ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Nick Lee named new Assistant Coach

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
(Mod - this topic worthy of it's own thread)

Welcome aboard Nick Lee to the staff. Wonder if he would still be able to compete senior level being a full time assistant. Regardless what a great replacement

Last edited by a moderator:
if lee is retiring that is very interesting. Who is the new guy at 65 for USA? Alirez? Yianni? Mendez? McKenna? Vito???

Isnt Blaze an Indiana kid?🤔🤔😉
Chess Boardgames GIF by NETFLIX

Love the hire. The tic for tac/headline offer would have been to offer Coleman Scott with everything. Keep it in house, no drama or sharing of secret sauce. Penn State way. In retrospect, hiring DT’s buddy on staff may have been a misstep.

We have a guy in our room that's pretty good at FS and is 65kg. Don't see him particularly far behind any of those names you mentioned and he's in the best room in the country. I guess we'll see next year.
I’m pretty excited to see the Beau/Jesse rematch next year, Alirez is rumored to be going up to 49 so we won’t get to see how that top 3 would shake out.

Reactions: hlstone
This is a fantastic hire, Nick is a technical master and extremely well spoken. He's always been about the team first. Cael couldn't have sounded more confident about the hire on the podcast and even stressed Nick is there to bring new ideas as "the young guy" and not just there to take orders from the 3 C's

Last edited:
Congrats to N Lee!

N Lee replacing A Kennedy is a net gain for the program IMO.

WE ARE!!! 🦁
Why? I'm being serious. I know Nick but why is he a net gain? I'd love for that to be the case but just want the skinny on him since graduating.

Why? I'm being serious. I know Nick but why is he a net gain? I'd love for that to be the case but just want the skinny on him since graduating.
My reasons: Nick had a superior college career by far. He exemplifies what you want in a wrestler, combining technique, incredible work ethic, and a bottomless gas tank. If he can convey these attributes to his wrestlers, he is a net gain, IMO.

My reasons: Nick had a superior college career by far. He exemplifies what you want in a wrestler, combining technique, incredible work ethic, and a bottomless gas tank. If he can convey these attributes to his wrestlers, he is a net gain, IMO.
Also very versatile - great leg attacker and very good upper body. He’s got a great set of varied skills

It won't be on Day 1 -- coaches have other responsibilities beyond teaching technique on the mat. Kennedy has 6 years of experience in that stuff.

But Nick is perfectly capable of learning that stuff quickly. Just a matter of time.

It won't be on Day 1 -- coaches have other responsibilities beyond teaching technique on the mat. Kennedy has 6 years of experience in that stuff.

But Nick is perfectly capable of learning that stuff quickly. Just a matter of time.
Nick definitely will need some practice being a cornerman, who knows maybe he's a natural and will pick it up very fast. We saw first hand there are levels to that as NLWC threw some bad bricks at OTT and no coincidence, they all came when Casey wasn't in the corner. Similarly, I personally think Nick has the chops of being a great recruiter (and obviously PSU sells itself and we send Cael for the biggest names) but relating to high schoolers will take some practice as well as Nick is super mature and joked he didn't get the full high school experience since he skipped senior year. But in terms of in room coaching, scouting and commanding respect, Nick is 10/10 there already and has credibility in the room.

Administrative stuff, not sure how much Nick needs to do. I know Cael has Cody handle the bulk of the coaching side but also obviously his Direct of Ops (Adam Lynch) is essential.

Great Choice!!! But, at the post-season luncheon, didn't Cael say that Joe (or Matt?) was his favorite "Lee" ... GIA is always claiming the Cael recruits over other team members, so he obviously "recruited over" both Joe and Matt in his search for a new coach...

The last question that Byers asked Cael on his podcast revealed that Nick is the choice to fill the gap left by Kennedy's following David Taylor to OSU. Cael said that Nick would be a great help and is happy to work with all the great recruits. It will take a bit of time to complete all the paperwork. He will work with the 5 lower weights, but all the coaches work in helping all the team members. The 28 minute podcast is well worth the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT