ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Championships - 2019 through 2022

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
I believe the NCAA has set this coming Monday, June 6th, as the date they will accept city bids to host the NCAA Championships for the next 4-year cycle. Four years ago, some (but not all) of the cities published their intent in local and national newspapers, so keep your eyes peeled for any news on interested cities.

Will St. Louis host 2 of the 4 years?
Will New York City go after another?
Will Pittsburgh and Philadelphia both bid, as they did in 2012?

I know it will never happen, but I'd love to go to SLC, Boise, Denver, or Portland for NCAAs. Given it's March, I'd actually support Nashville. Geographically it's no farther from the participation-weighted center of the sport than OKC or NYC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I really hope you are the decision-maker in this matter. There's gotta be better in the midwest. Chicago. Dallas.

I don't know. St Louis does a good job (except getting us into Session 1 in 2015) and it is very easy to get around and from and to the airport on the train. Same thing between sessions.

Reactions: hawkssox1
The effort to get people into the building for session 1 (2015) was very pathetic. It was like they got caught off guard because they did not know what to expect.
The rest of the sessions were better, but still kind of pathetic. They still restricted the flow in from the front and allowed the side entrance to relieve some of the pressure. If you are going to host an event that is going to have 12,000 to 20,000 people coming and going through your doors 6 times in a 3 day period it is ok to pay a few extra people to take tickets and run people through the security checks.

I feel differently about St. Louis. As compared to Okie City and Des Moines, for example, the food options were terrific, and the Metro Passes the city makes available for the 5-day window of Championships make it incredibly easy to get to/from the airport, most hotels, and the Scottrade Center, not to mention eating places away from the venue (McGurk's, etc.). They hosted so many of the past 13 years (6), and have been a much-better-than-average host, that I'll give them a pass on the hiccup on day 1 of 2015...as frustrating as it was.

Reactions: hawkssox1
I am surprised Jerry Jones hasn't bid on it to put it in Cowboy Stadium... o_O
That was on my mind when I said Dallas. It's an indoor/outdoor stadium, and temps average 70 in mid March. You could get 40,000 per session in there.

Reactions: bwifan
Since it's been moved off of college campuses, here's the city breakdown...

St. Louis 7
Oklahoma City 2
New York 1
Auburn Hills, Mich. 1
Omaha, Neb. 1
Des Moines, Iowa 1
Philadelphia 1
Iowa 1 (This is the last one held on a college campus, CHA, 2001)
Albany, N.Y. 1
Kansas City, Mo. 1

Posted this so all could see that the NCAA generally does not go too far from centers of college wrestling. They've avoided the West Coast, Texas (big state, so separate mention), and the Southeastern U.S.

For fun, here's a pretty cool interactive map. Select/deselect the division (D1, D2, D3, NJCAA, etc.) to look at it that way. Place your cursor (don't click!!) on any balloon, and the college will appear.

http://batchgeo.com/map/c0e81f035bb980370884a6157e67ed9a

Last edited:
Selfishly I am really hoping for a Pittsburgh year.

I am interested in how Cleveland will do as its also an easy to reach destination. The blocks immediately surrounding the Q have a lot of food/drink options all within a 5-10 min walk to the arena. I was pleasantly surprised with the area when I was there.

I would think Charlotte would be a good destination as the Arena is in Uptown with a bunch of food/drink close by and I assume flight options are pretty good from both the East Coast and Midwest. It could also help give the sport some southern exposure.

If heading out West, I would think somewhere in the Bay area, would be good with multiple schools within a relatively short distance.

Not sure about hotel options in either Cleveland or Charlotte though.

Last edited:
Reactions: scottcooperpsu
I hate to be a Debbie Downer here but whenever this discussion comes up I always feel compelled to point out that discussing the pros and cons of possible NCAA sites that have not bid on hosting is kind of a waste of time since any city that doesn't bid is NOT going to host NCAAs. Hence, as Roar originally posted we can check the papers to see which cities have bid. I don't see any evidence that Dallas, Charlotte, ANY west coast city, etc. have any interest in bidding on being the host city for NCAAs.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer here but whenever this discussion comes up I always feel compelled to point out that discussing the pros and cons of possible NCAA sites that have not bid on hosting is kind of a waste of time since any city that doesn't bid is NOT going to host NCAAs. Hence, as Roar originally posted we can check the papers to see which cities have bid. I don't see any evidence that Dallas, Charlotte, ANY west coast city, etc. have any interest in bidding on being the host city for NCAAs.

Good point. I would be interested in how actively this process is put out to city's and their respective chambers of commerce. For instance does Dallas/Ft. Worth even know they could bid on this? I ask because I really don't know how the process works and how actively they float this opportunity out to large city's and places they would like to grow the audience....

It's a message board NoVa, which means by definition we are already wasting our time. :)

California and Texas would be great places to hold NCAA's if growing wresting is really the #1 goal.

California and Texas would be great places to hold NCAA's if growing wresting is really the #1 goal.

Which is why I keep bringing this up. Growing wrestling is not only NOT the #1 goal of the NCAA, IMHO it is not a goal at all. All they care about is maximizing the amount of money they make from the NCAA championships.

I believe the NCAA has set this coming Monday, June 6th, as the date they will accept city bids to host the NCAA Championships for the next 4-year cycle. Four years ago, some (but not all) of the cities published their intent in local and national newspapers, so keep your eyes peeled for any news on interested cities.

Will St. Louis host 2 of the 4 years?
Will New York City go after another?
Will Pittsburgh and Philadelphia both bid, as they did in 2012?
Phila was a great place...Hope they go really hard after it !!!! Pitts would be good too !

Good point. I would be interested in how actively this process is put out to city's and their respective chambers of commerce. For instance does Dallas/Ft. Worth even know they could bid on this? I ask because I really don't know how the process works and how actively they float this opportunity out to large city's and places they would like to grow the audience....

It's not "put out" to cities at all. With 83 of the 90 NCAA Championships up for bid (D1 Wrestling being one), this is HUGE, and cities know. There are over 400 sites to award, so bids will be in the thousands. The process for this 4-year cycle is as follows;

Feb. 1, 2016: Bid specs published by NCAA, available for cities to review
May 4, 2016: Host symposium in Indianapolis, IN
June 6, 2016: Bid portal opens
June 27, 2016: Bid intentions due (Cities say "I'm interested"!!)
August 12, 2016: Bids due (i.e. end of bidding)
Sept./Oct./Nov.: NCAA reviews all bids (83 Championships, 4 years!!)
December, 2016: NCAA Announces Sites (all 4 years worth)

Here's the 7 sports that are NOT up for bids;
1. Men’s College World Series (longer term agreement with Omaha, Nebraska)
2. Women’s College World Series (longer term agreement with Oklahoma City)
3. DIII Women’s Ice Hockey (non-predetermined championship)
4/5. DI M/W Outdoor Track and Field (extended agreement with University of Oregon)
6. DI Women’s Basketball
7. DI FCS Football Championship (extended agreement with Frisco, Texas)

Last edited:
It's not "put out" to cities at all. With 83 of the 90 NCAA Championships up for bid (D1 Wrestling being one), this is HUGE, and cities know. There are 600 sites to award, so bids will be in the thousands. The process for this 4-year cycle is as follows;

Feb. 1, 2016: Bid specs published by NCAA, available for cities to review
May 4, 2016: Host symposium in Indianapolis, IN
June 6, 2016: Bid portal opens
June 27, 2016: Bid interests due (Cities say "I'm interested"!!)
August 12, 2016: Bids due (i.e. end of bidding)
Sept./Oct./Nov.: NCAA reviews all bids (83 Championships!!)
December, 2016: NCAA Announces Sites (4 years worth)
Not listed: market shaping activities by the potential bidders, to help draft requirements prior to 2/1 RFP.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I would love to see it back in New York or Philly! Last year was my first championships and I can't wait to see another!

I would love to see it back in New York or Philly! Last year was my first championships and I can't wait to see another!
I hope you get your wish. St. Louis isn't terribly far, and Cleveland is less than 250 miles from State College...depends where you live, I guess.

Last edited:
I hope you get your wish. St. Louis isn't terribly far, and Cleveland is less than 250 miles from State College...depends where you live, I guess.

I live just outside of Binghamton NY, NYC and Philly are the two closest and most affordable for me. I'd give Cleveland a long hard look too.

No inside info, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Greensboro, NC give this a shot. They've got the facility, the local infrastructure, and the experience in hosting big events. Maybe the relative ascendancy of ACC wrestling (esp. NC State) will give them the final impetus to bid.

One thing I just (in reading this thread) found out: Division III women's ice hockey's final four site isn't determined until after the Elite Eight games are played!

No inside info, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Greensboro, NC give this a shot. They've got the facility, the local infrastructure, and the experience in hosting big events. Maybe the relative ascendancy of ACC wrestling (esp. NC State) will give them the final impetus to bid.

Greensboro would be a great location, but I doubt they bid on it unless someone (like you royboy) point out the obvious benefits of having 20K+ people come to town for 5 days. :D

Easy trip for me and a much shorter trip for the PSUWC bus trip that any Midwest site.

Greensboro would be a great location, but I doubt they bid on it unless someone (like you royboy) point out the obvious benefits of having 20K+ people come to town for 5 days. :D

Easy trip for me and a much shorter trip for the PSUWC bus trip that any Midwest site.
Exactly. My only purpose in this thread is to get nationals closer to my back yard, and if that means speed dialing tomorrow, so be it. ;)

Charlotte would be a great spot.
Davidson is up the road then you have close by
Nc st
Unc
Duke
Campbell
Garner webb
App st
Citadel
Newberry
Unc pembroke

I live just outside of Binghamton NY, NYC and Philly are the two closest and most affordable for me. I'd give Cleveland a long hard look too.
If you can swing it, Cleveland in 2018 has potential!! Long ways off, given all that can happen (and setting aside my normal resistance to talk too much into the future), but our 2017-18 team looks like it could be among our best ever. Not one to normally talk in superlatives, however we may only have one senior on this year's team, and be loaded the following year. Saying that...let's enjoy 2016-17!!

Reactions: burnsie1983
If you can swing it, Cleveland in 2018 has potential!! Long ways off, given all that can happen (and setting aside my normal resistance to talk too much into the future), but our 2017-18 team looks like it could be among our best ever. Not one to normally talk in superlatives, however we may only have one senior on this year's team, and be loaded the following year. Saying that...let's enjoy 2016-17!!
I'm planning on being in Cleveland, short drive from Pittsburgh.

On the job.

Greensboro is interested and trying to get it.

I'd give you ten likes if I could.
Sorry it turned out so HUGE...
10likes.jpg

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT