ADVERTISEMENT

NJ High School hoops controversy

I kept the Home book for Boys and Girls basketball for 15 years. I think that most fans would be surprised about how many errors are made every game between the Home/Visiting books and scoreboard. As stated- the actual score is the Home Book.

They key is constant communication and FIXING problems in real time and/or at the next stoppage.

Typically errors are player fouls, possession arrows and time outs. Never in my personal tenure was the score wrong, but we have had instances where the board showed a 3 and the refs had called a 2....which needed clarification and was changed.

An older gentleman who had kept the home and away book for 20+ years for an opposing conference school was maybe the best I've ever worked with. Very business like and serious. The Home Book keeper is considered a Game Official and wears a referee Jersey.

That gentleman resigned when only after reconciling his book after his team suffered a devasting home Overtime loss, did he realize he did not properly account for what he had as a Home basket in the 4th qtr which never made it to the scoreboard.

My wife accidentally closed a door or my writing hand a few years ago- and I was uncomfortable enough to give up the Book. I got move to Ticket Checker- which pays only $10 less but has ZERO stress....and you get a courtside seat to watch the game!

I'm sure those involved feel awful- society in general is much less forgiving about ANYTHING these days. The $ is not worth the aggravation....
I always had students who asked to be our scorekeeper. I never had one go in blind though, I always taught them what to do and to stop and ask the referee if they needed clarification. They too wore the referees shirt at the table here in MD.

One young lady who I had in both Honors Pre-calculus and AP stat as a sophomore asked to be a manager but she was exceptionally bright so I showed her how to do the book/table. It didnt take long before she was like an assistant coach. She would yell over how many fouls each person had, who had possession next JB, etc. By her senior year she was asked to be the home book for other various schools playoff games. On our senior night she went out with the team and we announced that she was going to Morgan State University in Baltimore to study engineering. One of the officials asked her if she was interested in working with the mens staff there and soon after Todd Bozeman called me to ask about her. She was a 3 year member of their scorers table (she graduated in 3 years) and got paid while doing it. She even got to work when MSU made it to the NCAA tournament and played Oklahoma, with Blake Griffin, in the first round.

I’d be very interested to know which one of those refs overturned the call.
I played in our league football championship. In an era where 95% of the plays were running game and the quarters were only 8 minutes long, we had 115 yards in penalties. This did not include a non-call play at the end of the first half where our WR was tackled when the ball was in the air and a ruling that a screen pass had hit the ground when we ran the ball down to the opponent's five-yard line in the final minute losing by one point. At one point, I heard the right-side linesman yelling "it's coming this way, boys" when we were on offense on a critical red-zone play. And I can cite 10 more examples.

To this day, I submit that this game was fixed. So I am very skeptical when refs make these kinds of egregious bad calls. Not only did the ball leave the player's hand with plenty of time left (enough for the ref to look at the clock) but to overturn the called play is just too much to believe it was a mistake.

To this day, I submit that this game was fixed. So I am very skeptical when refs make these kinds of egregious bad calls. Not only did the ball leave the player's hand with plenty of time left (enough for the ref to look at the clock) but to overturn the called play is just too much to believe it was a mistake.
Of course it was a mistake...and one that's probably impacting those guys ability to sleep at night. Humans make mistakes. It's kinda sad that so many think that they must have intentionally tried to get this call incorrect (and that attitude of so many is one of the contributing factors to the inability to keep sports officials and/or recruit new ones).

Reactions: marshall23
I've never been one to criticize officials ... it's an incredibly tough job, especially in a sport like basketball where there's so much going on, and so many potential calls to make at any one time ... and I hate the crutch of "the refs were against us" ... but at this point, the quality of officiating at the youth and high school levels has dropped so much, that we'd almost be better off playing playground "call your foul" hoops at times. Of course, that wouldn't work, either, because today, every kid yells "and 1" whenever they shoot.

One of many examples - last night my son wanted to go support buddies in an 8th grade playoff game ... these refs also ref high school ... it was just a hackfest ... no calls. Kids getting slapped to the ground, with audible skin contact ... no foul. Pulled down and pushed down from behind ... nothing. On two important occasions, late in the game, the one squad made a 3-pointer ... except on one occasion a foot was on/over the line, clear as day ... and the other occasion, the entire foot was over the line ... out in the open, unimpeded view. They called the 3. No sour grapes, as I didn't really have a rooting interest, and my kid's buddies' team ended up winning. But it was just brutal.

I see it in my son's games, too. I don't say anything, as it doesn't really matter (the games don't really matter, crying about it wouldn't change anything, regardless, and, of course, I'm trying to set an example of sportsmanship for my son and other boys/parents), but the quality has really dropped over the last few years. Both sides have to deal with it, and it's just a coin flip if your team will suffer more, or the other team will get the brunt of it that game. It used to be that you'd see a handful of calls missed during a game, and you were OK with that ... it's at least triple that now.

Of course it was a mistake...and one that's probably impacting those guys ability to sleep at night. Humans make mistakes. It's kinda sad that so many think that they must have intentionally tried to get this call incorrect (and that attitude of so many is one of the contributing factors to the inability to keep sports officials and/or recruit new ones).
do you know the guy? I am not so sure.

and to mistakes, there are innocent mistakes, there are inbuilt/unconscious biases and there are mistakes so bad they fall into the category of "negligence". there has to be accountability. How do we know this guy didn't have money on the game? Sunlight is the best disinfectant. The problem is these sports leagues want to operation behind closed doors while we all expend a lot of money and emotion. Screw that

If you feel bad for the ref, just imagine how it feels for hundreds of kids to have a championship opportunity stolen from you. If you think that would be the same for the other team, they'd have seen on the film that they legit lost so the it wasn't stolen from them.

I kept the Home book for Boys and Girls basketball for 15 years. I think that most fans would be surprised about how many errors are made every game between the Home/Visiting books and scoreboard. As stated- the actual score is the Home Book.

They key is constant communication and FIXING problems in real time and/or at the next stoppage.

Typically errors are player fouls, possession arrows and time outs. Never in my personal tenure was the score wrong, but we have had instances where the board showed a 3 and the refs had called a 2....which needed clarification and was changed.

An older gentleman who had kept the home and away book for 20+ years for an opposing conference school was maybe the best I've ever worked with. Very business like and serious. The Home Book keeper is considered a Game Official and wears a referee Jersey.

That gentleman resigned when only after reconciling his book after his team suffered a devasting home Overtime loss, did he realize he did not properly account for what he had as a Home basket in the 4th qtr which never made it to the scoreboard.

My wife accidentally closed a door or my writing hand a few years ago- and I was uncomfortable enough to give up the Book. I got move to Ticket Checker- which pays only $10 less but has ZERO stress....and you get a courtside seat to watch the game!

I'm sure those involved feel awful- society in general is much less forgiving about ANYTHING these days. The $ is not worth the aggravation....
We have lost the gene for empathy and also to a large degree respect. We see it today in our government and the only losers are those who think they are 100% right and anyone who disagrees is a fascist, communist or terrorist. It has led us down a dark alley where our choices are a dead man and a dangerous egomaniac. For the third consecutive presidential election, I will write my name in for president.
The same attitudes and behaviors are exhibited every afternoon and evening on our high school athletic courts and fields. The only saving grace is that most of the bad behavior belongs to adults. Coaches and officials threatened, adults walking onto the playing surface....meetings with the athletic director to insist junior gets more playing time to ensure his scholarship.
Yes times have changed. When I was in high school, my one asset was speed. As a result I was one of two always returning punts and kickoffs. I was never very good at catching punts and often begged the coaches to replace me. In 1967, my senior year, we were playing Lourdes in the old Coal Township stadium. I actually missed a punt that went through my arms and legs without touching me. The officials of course ruled it as a muff and Lourdes recovered. Luckily we held them scoreless. On my next opportunity the punt was a line drive and determined to make amends, I charged at the ball that bounced off my pads and to my relief rolled out of bounds. I immediately heard a familiar voice yelling "get him out of there!" It was the voice of my Dad.
Once I said something he deemed derogatory about my coach (it was Joe Sarra....Later of Penn State fame). I still don't remember what it was, and it couldn't have been much, because I absolutely worshipped Coach until the day he died. My Dad looked up from his dinner plate and said, "if playing football doesn't make you happy, you can come directly home after school and work for me." This country needs more guys like my Dad. These guys were WW2 combat vets and they didn't take anyone's shit, least of all from their kids. I'm an old man....but
this country is in trouble.

Reactions: Fac

and to mistakes, there are innocent mistakes, there are inbuilt/unconscious biases and there are mistakes so bad they fall into the category of "negligence". there has to be accountability. How do we know this guy didn't have money on the game? Sunlight is the best disinfectant. The problem is these sports leagues want to operation behind closed doors while we all expend a lot of money and emotion. Screw that

If you feel bad for the ref, just imagine how it feels for hundreds of kids to have a championship opportunity stolen from you. If you think that would be the same for the other team, they'd have seen on the film that they legit lost so the it wasn't stolen from them.
It's gonna be alright

It's gonna be alright
So the hundreds of poor kids that got ripped off last night are going to advance in the playoffs? Because, if not, the league did a lot of damage last night that won't be "alright".

So the hundreds of poor kids that got ripped off last night are going to advance in the playoffs? Because, if not, the league did a lot of damage last night that won't be "alright".
Last I checked a basketball team had 5 players. They are young and resilient and I hope their parents and coaches encourage them to deal with this unfortunate incident in the best possible way.
Anyone who has been around sports has had to deal with loss and "the bad call."
Before I coached my first championship team, we lost a championship when the "winning" touchdown pass had an ineligible receiver 15 yards down field as the tight end lined up on the wrong side of the ball and was covered by the split end that caught the touchdown.
It was clearly visible on the game film and I had a private meeting with the officials who were visibly shaken when they saw the play. I wasn't happy for sure.....but seeing how bad they felt about missing the call took a lot of wind out of my sails.
Of course that was 1978 and no one thought about filing a law suit. I had a reunion with that team February a year ago and the boys are doing just fine.

Perhaps some wise individual will take them aside and show them the thousands of crosses that adorn the military cemeteries' above the Normandy Beaches. Those teenagers are not alright.
Get some perspective.

As a retired AD who served more than twenty years......and agonized to find down and chain crews, clock operators, chaperones and scorebook personnel.....thank you for your service!

Last I checked a basketball team had 5 players. They are young and resilient and I hope their parents and coaches encourage them to deal with this unfortunate incident in the best possible way.
Anyone who has been around sports has had to deal with loss and "the bad call."
Before I coached my first championship team, we lost a championship when the "winning" touchdown pass had an ineligible receiver 15 yards down field as the tight end lined up on the wrong side of the ball and was covered by the split end that caught the touchdown.
It was clearly visible on the game film and I had a private meeting with the officials who were visibly shaken when they saw the play. I wasn't happy for sure.....but seeing how bad they felt about missing the call took a lot of wind out of my sails.
Of course that was 1978 and no one thought about filing a law suit. I had a reunion with that team February a year ago and the boys are doing just fine.
well, they don't have five players. Most have a dozen. Of course, that doesn't count the cheerleaders. The pep band. The cheer crowd. Did you see the celebration? It wasn't just the five players.

The bottom line is that being cheated affects you. Losing, well, you've got nobody to blame but yourself. And if it was just a "bad call", that would be one thing. The fact is, the good call was waved off in order to make a bad call. A bad call that was probably worse than bad but negligent. And, guess what? There is no recourse. There is no accountability.

So I guess a strongly worded apology will have to do! Until next year when the same flawed system does it again because grown ups can't bring themselves to be held accountable.

Perhaps some wise individual will take them aside and show them the thousands of crosses that adorn the military cemeteries' above the Normandy Beaches. Those teenagers are not alright.
Get some perspective.
OK, so we should just get rid of sports. I got it. I visited Normandy. I was also in Vietnam. I also been to Gettysburg and several other battlefields. You are comparing apples to oranges and it is ridiculous.

Replay is inexpensive and readily available. What other possible explanation could they have other than to protect the referee, especially in a very important playoff game?

well, they don't have five players. Most have a dozen. Of course, that doesn't count the cheerleaders. The pep band. The cheer crowd. Did you see the celebration? It wasn't just the five players.

The bottom line is that being cheated affects you. Losing, well, you've got nobody to blame but yourself. And if it was just a "bad call", that would be one thing. The fact is, the good call was waved off in order to make a bad call. A bad call that was probably worse than bad but negligent. And, guess what? There is no recourse. There is no accountability.

So I guess a strongly worded apology will have to do! Until next year when the same flawed system does it again because grown ups can't bring themselves to be held accountable.
I'm not broken hearted over pep bands and cheerleaders. Boo hoo. The cheer crowd? LOL the same crowd that would be elsewhere if the team lost a few games.
I'm sorry for the 14-15 guys on the team and the coach. They should have had one more game together. I still don't understand how the officials who made a mistake are the only villains...where is the outrage for the team that is advancing and their coaches, parents, board of education and administration knows they lost?

OK, so we should just get rid of sports. I got it. I visited Normandy. I was also in Vietnam. I also been to Gettysburg and several other battlefields. You are comparing apples to oranges and it is ridiculous.
No one said "get rid of sport." Remember, high school sports exist as part of the school curriculum. The tail should never wag the dog. Participation in athletics is a privilege. Winning or losing an athletic contest in high school is not life and death....that's the point.

No one said "get rid of sport." Remember, high school sports exist as part of the school curriculum. The tail should never wag the dog. Participation in athletics is a privilege. Winning or losing an athletic contest in high school is not life and death....that's the point.
well, I like things to be right. Obviously, fighting Nazis is a thing. These kids didn't lose. that's the point. they won, and stupid adults took it away from them because they are afraid of change and being shown up.

Truth.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but almost every school now has what is called a Hudl Focus camera. Originally these were used only for game film purposes. But with Covid they became a streaming platform. As a coach you take the film and submit it to Hudl after your game and they stat it for you. You can then swap film with other teams.

About a month ago I got an email to use a Beta version that would allow instant playback. So the ability to use 1 reliable camera for replay purpose is coming. That said I've been in gyms as the road team and had to show the scoreboard operator how to use the scoreboard.

Not sure the NFHS will be adding it anytime soon but it could.

Thanks. I missed that vid. The one I saw had a cut in it that looked like it was some time later which seemed to agree with the article.

Bottom line is the refs clearly got the call wrong. The other school/ coach are still on the hook to do what’s right and step aside so the correct team advances.
Well….Colorado won part of a CFB NC in a year they scored the winning TD on a 5th down at the end of the game to beat Nebraska (I think). Colorado and McCartney didnt do the right thing.

Of course things have changed.

You don't think that the ~$95 (plus gas $, if they live far enough away) that those guys made was worth all of the sleepless nights, people online trying to track down their names/phone numbers to shame them, people on social media declaring that they intentionally fixed the game and/or wishing death on them, etc?
Even for me I'd have a hard time calming down and getting to sleep after boys games because a well played game can be fast and furious and get the adrenaline pumping. I loved doing it/ great way to make some extra $ and participate in your school culture.

Got to see some great high school players including Mikail Bridges and Chas McCormick on the Astros (aka the bastard who made the World Series catch).

Glad I did it but would never go back....

Well….Colorado won part of a CFB NC in a year they scored the winning TD on a 5th down at the end of the game to beat Nebraska (I think). Colorado and McCartney didnt do the right thing.

Of course things have changed.
I think it was Mizzou. Sports Illustrated (I think) did a follow up story on that gaffe.

Dude holding the Down Stick was a HUGE Tigers fan and never got over it....

Money on the game? Where the hell is someone going to be getting down money on the moneyline of a non-televised High School basketball game? And even if he could, how much do you think he could get down to make it worth everything that happened? And then, how bad of a fix would it have had to be that it came down to that call for him to win that money?

I mean, it's just as likely that he was blinded by Jewish Space Lasers and couldn't see that clock, and that's why he missed the call.

Money on the game? Where the hell is someone going to be getting down money on the moneyline of a non-televised High School basketball game? And even if he could, how much do you think he could get down to make it worth everything that happened? And then, how bad of a fix would it have had to be that it came down to that call for him to win that money?

I mean, it's just as likely that he was blinded by Jewish Space Lasers and couldn't see that clock, and that's why he missed the call.
OK, whatever. Who knows why the guy blew an incredibly easy call. Your guess is as good as mine. If he fell in love with one of the cheerleaders you'd think he'd have blown his wad by the end of the forth quarter.

Regardless, and incredibly incompetent call that will shape those kid's lives for a long time. Worse, there is no recourse and zero accountability.

OK, whatever. Who knows why the guy blew an incredibly easy call. Your guess is as good as mine. If he fell in love with one of the cheerleaders you'd think he'd have blown his wad by the end of the forth quarter.
I'd say my guess is likely better, because I've officiated high level games (though not basketball), and have blown calls. And with the few that I could go back and watch on video, I wondered what the hell I missed (or watched partners blow calls and try to figure how they hell they missed it). It had nothing to do with money, cheerleaders, space lasers, etc, it's simply that officials are human, and sometimes humans miss calls. That call might be "incredibly easy" in an empty gym or with nothing on the line. In a packed gym, with screaming crowds and a lot of pressure, it's not always as easy as it is from the couch.

I'd say my guess is likely better, because I've officiated high level games (though not basketball), and have blown calls. And with the few that I could go back and watch on video, I wondered what the hell I missed (or watched partners blow calls and try to figure how they hell they missed it). It had nothing to do with money, cheerleaders, space lasers, etc, it's simply that officials are human, and sometimes humans miss calls. That call might be "incredibly easy" in an empty gym or with nothing on the line. In a packed gym, with screaming crowds and a lot of pressure, it's not always as easy as it is from the couch.
Again, it isn't just a "missed call". This was a guy overturning the correct call. And, it wasn't that hard of a call to make.

Again, it isn't just a "missed call". This was a guy overturning the correct call. And, it wasn't that hard of a call to make.
There is no such thing as "overturning" a call...the other official asked him for help, and he told him what he saw (which was very unfortunately wrong). And who is to say that it "wasn't that hard of a call to make"? .5 or .6 seconds, no lights on backboards, no clock above the basket, etc. You'd hope they get it right and it's not like it was a 50/50 call...the call was clearly wrong as we've seen via replay...but it's not like a guy started running with the basketball and they didn't call a travel.

There is no such thing as "overturning" a call...the other official asked him for help, and he told him what he saw (which was very unfortunately wrong). And who is to say that it "wasn't that hard of a call to make"? .5 or .6 seconds, no lights on backboards, no clock above the basket, etc. You'd hope they get it right and it's not like it was a 50/50 call...the call was clearly wrong as we've seen via replay...but it's not like a guy started running with the basketball and they didn't call a travel.
the original ref called it as good, are you disputing that? If it was called good, I understand the ref wanting affirmation. But, again, this wasn't a close call.

the original ref called it as good, are you disputing that? If it was called good, I understand the ref wanting affirmation. But, again, this wasn't a close call.
Of course he called it good (and really sold the call, which is exactly what he's taught to do)...then he said he was 99% sure of the call but wasn't positive, so he asked for help from the other official.

Reactions: Obliviax
Of course he called it good (and really sold the call, which is exactly what he's taught to do)...then he said he was 99% sure of the call but wasn't positive, so he asked for help from the other official.
fair enough. I think we've worn this out but am a huge believer in constant change and accountability. add that to how bad of a call this was and it really stinks. Someone needs to be held accountable lest we get what we've always gotten. 99%? Dang. I have no idea how the guy that said it was no good thought that and sold the original guy that he was greater than 99%. So, to me, it get so egregious it looks like it was on purpose. I have a hard time understanding how they could be so incompetent unless it was something other than incompetence.

fair enough. I think we've worn this out but am a huge believer in constant change and accountability. add that to how bad of a call this was and it really stinks. Someone needs to be held accountable lest we get what we've always gotten. 99%? Dang. I have no idea how the guy that said it was no good thought that and sold the original guy that he was greater than 99%. So, to me, it get so egregious it looks like it was on purpose. I have a hard time understanding how they could be so incompetent unless it was something other than incompetence.
Here is info on the game report that was submitted, for some more context...

“We had an issue at the end of the game where we should have scored a basket that we disallowed to Manasquan,” Starr wrote. “Here’s how it happened: Camden made two free throws with 5.8 seconds left. Manasquan threw the ball in, went down the court and shot a 3. They missed the shot and then Manasquan bounced off the ball and shot it as the buzzer sounded. At that point I counted the goal because I was 99% sure he got the shot on time. When I heard the buzzer, I saw that the ball was no longer in his hand. However, since the game was over and I wanted to make sure we made the right play, I called Kevin back to see if he looked better. I told him I had the basketball just as well and then asked him if he had anything else. At this point, Kevin told me that the ball was still in the shooter's hand when the buzzer sounded. I asked him if he was sure and he said the basket shouldn't count because the ball was in the shooter's hands. When I heard this information, I waved it off.”

Here is info on the game report that was submitted, for some more context...

“We had an issue at the end of the game where we should have scored a basket that we disallowed to Manasquan,” Starr wrote. “Here’s how it happened: Camden made two free throws with 5.8 seconds left. Manasquan threw the ball in, went down the court and shot a 3. They missed the shot and then Manasquan bounced off the ball and shot it as the buzzer sounded. At that point I counted the goal because I was 99% sure he got the shot on time. When I heard the buzzer, I saw that the ball was no longer in his hand. However, since the game was over and I wanted to make sure we made the right play, I called Kevin back to see if he looked better. I told him I had the basketball just as well and then asked him if he had anything else. At this point, Kevin told me that the ball was still in the shooter's hand when the buzzer sounded. I asked him if he was sure and he said the basket shouldn't count because the ball was in the shooter's hands. When I heard this information, I waved it off.”
If it were me, "kevin" would never ref another playoff game. Just horrible that he felt his call was better than 99% and he was so far off on what was not a difficult call.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Didn’t read the article. That call should have been the trail official’s call which looked like he said was good. As someone else asked, which official overruled it? The baseline or sideline ref? Have had that happen to my team twice in my career. Both were shots we made on the road, and were both overturned after a ref conference. Video later showed both shots were good. Can’t tell you how hard it is for players to let those go.

The one was a game that in the end meant nothing in overall standings. The other forced a tie between my team and another team for the league title. We had to play them, and did win the title so as some say, the ball don’t lie. This case is tough because it is a season ender. My heart goes out to all involved.

Didn’t read the article. That call should have been the trail official’s call which looked like he said was good. As someone else asked, which official overruled it? The baseline or sideline ref? Have had that happen to my team twice in my career. Both were shots we made on the road, and were both overturned after a ref conference. Video later showed both shots were good. Can’t tell you how hard it is for players to let those go.
The right official called it, the "C" (opposite side from the table)...the trail on the bench side was the one he came to for help after the call. The mechanics of the play were good...the final call, not so much.

The right official called it, the "C" (opposite side from the table)...the trail on the bench side was the one he came to for help after the call. The mechanics of the play were good...the final call, not so much.
In live time, looked clearly good to me with the video trailing the play.

I'm not broken hearted over pep bands and cheerleaders. Boo hoo. The cheer crowd? LOL the same crowd that would be elsewhere if the team lost a few games.
I'm sorry for the 14-15 guys on the team and the coach. They should have had one more game together. I still don't understand how the officials who made a mistake are the only villains...where is the outrage for the team that is advancing and their coaches, parents, board of education and administration knows they lost?
It’s obviously the coach of the losing team’s fault…if he had done a better job they would have been up by more points and could have overcome the one bad call. I mean, that’s what I read on here about Franklin all the time.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but almost every school now has what is called a Hudl Focus camera. Originally these were used only for game film purposes. But with Covid they became a streaming platform. As a coach you take the film and submit it to Hudl after your game and they stat it for you. You can then swap film with other teams.

About a month ago I got an email to use a Beta version that would allow instant playback. So the ability to use 1 reliable camera for replay purpose is coming. That said I've been in gyms as the road team and had to show the scoreboard operator how to use the scoreboard.

Not sure the NFHS will be adding it anytime soon but it could.
NFHS has been providing streaming services and incentives to purchase cameras for awhile now. The issue with replay would be the limited angles depending on where the cameras are located. My understanding is that those schools that have "bought in" have one camera per location. They then charge a per game or subscription fee to grandma and grandpa in Florida to watch all of Johnny's games. Our playoffs are streamed as I'm sure is the case in most states.

Last edited:
It’s obviously the coach of the losing team’s fault…if he had done a better job they would have been up by more points and could have overcome the one bad call. I mean, that’s what I read on here about Franklin all the time.
I'm surprised someone here hasn't blamed Franklin for this situation.

Reactions: AWS1022
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT