Joey Schlaffer #18
Mathias Barnwell #85
Jven Williams #70
Alex Birchmeier #63
Anthony Donkoh #68
Zion Tracy #12
Lamont Payne #27
Elliott Washington #16
So which are QBs? Hate that you can’t tell squat by numbers any more.

Hoping at least one freshman QB is an early enrollee as we are really thin at QB. Having a freshman or two in spring camp just might be very important should there injuries at that position.

I hope Evans can live up to the #5 number. I really like him as a candidate for a breakout WR next year. Solid PT in year one...and with more reps, I'm hoping he can be a serious threat. IMO, his emergence and that of Kaden Saunders will be the difference between a lights-out passing game and a good passing game next season.

And some number changes for some returning players:

S Jaylen Reed: 1 (previously 7)
WR Liam Clifford: 2 (82)
WR Omari Evans: 5 (18)
LB Jackson Pryts: 45 (42)
OL Caedan Wallace: 73 (79)
OL Sam Siafa: 88 (76)
Sam Siafa 88? Moving to TE or should that be 78?

New uniform numbers for the Penn State's early enrollees

QB Jaxon Smolik #14
TE Joey Schlaffer #18
TE Mathias Barnwell #85
OL Jven Williams #70
OL Alex Birchmeier #63
OL Anthony Donkoh #68
LB Tony Rojas #13
LB TaMere Robinson #24
DB Zion Tracy #12
DB Lamont Payne #27
DB Elliott Washington #16
Out of eleven players, five of them have numbers in the 10-19 grouping. One QB, one TE, one LB, two DBs.

Can anyone explain the madness? Used to be easy to know what position a guy played by looking at his number. And how do refs keep track of who are eligible receives and who are not?

Out of eleven players, five of them have numbers in the 10-19 grouping. One QB, one TE, one LB, two DBs.

Can anyone explain the madness? Used to be easy to know what position a guy played by looking at his number. And how do refs keep track of who are eligible receives and who are not?
Eligible or not is based on the formation and advising the ref, but yeah, the numbering is an issue.

Side note: I played RB and wore number 9 but I was also our long snapper on 4th downs. So I wore a 53 jersey under my primary jersey and my teammates had to pull it over my pads on 4th down. We didn’t punt a lot, but one time I was way downfield on third down and by the time we huddled there was no time for the jersey swap so I snapped the ball wearing my primary jersey. Best punt our punter had the whole season and we were penalized for improper number in the middle of the line.

Thanks, helps a lot. One freshman QB, hope is a quick study as we are thin there. Having him here all spring will help,his development a lot. He may be needed at some point in the fall.
Serious question, not being mean.....do you really need the players positions to know who they are?

some kids actually pick schools based on the numbers they can wear. Basically you can wear any number except 50-79 as a non lineman. OL must be between the 50-79 but DL can be any numbers

Eligible or not is based on the formation and advising the ref, but yeah, the numbering is an issue.

Side note: I played RB and wore number 9 but I was also our long snapper on 4th downs. So I wore a 53 jersey under my primary jersey and my teammates had to pull it over my pads on 4th down. We didn’t punt a lot, but one time I was way downfield on third down and by the time we huddled there was no time for the jersey swap so I snapped the ball wearing my primary jersey. Best punt our punter had the whole season and we were penalized for improper number in the middle of the line.
Having numbers by position would make it much easier for the referines to know who is eligible and who isn’t… especially with all the presnap shifts going on.

Interesting. I follow a lot of your posts and I guess I never realized they were more current team rather than recruiting. Learn something new every day!!
Recruiting drives me nuts. Tons of hype on a lot of high school kids that never commit. Then more that do commit but don’t succeed for a number of reasons including many out of their control. Takes too much time to follow it all.

Besides I have always been terrible with names. One of my many faults.

Reactions: Texas Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT