ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Cracks Down On New Harbaugh Scam

Crimson Lights

May 29, 2001
scUM is holding its spring practices at IMG Academy, where the 18 Division 1 FBS prospects including 10 Rivals 100 members and the nation's top prospect can view the Wolverines' roster and staff in action. Of course, Michigan is not allowed to recruit the lads while in a satellite camp, but if a kid happens to bump into a coach or alum, well .....

So the NCAA has ruled that satellite camps will no longer be allowed. Too bad; conferences outside the power 5 will no longer be able to scout kids at, say, Northwestern's satellite camp. Too bad for CJF; rumor has it that he was planning to hold 2017 spring practice in Detroit where Cass Tech and MLK players could watch the Lions. And in 2018 Penn State would hold its spring practices at IMG Academy.

And that holding spring practice off campus is a separate issue which the NCAA has yet to address.

It is funny on how quickly they acted on satellite camps and yet apparently didn't address the spring practice in another state nonsense.

Even more laughable is the light speed they acted on satellite camps and the years it takes (if even then) for them to act on academic scandals and academic fraud.

And that holding spring practice off campus is a separate issue which the NCAA has yet to address.
Not true; according to Harbaugh it is covered in a separate clause, which is why he won't be holding it at IMG Academy. Harbaugh said that you can hold spring practice off campus, but not at another campus -- college, JUCO, HS, or prep. So Michigan could rent the Rose Bowl since it is not on any campus or owned by another college. Same thing for the LA Coliseum, but that is trickier because a USC LLC owns it, but it is not on the USC campus, so UM could hold spring practices there. The Cotton Bowl in Dallas is another one, as is the old Orange Bowl now that Miami has moved to another stadium. All these are not homes to high schools or on their campuses.

It is obvious from the ignorance of the repliers that this subject needed to be discussed again.

Not true; according to Harbaugh it is covered in a separate clause, which is why he won't be holding it at IMG Academy. Harbaugh said that you can hold spring practice off campus, but not at another campus -- college, JUCO, HS, or prep. So Michigan could rent the Rose Bowl since it is not on any campus or owned by another college. Same thing for the LA Coliseum, but that is trickier because a USC LLC owns it, but it is not on the USC campus, so UM could hold spring practices there. The Cotton Bowl in Dallas is another one, as is the old Orange Bowl now that Miami has moved to another stadium. All these are not homes to high schools or on their campuses.

It is obvious from the ignorance of the repliers that this subject needed to be discussed again.
if that's all true, why not just have it at say the Dolphins, Tampa etc training facilities?

If you hold practice at another campus it becomes a satellite camp, per JH, much like Franklin held one at Georgia State in Atlanta IIRC, either that or in Florida near his vacation house.

That's the first I've heard about the spring practice nonsense. I don't follow Harbaugh or Michigan so hadn't seen any discussion on that. The article I saw a few days ago only mentioned coaches attending satellite camps but, if true, I'm glad they addressed both.

Ironically I see the FSU spring game was held in Orlando some 4 (?) hours from the FSU campus. I don't think any colleges or local high schools use that as a home field anymore.

if that's all true, why not just have it at say the Dolphins, Tampa etc training facilities?
You certainly could do that or at the Novacare facility in Philly. No problem as long as they are not on another school's campus. That's probably what Artie boy meant by saying that the NCAA had not addressed the off campus issue (but UCLA and USC really have no on-campus facilities, although IIRC they both have Holuba Hall-like facilities. Space is a premium in LA).

That's the first I've heard about the spring practice nonsense. I don't follow Harbaugh or Michigan so hadn't seen any discussion on that. The article I saw a few days ago only mentioned coaches attending satellite camps but, if true, I'm glad they addressed both.

Ironically I see the FSU spring game was held in Orlando some 4 (?) hours from the FSU campus. I don't think any colleges or local high schools use that as a home field anymore.
All true. No problem there. It's not on the Central Florida campus.

All true. No problem there. It's not on the Central Florida campus.

So what's the policy on something like the Linc or Heinz? They both are pro stadia but are also the off campus (rented) homes to Temple and Pitt. With this ruling could PSU hold practice there or not?

I assume this would even rule out Hersheypark stadium as I think Hershey/ Milton Hershey (1 or both) hold their games there.

If you hold practice at another campus it becomes a satellite camp, per JH, much like Franklin held one at Georgia State in Atlanta IIRC, either that or in Florida near his vacation house.

You wanna get a citation on that, douchenozzle? A "practice" is where members of the (college) team perform. A "camp" is where recruits perform. There is no record of Harbaugh or other Michigan coaches observing members of IMG's football team or others going through drills, etc.

It is funny on how quickly they acted on satellite camps and yet apparently didn't address the spring practice in another state nonsense.

Even more laughable is the light speed they acted on satellite camps and the years it takes (if even then) for them to act on academic scandals and academic fraud.

Wasn't that quick. Satellite camps have been going on for a while. Major push to ban them came from the ACC after last (2015) summer's "Summer Swarm" when Harbaugh & Co. took in about eleven camps.

Wasn't that quick. Satellite camps have been going on for a while. Major push to ban them came from the ACC after last (2015) summer's "Summer Swarm" when Harbaugh & Co. took in about eleven camps.

Quick in the sense that it was last year when the ACC and SEC started their bitch fest and public whining. Suddenly, it's changed for this year. For the NCAA, that's light speed. ;)

Quick in the sense that it was last year when the ACC and SEC started their bitch fest and public whining. Suddenly, it's changed for this year. For the NCAA, that's light speed. ;)

True that. No one made an issue of it until the "Summer Swarm," but you're right, a year is a sudden reaction in NCAA terms. Not sure how long it will take them to digest holding practice at IMG. Keep in mind that years ago, Pitt was staging it's equivalent of Blue-White at local HSs. Anyone say anything then?

True that. No one made an issue of it until the "Summer Swarm," but you're right, a year is a sudden reaction in NCAA terms. Not sure how long it will take them to digest holding practice at IMG. Keep in mind that years ago, Pitt was staging it's equivalent of Blue-White at local HSs. Anyone say anything then?

Good point. I guess this puts Pitt back into Heinz for the spring game (if they even have one).

I guess I should corner the market on sales of sunglasses outside Heinz. The folks there that day are going to need something to block the glare from the bright yellow seats. ;)

Good point. I guess this puts Pitt back into Heinz for the spring game (if they even have one).

I guess I should corner the market on sales of sunglasses outside Heinz. The folks there that day are going to need something to block the glare from the bright yellow seats. ;)

No, Pitt made the decision to move the game back to Heinz well before this ruling. They played at Highmark last year because of construction at Heinz.

Again, there is nothing in the recent NCAA ruling about where a team can practice, which includes a spring game. Don't be surprised if Harbaugh doesn't hold off-season conditioning in some exotic location.

I would love to see a team use the old Orange Bowl. It was torn down quite a while ago.

Link?

So.......HAS anyone ever seen "Crimson" and "21 Guns" together?

If they are NOT the same person.....the joint effect of both of them in the same zip code could bring about a Black Hole of Idiocy - from which, all rational thought and logic within a 500 mile radius would be forever destroyed.

You certainly could do that or at the Novacare facility in Philly. No problem as long as they are not on another school's campus. That's probably what Artie boy meant by saying that the NCAA had not addressed the off campus issue (but UCLA and USC really have no on-campus facilities, although IIRC they both have Holuba Hall-like facilities. Space is a premium in LA).
So, Penn State can hold practices at Heinz Field? That would be interesting.

Do you just make this shit up? The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is owned by the City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, and the State of California. USC leases it and is responsible for operations and management.

USC LLC is a seed company in Kansas.

scUM is holding its spring practices at IMG Academy, where the 18 Division 1 FBS prospects including 10 Rivals 100 members and the nation's top prospect can view the Wolverines' roster and staff in action. Of course, Michigan is not allowed to recruit the lads while in a satellite camp, but if a kid happens to bump into a coach or alum, well .....

So the NCAA has ruled that satellite camps will no longer be allowed. Too bad; conferences outside the power 5 will no longer be able to scout kids at, say, Northwestern's satellite camp. Too bad for CJF; rumor has it that he was planning to hold 2017 spring practice in Detroit where Cass Tech and MLK players could watch the Lions. And in 2018 Penn State would hold its spring practices at IMG Academy.

You ought to go back and answer your critics regarding your predictions and PSU recruits! Start with that Adams kid.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT