ADVERTISEMENT

Natural grass vs turf

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
apparently, when Rogers went down, lots of talking heads came out and said that MetLife stadium is a great place to end an athlete's career because the surface is so crappy. There was a segment showing two back-to-back primetime football games in and among several other stadium activities. You could see the surface was worn in many areas. I recall the Philly football field showing the seems during games, where a player could get stuck.

The challenge is how these franchises could possibly maintain a natural surface with so much activity. Take the Steelers and Pitt for example. The surface is chewed up in the late season with the Steelers, Pitt and many HS activities on that surface.

This may well be a great point for PSU to make when recruiting against teams like UM and tOSU who play on artificial surfaces.

In any case, someone actually sat down and studied it.

Reactions: NedFromYork
ND also now has an artificial surface.

I thought that the new type of artificial turf with the rubber pellets is much safer than the old artificial turf that was used in places like Veterans Stadium and Three Rivers Stadium; I was at the Steelers game at TRS in 1995 against the Lions when Rod Woodson tore his ACL on a non-contact play, and I remember the Bears wide receiver who messed his knee up just running down the field at The Vet.

Like you said, the problem with natural grass in places like Pittsburgh is that so many games are played on it that it must be redone at least once during the season, if not more, and the grass basically becomes an issue once you get into late fall and winter. Just last weekend, there apparently were issues with the grass for the Steelers-49ers game after Pitt and Cincy played on it a little over 12 hours earlier.

Last edited:
ND also now has an artificial surface.

I thought that the new type of artificial turf with the rubber pellets is much safer than the old artificial turf that was used in places like Veterans Stadium and Three Rivers Stadium; I was at the Steelers game at TRS in 1995 against the Lions when Rod Woodson tore his ACL on a non-contact play, and I remember the Bears wide receiver who messed his knee up just running down the field at The Vet.

Like you said, the problem with natural grass in places like Pittsburgh is that so many games are played on it that it must be redone at least once during the season, if not more, and the grass basically becomes an issue one you get into late fall and winter. Just last weekend, there apparently were issues with the grass for the Steelers-49ers game after Pitt and Cincy played on it a little over 12 hours earlier.
Watched about five minutes of the Texas ‘bama game. It was 110. Sideline reporter said she had melted rubber pellets stuck to her shoes. That had to be brutal playing conditions.

Several years ago there was a lot of talk about the rubber causing cancer in athletes. Seems they breathe in a lot fumes and micro particles and athletes breathe them deep into their lungs. Soccer goalies were especially impacted.

Haven’t much about in a couple years…….was it proven not true?

Watched about five minutes of the Texas ‘bama game. It was 110. Sideline reporter said she had melted rubber pellets stuck to her shoes. That had to be brutal playing conditions.

Several years ago there was a lot of talk about the rubber causing cancer in athletes. Seems they breathe in a lot fumes and micro particles and athletes breathe them deep into their lungs. Soccer goalies were especially impacted.

I don't know. It's interesting that the Ravens actually went from artificial turf back to grass several years ago.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Natural grass is a hell of a lot better than terf. Thought I remember Met Life having a significant amount of injuries past few years. Think a lot of what’s installed comes down to money. Natural grass requires a lot of upkeep. If I was a player, I’d wanna play on grass. Artificial terf is nothing more than padded carpet on top of concrete. The rubber pelts have helped with cleats getting stuck. But in my humble opinion it has not stopped the freak injuries you see occurring. Was always surprised NFLPA never made a push for grass fields. With the LED lighting grass can easily be grown indoors.

Reactions: Obliviax
Natural grass is a hell of a lot better than terf. Thought I remember Met Life having a significant amount of injuries past few years. Think a lot of what’s installed comes down to money. Natural grass requires a lot of upkeep. If I was a player, I’d wanna play on grass. Artificial terf is nothing more than padded carpet on top of concrete. The rubber pelts have helped with cleats getting stuck. But in my humble opinion it has not stopped the freak injuries you see occurring. Was always surprised NFLPA never made a push for grass fields. With the LED lighting grass can easily be grown indoors.
or do what Vegas and Arizona have - roll the turf in for games and out the rest of the time for the sunlight of course you can't retrofit this technology.

I had this argument with friends before when talking about high school fields. They use the NFL argument but that an apples to oranges comparison. Yes an professionally maintained grass field is the safest. However artificial turf is safer than 99% of grass high school fields that are not properly maintained and are overused.

My niece plays soccer in central PA (Lewistown). PIAA would not allow them a home game because the field was natural grass. Even though the had home field advantage, they were forced to play at a school that had artificial terf. That’s a hell of burden to put on small school districts with lower income residents.

My grandaughter plays on her girls HS Flag football team in TN and also played in a Rec league this summer. One Saturday in August they played back-to-back games on an artificial surface. The temp on the field was 112 degrees. We were sitting in the stands covering ourselves with golf umbrellas. I was shocked they played the games.

My grandaughter plays on her girls HS Flag football team in TN and also played in a Rec league this summer. One Saturday in August they played back-to-back games on an artificial surface. The temp on the field was 112 degrees. We were sitting in the stands covering ourselves with golf umbrellas. I was shocked they played the games.
Yep, that is dangerous heat. Thought the Tx game should have been delayed until after sunset……but TV dollars rule…..😡

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT