ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA academic enforcement

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
attended a seminar yesterday re academic standards and student retention. member of ncaa academic enforcement division (which is a big group) spoke. the presenter indicated that it is the responsibility of the ncaa to ENFORCE academic standards re the member schools.

What the hell happened at UNC then ?
I think the NCAA said that their hands were tied. Apparently schools can offer crap classes to athletes as long as they also offer them to all students.

I think the NCAA said that their hands were tied. Apparently schools can offer crap classes to athletes as long as they also offer them to all students.

Which is BS since they hammered Cal Tech a few years back for legitimately offering essentially a class "test drive" program to all students. Some athletics used this program, essentially meaning they played sports while not being formally enrolled for the minimum necessary credits per semester, and the NCAA cried foul.

Reactions: Bob78 and psu00
Don't understand how they could allow them to offer any crap classes to any students.. It's supposed to be an accredited institution, correct?

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
attended a seminar yesterday re academic standards and student retention. member of ncaa academic enforcement division (which is a big group) spoke. the presenter indicated that it is the responsibility of the ncaa to ENFORCE academic standards re the member schools.
Don't understand how they could allow them to offer any crap classes to any students.. It's supposed to be an accredited institution, correct?

i think that the ncaa in UNC's case indicated that this was NOT a sports issue (i.e. the offering to all students) and instead was a general academic issue and should be dealt with as part of accreditation organizations.

i have a flow chart i pulled of on a USB drive and will send it. it actually shows that even if an academic program/classes meet the school's academic policies, that the ncaa can STILL put the program and approach through their test (4-5 conditions they look at). one of those tests is whether there was substantial assistance to the student-athlete. in other words, even if the program met the school's academic standards, the ncaa could still decide that it was an academic violation if it met these tests. that hammer was used in several university investigations.

Reactions: gslachta
member of ncaa academic enforcement division (which is a big group) spoke.
tenor.gif

All students can get jobs, but athletes can't. All students can have money given to them, but athletes can't. I thought the NCAA was there to make sure athletes weren't getting things that all students can get.

All students can get jobs, but athletes can't. All students can have money given to them, but athletes can't. I thought the NCAA was there to make sure athletes weren't getting things that all students can get.

I think student athletes can get jobs. They just don't have time.
Athletes can have money given to them, just not by the school, other kid's parents, boosters, etc.

Reactions: Petch
I think student athletes can get jobs. They just don't have time.
Athletes can have money given to them, just not by the school, other kid's parents, boosters, etc.
Doesn't Penn State give student athletes and annual stipend of $4,800? Didn't that start in 2015? I thought Penn State gives the largest stipend in the Big Ten.

Doesn't Penn State give student athletes and annual stipend of $4,800? Didn't that start in 2015? I thought Penn State gives the largest stipend in the Big Ten.

Yup, but that's prescribed by the NCAA in its definition of acceptable financial aid.

Another way of saying that they weren't going to touch this with a 10' pole.

Athletes can have jobs. They just have to actually work and be paid prevailing wages. IE Joe Booster can not hire them to wash cars at $500 an hour. Athletes can be given money but it my not be tied to athletic performance in any way. So rich uncle Fred can give you $5000 for college. However Joe Booster can’t.

Getting cash is not an issue for any of these athletes. You can hide your head in the sand all you want but even at Penn State guys are getting $100 hand shakes, free meals, tattoos, drinks or other inproper benefits. It happens at every school and their is nothing the NCAA or any other organization can do about it. The NCAA is only going to do something when it becomes systematic and coaching staffs are arranging it.

What the hell happened at UNC then ?

Exception is North Carolina

If it is the responsibility of the NCAA to ENFORCE academic standards re: the member schools, then the NCAA needs to put it into their rule book and by-laws. North Carolina fought their case breaking no NCAA rules since the NCAA had none on academic requirements in their rule book for their member institutions. That is the reason they were not penalized in this case. If the NCAA had tried to penalize UNC, they would have taken them to court and won.

If Penn State's BOT had the smarts and guts, it would have done the same thing on the penalties the NCAA made up to sanction PSU. NCAA made up rules to sanction Penn State. The sad part is Penn State just accepted the penalties.

Athletes can have jobs. They just have to actually work and be paid prevailing wages. IE Joe Booster can not hire them to wash cars at $500 an hour. Athletes can be given money but it my not be tied to athletic performance in any way. So rich uncle Fred can give you $5000 for college. However Joe Booster can’t.

Getting cash is not an issue for any of these athletes. You can hide your head in the sand all you want but even at Penn State guys are getting $100 hand shakes, free meals, tattoos, drinks or other inproper benefits. It happens at every school and their is nothing the NCAA or any other organization can do about it. The NCAA is only going to do something when it becomes systematic and coaching staffs are arranging it.
Please provide your proof that all schools are doing it and every school is cheating. The point I was making is it shouldn't matter if these classes were available to all students, the NCAA should be concerned with the athletes. There are a lot of things available for regular students that athletes are not allowed to do and the NCAA gets involved in those situations. My son played D-1 sports and believe me there are a lot more rules for athletes than for non-athletes.

If it is the responsibility of the NCAA to ENFORCE academic standards re: the member schools, then the NCAA needs to put it into their rule book and by-laws. North Carolina fought their case breaking no NCAA rules since the NCAA had none on academic requirements in their rule book for their member institutions. That is the reason they were not penalized in this case. If the NCAA had tried to penalize UNC, they would have taken them to court and won.

If Penn State's BOT had the smarts and guts, it would have done the same thing on the penalties the NCAA made up to sanction PSU. NCAA made up rules to sanction Penn State. The sad part is Penn State just accepted the penalties.

Penn State's BOT not only accepted the penalties, it invited them by using the findings of a Freeh Report it commissioned for itself (the University was not Freeh's client) as a vehicle to falsely and wrongfully incriminate the football program and Joe Paterno in the public eye and thus hopefully deflect public attention from The Second Mile, where several powerful members had personally served as trustees, or had a spouse or adult offspring who served -- during the period when Sandusky was actively mining the place as his own personal victim farm. My own belief is that the BOT leadership was willing to do whatever it might've taken to keep anything resembling a real investigation as far as humanly possible from TSM, lest they be personally exposed to breach-of-fiduciary-duty risk there, with possibly-very-severe legal penalties and significant personal embarrassment.

There may have been other reasons for their eagerness as well, but those are speculative and never proven. In the event, the yellowest of journalism, driven by a 24 - 7 news cycle, was allowed to eagerly and uncritically seize upon the Freeh Report Party Line and proceed to wrongly and wrongfully destroy the personal reputation of an innocent man who had done nothing more than, correctly, forward the one hearsay report he ever received concerning Sandusky's conduct in the shower to his administrative superior and then try to stay out of the way of any criminal investigation, understanding, unlike most of general public, that Sandusky had not been a PSU employee at the time he received the report and that criminal investigation is generally not an area of expertise for a football coach -- no matter how famous.

Last edited:
On top of all the egregious things that asshole emmert said about Penn State, remember that he even called out the program's academic integrity. Burning in hell isn't harsh enough for that prick.

And Ira Lubert and the rest of the scumbags on the bot agreed the football program had an academic problem.

Reactions: Bob78
I'll take "Common Myths" for $800 Alex.

I wonder how the No Clue At All responded to the Rosa Park's essay written by an athlete that received an A-?! Just as that broke I sent it to a friend who is an adjunct professor to ask what level he thought the writer was (he didn't know where it came from). He said around 4th or 5th grade. Needless to say he was shocked to hear it got an A- in college.

Please provide your proof that all schools are doing it and every school is cheating. The point I was making is it shouldn't matter if these classes were available to all students, the NCAA should be concerned with the athletes. There are a lot of things available for regular students that athletes are not allowed to do and the NCAA gets involved in those situations. My son played D-1 sports and believe me there are a lot more rules for athletes than for non-athletes.

Suggest going and reading the twitter page of Walter Byerz and you will find some examples with school names and types of courses.

While this is purely a hypothetical. If the NCAA received a firm mandate from the federal government to enforce rigid academic standards you would initially have at least 10 to 12 schools literally shut down their BB programs.

Football as we know it today would be a thing of the past, immediately generating a need for semi professional teams.

Last edited:
While this is purely a hypothetical. If the NCAA received a firm mandate from the federal government to enforce rigid academic standards you would initially have at least 10 to 12 schools literally shut down their BB programs.

Football as we know it today would be a thing of the past, immediately generating a need for semi professional teams.

This is really very simple: the NCAA does what the college presidents want it to do which is to: a) keep the money train churning; and b) protect them from being embarrassed by the way their athletic programs are conducted. Academics, education has nothing to do with it. Anyone who believes otherwise hasn't been paying attention.

;

Reactions: RU31trap
This is really very simple: the NCAA does what the college presidents want it to do which is to: a) keep the money train churning; and b) protect them from being embarrassed by the way their athletic programs are conducted. Academics, education has nothing to do with it. Anyone who believes otherwise hasn't been paying attention.

;
100% correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT