ADVERTISEMENT

Next National Champ.

If we go 11-1 it's possible, not a guarantee that we'd be seeded higher than 11-2 Ohio State or an 11-2 Oregon.
#6 would play #3 but those are neutral site games (Sugar, Roses, Peach & Fiesta) Cotton & Orange host the semis
#6 won't be easy though that 11 seed could be scary
Could be a 3 loss Georgia at #11. Gulp. Could be a 1 loss Miami. Not bad. Could be Notre Dame. Not bad. Could be LSU or Ole Miss or Tennessee.

How could we get the 5th seed if we lose to OSU? I guess OSU loses to Michigan and we go to the CCG and lose. Highly unlikely scenario. Oregon loses at Michigan or Washington somehow beats them in Eugene then they lose again to OSU in CCG. Don't see that scenario materializing either.

If we are #6 would we play ACC champ in quarters? Maybe an undefeated Miami or one loss Clemson. Don't want to go to DV.
If we lose close to OSU, and then they get beat convincingly by Oregon in the CCG, then I could definitely see us at 11-1 being #5 and OSU at 11-2 being #6 or #7, depending on who else is worthy.

That said, I'm not sold on Oregon yet. OSU's first big test on the road in one of the top home venues in the country...and they just fell short. On a neutral field, I think OSU handles them.

Oregon has been quite average until the OSU game. Average, for a top 5 ranked team, I mean. Not dominant at all.

I would love OSU to lose at Michigan...and then we--whether we win or lose on Nov. 2--play 11-1 or 12-0 Oregon for the Big Ten title. I like our chances.

If we lose close to OSU, and then they get beat convincingly by Oregon in the CCG, then I could definitely see us at 11-1 being #5 and OSU at 11-2 being #6 or #7, depending on who else is worthy.

That said, I'm not sold on Oregon yet. OSU's first big test on the road in one of the top home venues in the country...and they just fell short. On a neutral field, I think OSU handles them.

Oregon has been quite average until the OSU game. Average, for a top 5 ranked team, I mean. Not dominant at all.

I would love OSU to lose at Michigan...and then we--whether we win or lose on Nov. 2--play 11-1 or 12-0 Oregon for the Big Ten title. I like our chances.
OSU is home vs Michigan and they will win that one. Heck, I think Michigan could lose to Illinois this week on the road, Indiana on the road, Oregon at home and OSU on the road. I hope that happens but they probably get one or two of those but still are staring at 4 losses.

OSU will beat Oregon in a rematch. Things could work out for us to be #5 but I think it is unlikely.

I find all this discussion of where all the lucky losers, you know the ones who didn't win there conference, get seeded for the national championship "playoff". It's just a nice, entertaining, money producing tournament.

Why should team A who beat team B to win there conference have to play and beat team B again?

I'll watch it and enjoy the games but I'll never think the lucky losers should ever get the opportunity to win a championship.

Case in point, the NY Mets this year who came in third but could advance to the WS. Not likely but possible they could beat LA who had the best record in the NL.

I find all this discussion of where all the lucky losers, you know the ones who didn't win there conference, get seeded for the national championship "playoff". It's just a nice, entertaining, money producing tournament.

Why should team A who beat team B to win there conference have to play and beat team B again?

I'll watch it and enjoy the games but I'll never think the lucky losers should ever get the opportunity to win a championship.

Case in point, the NY Mets this year who came in third but could advance to the WS. Not likely but possible they could beat LA who had the best record in the NL.
In no American sport is a team required to win a division or sport to make the playoff.
MLB is the only sport I'd ever get on-board with that because they play 162 games.
If it was just about winning a conference teams should join weaker conferences to make life easier. You're actually rewarding teams for playing weaker schedules
Also, one game means nothing. Say Oregon losses to Ohio State in the CCG. They split. Why would they be out?
I've yet to hear even a decent argument for only conference winners. I think it's just nonsense from people being angry an 11-1 Ohio State was correctly picked over us at 11-2.
One game doesn't prove a team is better. Oregon won by a point at home. A point at home. There's no definitive answer there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT