ADVERTISEMENT

Nickal v Bo Jordan

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
so why the consensus on other boards that if Jordan stayed at 174 he'd dominate his way to a title over Nickal and others?

I think Bo's length would give Bo Jordan all kinds of trouble especially given Jordan's issues on bottom.

I could foresee a Q-Kilgore type bout

so why the consensus on other boards that if Jordan stayed at 174 he'd dominate his way to a title over Nickal and others?

I think Bo's length would give Bo Jordan all kinds of trouble especially given Jordan's issues on bottom.

Is length looked at as more of an advantage in wrestling or is it more of a styles matchup?

When Ed Ruth was a freshman, most were certain the kid from Cornell (who had not been taken down the previous season, at least until the NCAA finals) was way too much for Ed. People were certain of it.
Jordan is pretty darn good. At 165 Bo Jordan is a dominant beast right up until he wrestles Dieringer who is better.

People know what they believe they know, right up to the moment someone shows them they were wrong. Bo Jordan is a dominant beast at 174, right up until he wrestles someone better. Until proven otherwise, I believe that moment for Bo Jordan would be when he wrestled Bo Nickal. Other folks just happen to believe otherwise.

I thought Jordan was probably better than Nickal. Then I saw the Scuffle this past week. I'm not counting Bo out against anyone!

I thought Jordan was probably better than Nickal. Then I saw the Scuffle this past week. I'm not counting Bo out against anyone!
Bo Jordan has a better chance of beating Dieringer at 165 than he does of beating Bo Nickal at 174. If Jordan wants a national title, he probably needs to win at 165 this year.

Bo Jordan has a better chance of beating Dieringer at 165 than he does of beating Bo Nickal at 174. If Jordan wants a national title, he probably needs to win at 165 this year.
That's a bit far. Dieringer is the best wrestler in the country, and dominated Jordan 6-1 at nationals last year.

Reactions: Maddog and fronk71
That's a bit far. Dieringer is the best wrestler in the country, and dominated Jordan 6-1 at nationals last year.

No one is touching Dieringer. Jordan isn't going down for the matchup, he's going down because four titles isn't happening and he wants to glory of beating the best P4P in the country. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen, but give credit for trying. The only dude who would could come closer is IMar and I'm not betting against Dieringer there either. Maybe if Burroughs suited up for Nebraska then yeah, ok there's a loss.

He will probably beat him with similar ease this year.
Whether my stated comparison is a bit far or not, it illustrated my point perfectly. Bo aint't beating Alex, nor is he winning if he would choose to bump back up. How Penn State fills out a lineup during the next couple seasons (using the world domination plan as a baseline), Bo is more than likely going to find some very talented kids wearing blue and white singlets standing in the middle of his path to a title.

My answer is I don't know, but gut impression and opinion is I believe Bo is a tad better. Certainly the separation between the two is minimal.

Thanks, it must be incredibly tough for both to have to compete at the same weight yet again.

I think Bo Nickal is gifted. As in exceptionally DT/Ruthesque gifted. He certainly has some Q traits. Also see some DT like mat awareness, and maybe some Ruth like freaky athletic ability. The way he horsed the highly ranked VT kid around (the one who looked way stronger) was very telling. He's just backed up that initial impression since then. Seems like he's often a couple moves ahead of his opponent as well.
Jordan is a great wrestler, but my money would be on Nickal. I guess Ringer is Jordan's Shute. And he wants to drop down to beat Shute. I think the real question is, does his girlfriend look like Linda Fiorentino.

Reactions: tikk10
I wonder how much Jordan wants to face Ringer, vs. how much he's been told he wants to face Ringer. Whatever chances Ohio State has at a national title evaporate with BoJo at 174 -- either they don't qualify a 165, or Ryan moves up from 157, and then they don't qualify anyone there.

Reactions: Maddog
Just for purpose of discussion...what if OH ST moved Jordan up to meet Nickal for our dual. Who would wrestle 165 for them?

Just for purpose of discussion...what if OH ST moved Jordan up to meet Nickal for our dual. Who would wrestle 165 for them?
Kresevic and he would get demolished makes no sense from a team standpoint to make that move

When Ed Ruth was a freshman, most were certain the kid from Cornell (who had not been taken down the previous season, at least until the NCAA finals) was way too much for Ed. People were certain of it.
Jordan is pretty darn good. At 165 Bo Jordan is a dominant beast right up until he wrestles Dieringer who is better.

People know what they believe they know, right up to the moment someone shows them they were wrong. Bo Jordan is a dominant beast at 174, right up until he wrestles someone better. Until proven otherwise, I believe that moment for Bo Jordan would be when he wrestled Bo Nickal. Other folks just happen to believe otherwise.

Well said, although it was hard to believe what we were seeing when Ruth manhandled Lewnes as a frosh at the Scuffle.

Well said, although it was hard to believe what we were seeing when Ruth manhandled Lewnes as a frosh at the Scuffle.
Ed had four take downs in that match and made Mack Lewnes seem ordinary... but in reality what we were seeing was the extraordinary athleticism of Ed Ruth rise to the occasion. Ed was money... in big matches. He knew Lewnes hadn't been taken down and made it seem routine. Ed "Money"... was a treat every time he stepped on the mat.

He then handled Mack Lewnes and Chris Heinrich from Virginia at Nationals coming back to take third after his knee completely locked up and had to be disengaged by a trainer. Ed was extremely athletic.... but also a warrior. Gutting out those big matches to come back from the devastating loss to Nick Amuchestagui was something to behold. I'll never forget that run after his loss.

I'll also never forget how badly Ed beat Amuchestagui in the NCAA finals the next year. I never read about him saying anything more than that he was looking forward to the rematch, but I'll bet he was thinking a lot more than that for a good part of the season.

Reactions: lionlover
And to think how many fans (anti PSU fans) were certain Amuchestagui indeed put a whooping on Ed because he was that much better!! :eek:

And to think how many fans (anti PSU fans) were certain Amuchestagui indeed put a whooping on Ed because he was that much better!! :eek:
BDB57... I can guarantee you 100% that was Ed's injury and that was as made up "wish" by those anti Penn State fans who wanted to see a dent in Penn States armor. And proved the next year when Ed majored Amuchestagui in the finals at the NCAA's and made it seem... routine.

I think Bo Nickal is gifted. As in exceptionally DT/Ruthesque gifted. He certainly has some Q traits. Also see some DT like mat awareness, and maybe some Ruth like freaky athletic ability. The way he horsed the highly ranked VT kid around (the one who looked way stronger) was very telling. He's just backed up that initial impression since then. Seems like he's often a couple moves ahead of his opponent as well.
Jordan is a great wrestler, but my money would be on Nickal. I guess Ringer is Jordan's Shute. And he wants to drop down to beat Shute. I think the real question is, does his girlfriend look like Linda Fiorentino.
"Lunatic fringe, I know you're out there..."

Nickal just beat true freshman Myles Martin 4-3 in a close, if not arguable controversial match and now he beats Bo easily... Got it.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Nickal just beat true freshman Myles Martin 4-3 in a close, if not arguable controversial match and now he beats Bo easily... Got it.
So who said the match was controversial - Ohio State fans and Greg Martin? Nickal won with Myles doing a fair share of stalling. Get over it.

And who said easily? Not me. Maybe 1 person on the thread. I'm questioning why a bunch of observers - and Buckeye fans almost to a man - think he would dominate everyone at 174. He'd better clean up his game on bottom before thinking of dominating.

He needs to focus on beating Ringer first.

So who said the match was controversial - Ohio State fans and Greg Martin? Nickal won with Myles doing a fair share of stalling. Get over it.

And who said easily? Not me. Maybe 1 person on the thread. I'm questioning why a bunch of observers - and Buckeye fans almost to a man - think he would dominate everyone at 174. He'd better clean up his game on bottom before thinking of dominating.

He needs to focus on beating Ringer first.
To be fair, Martin's father was plenty "arguable" afterward.

There wasn't any argument about Bo beating Myles, nor any controversy. Bo won 4 to 3.

Bo did not just beat Myles. He beat him a month ago. Bo did however just beat Realbuto and Ramos.

Not sure where you get anybody said it would be easy, other than where I said BJ has as much chance of beating Dieringer at '65 as he does of beating Bo Nickal at 174.
I suppose if you concede Dieringer will win with ease, then it would mean I am suggesting Nickal beats Jordan easily.

R u the poster who posted a month or so ago that Jordan was dominating '74 and Ringer was struggling at '65 and Jordan was going to own '65. Big fan I guess.

There wasn't any argument about Bo beating Myles, nor any controversy. Bo won 4 to 3.

Bo did not just beat Myles. He beat him a month ago. Bo did however just beat Realbuto and Ramos.

Not sure where you get anybody said it would be easy, other than where I said BJ has as much chance of beating Dieringer at '65 as he does of beating Bo Nickal at 174.
I suppose if you concede Dieringer will win with ease, then it would mean I am suggesting Nickal beats Jordan easily.

R u the poster who posted a month or so ago that Jordan was dominating '74 and Ringer was struggling at '65 and Jordan was going to own '65. Big fan I guess.
Buckeye fans are so used to getting calls rigged in their favor in football (e.g Hartsock bounce pass, the travesty last year, Bosa ripping Hack's helmet off right in front of the official and no flag), that fair officiating looks alien to them - like they're getting screwed.

Buckeye fans are so used to getting calls rigged in their favor in football (e.g Hartsock bounce pass, the travesty last year, Bosa ripping Hack's helmet off right in front of the official and no flag), that fair officiating looks alien to them - like they're getting screwed.
I just want to say. I liked this post.
Just side stepping from wrestling for a second. Do you know what would be the perfect Big-10 football championship trophy? Something big, bright somewhat vainglorious with on top a figurine of Woody taking a roundhouse swing at a Bo figurine chocking on a bowl of roses.

Uhh no... That would not have been me. I have like 10 posts on this wrestling forum, and that wasn't one of them. I like to read everyone's homerism, not spout mine. Carry on, good stuff.

Just side stepping from wrestling for a second. Do you know what would be the perfect Big-10 football championship trophy? Something big, bright somewhat vainglorious with on top a figurine of Woody taking a roundhouse swing at football player while choking another kid..

I fixed this for you!:)

Lionlover,
As nova noted, for it to be proper Big-10 attire one must offer humble homage to both OSU (Woody) and Michigan (Bo). You correctly got the Woody portion, but Bo choking on a Bowl full of Roses was in reference to the fact that from 1969 to 1993 no matter how good the Big-10 champ thought they were, a Rose Bowl loss was almost a guarantee.

Just side stepping from wrestling for a second. Do you know what would be the perfect Big-10 football championship trophy? Something big, bright somewhat vainglorious with on top a figurine of Woody taking a roundhouse swing at a Bo figurine chocking on a bowl of roses.
I've got to admit I'm a Woody fan. Larger than life, great coach, military history buff. Stayed too long and made a mistake, but a legend. I heard he took education very seriously too.

Schembechler's another story - glorified hard-ass gym teacher type and totally overrated as a game day coach.

Uhh no... That would not have been me. I have like 10 posts on this wrestling forum, and that wasn't one of them. I like to read everyone's homerism, not spout mine. Carry on, good stuff.
Homerism is always welcome here my man

koolaid-bursting-through-the-wall-1754_preview.jpg

I've got to admit I'm a Woody fan. Larger than life, great coach, military history buff. Stayed too long and made a mistake, but a legend. I heard he took education very seriously too.

Schembechler's another story - glorified hard-ass gym teacher type and totally overrated as a game day coach.
Never have had any animosity towards Woody. Woody, The Bear, Joe and even Bobby - college football has had some really great head coaching icons. That doesn't mean I feel bad about using a Woody moment to poke fun at our self-absorbed conference self-appointed elite duo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT