ADVERTISEMENT

News & Notes: Coaching rumors & 2021 recruiting

Ryan Snyder/BWI Staff

Aug 11, 2010
- We spent the day reaching out to multiple sources to address the coaching rumors. I've been told by multiple people now that Tyler Bowen is expected to leave Penn State. I'm being told that it's to take a job in the NFL, and I'm under the impression that it'll be the Jacksonville Jaguars, although I haven't confirmed his destination with multiple sources. Either way, I'm expecting James Franklin to have to find a new tight ends coach in the coming weeks. I'd be surprised if former Penn State tight end and current Arizona State assistant Adam Breneman isn't linked with this opening at some point, but I don't have anything confirmed in regards to potential replacements.

- Fortunately for Penn State, all of its offensive players have signed already and they're not in the mix with any tight ends or players that Bowen is recruiting hard leading up to National Signing Day, so I don't see this having a big impact on the current class. I will say that I'm very curious to see the impact it has on Holden Staes and Jerry Cross, and to a lesser extent, Beau Pribula. I believe Iowa, Iowa State and Wisconsin were the only schools Cross visited ahead of his commitment, while Staes only saw Penn State Oklahoma and Michigan before he ended it. Both of those guys made sense when it comes to visits down the road, and now this may give them more of a reason to look around at some point. That's just speculation on my behalf. I'll reach out to both when this is officially announced. Pribula grew up a Penn State fan, so I don't see him decommitting next week, but his two lead recruiters were Ciarrocca and Bowen.

- I'm under the impression that Penn State is focused on Davon Townley and Austin Uke with just over 24 hours until NSD. Josh Helmholdt made a post about Townley this afternoon. If you missed that, click here. I spoke with another Penn State source who said they believe Townley is leaning towards the Lions at this stage. I've now had two people tell me in that in the past few days, but personally, I won't be putting in any picks for Townley. All of my info is coming from sources. Without speaking with the player or his family, it's hard to feel confident one way or the other. One of those sources said that Townley's family was supposed to be getting together tonight to discuss this decision, so I will reach out to people again tomorrow to try and feel for whether he's actually decided or not.

- As for Uke, I was told today that Penn State is among his top remaining schools, although they're likely behind Texas and Stanford. My source thought that Stanford's academic standing may give them the edge in the end. We can't completely rule out Uke at this stage, but it feels unlikely. CJ Johnson appears to be leaning towards Northwestern and WR Jordan Mosley committed to the Wildcats this past weekend. Penn State decided to pass on Mosley.

- I also confirmed today that Penn State is making a hard push for former Clemson LB Mike Jones Jr. We knew they were going to show interest, but I'm now under the impression that he has an offer from Penn State and they plan to go all out to add him. I'm still trying to get a better feel for the competition, however. A bunch of schools have reached out. He's one of the top 10 or so prospects that's entered the portal this year, so he has a lot of options.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News