a 3 loss team (at the time, now a 4 loss team) and totally lucked into beating Michigan with miracle plays on the one yard line and the Michigan coaches calling red zone plays like pee wee league coaches.
If we reward the SEC for playing in a tough conference, we should equally punish a team that plays in the worst conference. When you don't treat things equal, this is what you get.
The committee fundamentally looks at late season games wrong.....Instead of looking at late season games as irrelevant and not meaning things like they viewed the Big 12 championship game they should look at them as must win play-in games....I don't care if Alabama or Ohio State or whoever is at home watching while a mediocre team in a bad conference has to play their way an extra game, they earned it by part of a poor conference.
I only predicted a 3 score win by Georgia, when it turned out to be an 8 score win, boy was I mistaken.

I didn't waste my time watching. The 4 team playoff created this joke. I doubt anyone fan of a valid playoff system enjoys this groundhog day imitation. The only thing that is funny is Smarts dullard arrogance and Saban's outrage. Lol 😂 Loonie Toons.

I didn't waste my time watching. The 4 team playoff created this joke. I doubt anyone fan of a valid playoff system enjoys this groundhog day imitation. The only thing that is funny is Smarts dullard arrogance and Saban's outrage. Lol 😂 Loonie Toons.
The committee bent over backward to include TCU after they lost to K State. K State was their highest-ranked opponent whom they beat (14 at the time of the win) and K-State got throttled by Alabama. As a two-loss team, Alabama or Tenn should have been included as the fourth team.

Only by UM spotting TCU 21 points in the first half did they make it to the final game.

Just for fun, here's Stetson Bennett's recruiting profile from early 2021 (he was a 3 star out of junior college where he had not been very successful)

"Shorter quarterback who is listed under 6-feet. Has a naturally thin frame and has added some weight over the last few years and is likely maxed out in terms of manageable bulk. Was initially on Georgia’s roster as a walk-on before heading to junior college for a season. A good athlete who has speed and mobility for the position. At his best when he can use his mobility to make plays out of the pocket. Has good feet and can evade the pass rush to make plays outside of structure. Has a quick, ¾ to side-arm release and can deliver from multiple arm slots. Lacks stature and has average arm strength. Was not super productive in junior college with a high interception rate and low yards per attempt. Projects as a backup quarterback who will provide depth at the Power 5 level."

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
Just for fun, here's Stetson Bennett's recruiting profile from early 2021 (he was a 3 star out of junior college where he had not been very successful)

"Shorter quarterback who is listed under 6-feet. Has a naturally thin frame and has added some weight over the last few years and is likely maxed out in terms of manageable bulk. Was initially on Georgia’s roster as a walk-on before heading to junior college for a season. A good athlete who has speed and mobility for the position. At his best when he can use his mobility to make plays out of the pocket. Has good feet and can evade the pass rush to make plays outside of structure. Has a quick, ¾ to side-arm release and can deliver from multiple arm slots. Lacks stature and has average arm strength. Was not super productive in junior college with a high interception rate and low yards per attempt. Projects as a backup quarterback who will provide depth at the Power 5 level."
well, he has superior athletes around him but makes great decisions, is fast, and great pocket awareness. Reminds me of the Tom Brady NFL scouting reports:

--Poor build
--Skinny
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield
--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

The problem I see with college football is that there’s likely only two teams (Alabama, Ohio State) that could take on Georgia this year, perhaps one or two others as well. Clemson could be included in year’s past also.

At the same time, it can’t just be the SEC + Ohio State invitational. On the field results should matter, yet that produced TCU. So what gives? It seems like with NIL and today’s age of college football, the gap will only get wider between those schools and the rest.

Reactions: lazydave841
Teams like TCU aren't built to play two physical games in a row only a week apart. Everything lined up perfectly for them to beat Mich. The twelve team playoff will prevent teams like this making the finals. There will be upsets but winning two in a row against top competition is a different animal.

The problem I see with college football is that there’s likely only two teams (Alabama, Ohio State) that could take on Georgia this year, perhaps one or two others as well. Clemson could be included in year’s past also.

At the same time, it can’t just be the SEC + Ohio State invitational. On the field results should matter, yet that produced TCU. So what gives? It seems like with NIL and today’s age of college football, the gap will only get wider between those schools and the rest.

At this point, we need one of 2 things to happen.

1. Bama, UGA, OSU automatic playoff bids due to immense roster talent. Regardless of record, they will put up a fight vs anybody regardless.

2. Modify the system to where the criteria for getting in is known up front.

The people who championed TCU for beating Michigan are now upset that they got throttled by UGA. The best team won. That's what it's about.

If UGA vs Bama is desirable, petition the SEC to make that the 2nd to last game every November. Bama lost to UT and LSU, both of whom UGA beat handily.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I'm in no way an Ohio State fan but if the last hit that knocked Marvin Harrison out of the game didn't happen they probably win by 2 tds over Georgia. The bad part is the Big 10 East could have 3 of the top 5 teams in the country next year. We could be 3rd in the division again.

The Big 10 are idiots for playing a 9 game conference schedule and having the imbalanced alignments.
Ohio State put themselves in position to win vs GA, no doubt. That said, I wasn’t all that impressed with their D this season. They were awful vs Michigan and GA and apart from that DE having the game of his life vs PSU, they were just OK. PSU will be neck and neck with them next season.

Reactions: creamery freak
At this point, we need one of 2 things to happen.

1. Bama, UGA, OSU automatic playoff bids due to immense roster talent. Regardless of record, they will put up a fight vs anybody regardless.

2. Modify the system to where the criteria for getting in is known up front.

The people who championed TCU for beating Michigan are now upset that they got throttled by UGA. The best team won. That's what it's about.

If UGA vs Bama is desirable, petition the SEC to make that the 2nd to last game every November. Bama lost to UT and LSU, both of whom UGA beat handily.
Expanding to 12 solves some if this as Bama Georgia and Ohio State are locks regardless of what else happens. I still think less than 20 doesn't work with 10 conferences but 12 is a start and we'll double that by 2034

While viewing the game stunk, it is what it is. That’s on Michigan, although don’t think it would have been a nailbiter.

I’m glad Bama wasn’t provided an opportunity in the CFP this season. They lost twice during the year. There should be (and were) consequences for their failures. Not in the future.

A 15-0 UGA team is a worthy champ. I like that better than a 13-2 team that got hot.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
well, he has superior athletes around him but makes great decisions, is fast, and great pocket awareness. Reminds me of the Tom Brady NFL scouting reports:

--Poor build
--Skinny
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield
--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily
True -- Michigan fans saw Brady as bench material -- Drew Henson was their 5 star QB recruit. I remember those games with Michigan where Brady sat back in the pocket behind that huge Michigan line and picked the PSU secondary apart. That was the days of legalized holding in the B1G. PSU couldn't rattle him -- they couldn't get anywhere near him.

True -- Michigan fans saw Brady as bench material -- Drew Henson was their 5 star QB recruit. I remember those games with Michigan where Brady sat back in the pocket behind that huge Michigan line and picked the PSU secondary apart. That was the days of legalized holding in the B1G. PSU couldn't rattle him -- they couldn't get anywhere near him.
Umm, Michigan is still permitted to hold in conference games

While viewing the game stunk, it is what it is. That’s on Michigan, although don’t think it would have been a nailbiter.

I’m glad Bama wasn’t provided an opportunity in the CFP this season. They lost twice during the year. There should be (and were) consequences for their failures. Not in the future.

A 15-0 UGA team is a worthy champ. I like that better than a 13-2 team that got hot.
Nobody was beating Georgia last night, nobody. It would have been a closer game, but still a walk in the park for Georgia regardless of opponent.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Well, I'm sure that Georgia alums and fans are happy with the outcome of the CFB Playoffs. But there's a BIG drop off for everyone else in terms of satisfaction level. I'm not necessarily advocating for a return to the pure bowl system and a "mythical" national championship, but it sure did seem like more teams ended the season happy than is now the case. The Playoffs have drained some degree of luster and importance from the various bowl games, and replaced it with ... what?

Well, I'm sure that Georgia alums and fans are happy with the outcome of the CFB Playoffs. But there's a BIG drop off for everyone else in terms of satisfaction level. I'm not necessarily advocating for a return to the pure bowl system and a "mythical" national championship, but it sure did seem like more teams ended the season happy than is now the case. The Playoffs have drained some degree of luster and importance from the various bowl games, and replaced it with ... what?
I can only speak for me but PSU winning the rose bowl and Michigan and Ohio St (losers of 2 straight) going out losers is quite enjoyable.

But I do have major concerns about the Georgia/Alabama stranglehold on the championship. That part is very boring and not good for college football in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjw165
A better system that will continue to improve as it expands. There is no importance to the bowl games. It was replaced by having the goal to make the playoff or you failed. As with every other sports. The bowls are rewards for not being good enough now. Or mediocre.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT