ADVERTISEMENT

Nice article discussing where Q.Martin might play at PSU.....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
The more I read about Martin and watch his video, the more I believe he could be a clone of Lewis Cine the former Georgia safety who was a first round draft pick of the Minnesota Vikings.

Unless Franklin fails miserably with his WR portal quest, I’d prefer to use Martin on defense. He would be dynamic against the run and the pass.

Reactions: GregInPitt
The more I read about Martin and watch his video, the more I believe he could be a clone of Lewis Cine the former Georgia safety who was a first round draft pick of the Minnesota Vikings.

Unless Franklin fails miserably with his WR portal quest, I’d prefer to use Martin on defense. He would be dynamic against the run and the pass.
Gotta think about Rojas who was a dynamic RB in high school. Martin looks bigger than Rojas when Rojas showed up at PSU and looks to have at least as big of a frame. Martin surely looks like a great prospect for Safety, but could easily look like a LB by the time Spring practice concludes. I'm assuming he's enrolling in January which I seem to have read somewhere...... He looks like he could easily play at 230lb+ and be a thumper at Will.

Would also be a luxury to have a big super-fast Safety on the field, which we seem to have in Winston. But Martin seems thicker and stronger than Winston, not to hit on Winston as he is a super star in the making and played at an All B10 level this season.

Will be fun to see where the staff starts Martin this Spring and where he plays in the B/W game. Seems like he could play RB, WR, S or LB. Wherever he ends up he should be a physical player.

Last edited:
Reactions: blair10
Possibly #1 recruit in PA, Quinton Martin of Belle Vernon gets a shot at WR?

Martin is big, fast, and versatile; he's been a running back, a receiver, and a standout defensive back; here is his recruiting profile:

And a writeup from his most recent game, last of the regular season before WPIAL 3-A playoffs

Belle Vernon locks up conference title with win vs. Elizabeth Forward​

With his future coach in attendance, Belle Vernon’s Quinton Martin could see a position change when he heads to Happy Valley next season.

Martin scored four touchdowns in three different ways
, helping the Leopards win a second Interstate Conference championship with a 49-28 victory over Elizabeth Forward on The Beach at James Weir Stadium.

Martin had receiving touchdowns of 84 and 44 yards, finishing with four catches for 166 yards. He added a 36-yard touchdown run and a late 11-yard interception return for the Leopards.

I did suggest WR. He does have the size and athletic ability to play as a freshman IMO. And Offense is the greater need currently, particularly Receiver.

I did suggest WR. He does have the size and athletic ability to play as a freshman IMO. And Offense is the greater need currently, particularly Receiver.
Yep, but it might be like putting Parsons at RB. Could have been a decent RB, but better to have him as a game changeing LB.

Should be an interesting Spring as the two new coordinators try and get him on their side of the ball.......

Reactions: LMTLION and blair10
Our biggest need is WR. I would love to see him there and challenge for a starting role next season.

Reactions: voltz99
Yep, but it might be like putting Parsons at RB. Could have been a decent RB, but better to have him as a game changeing LB.

Should be an interesting Spring as the two new coordinators try and get him on their side of the ball.......

You used a good example with Parsons.

Another similar situation existed many years ago with LaVar Arrington. I watched Arrington play safety and running back in the Big 33 game. Arrington had slender legs and was very fast. He could have started his college career as a RB. Instead the coaching staff realized how much of a disruptive force Arrington could be on defense.

It wasn't terribly unusual for a player to have position changes, including which side of the ball, during their careers when Joe was coaching. Gary Brown comes to mind.

Don't see much of it these days.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Wherever he is gonna play, you have to imagine it has already be determined. Kid aint coming here to play a position he doesn't want to play. Team player or not.

Another similar situation existed many years ago with LaVar Arrington. I watched Arrington play safety and running back in the Big 33 game. Arrington had slender legs and was very fast. He could have started his college career as a RB. Instead the coaching staff realized how much of a disruptive force Arrington could be on defense.
Yep, I saw Arrington play against Mt. Lebanon when he was a freshman or soph, can't remember which. And he was lightning in a bottle as a RB then.......

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It wasn't terribly unusual for a player to have position changes, including which side of the ball, during their careers when Joe was coaching. Gary Brown comes to mind.

Joe did it a lot…Enis, Scioli, Deon Butler, Shelly Hammonds, etc.

Reactions: psualt
Joe did it a lot…Enis, Scioli, Deon Butler, Shelly Hammonds, etc.

Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t. The Brandon Snow move from fullback to linebacker was a disaster. Levi Brown moving from DT to OT was a great move.

Lastly, I saw Jon Gerak play fullback before being moved to TE.

Last edited:

Cappeletti

It is a flawed example. Parsons is actually more disruptive at DE. He is an NFL pro bowl DE. He played lb because psu needed him at lb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT