ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing excites sports fans like Game Seven of the Stanley Cup Finals!

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Tonight should be epic. Edmonton trying to win it after being down 3-0.

Game in Edmonton.

No Canadian team has won the Cup in 30 years!

Conner McDavid’s time to shine?

Place will be crazy!

Tonight should be epic. Edmonton trying to win it after being down 3-0.

Game in Edmonton.

No Canadian team has won the Cup in 30 years!

Conner McDavid’s time to shine?

Place will be crazy!

I think the game is actually in Florida tonight. Hopefully the panthers get back on track tonight and continue the Canadian drought. ;)

Reactions: Obliviax
I think the game is actually in Florida tonight. Hopefully the panthers get back on track tonight and continue the Canadian drought. ;)
You are correct, at Florida. Shame as the Canadians would be going crazy.

Personally, would like to see a Canadian team finally win one. Seems only righteous.

Personally, would like to see a Canadian team finally win one. Seems only righteous.
Florida needs a good first period to get their heads straight. They've got a lot of pressure after losing 3 in a row to set up the game 7. Plus, McDavid is in their heads.

Ever since Vancouver allowed the NY Rangers to win the Stanley Cup in 1994, I curse all of Canada to never win another Cup.

I really miss the ‘1940’ chants as the Rangers got knocked out each year. ;)

Ever since Vancouver allowed the NY Rangers to win the Stanley Cup in 1994, I curse all of Canada to never win another Cup.

I really miss the ‘1940’ chants as the Rangers got knocked out each year. ;)
Felt terrible for Quebec Nordique fans. Team, only pro sports team in Quebec, never won the Cup.

Team moves to Denver and wins in first year. Really had to hurt.

Reactions: psu00
Losing game four 8-1 was a disaster. They never recovered.
If they blow this, that team, which looked like they could be a legitimate contender for the next two to three seasons, never will recover emotionally, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even make the playoffs next season, especially because of the wear and tear of being in the last two Final series.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
If they blow this, that team, which looked like they could be a legitimate contender for the next two to three seasons, never will recover emotionally, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even make the playoffs next season, especially because of the wear and tear of being in the last two Final series.
Agreed. And a "fear of losing" is a problematic motivation going into a game seven. Teams need to be able to play loose and hard.

Agreed. And a "fear of losing" is a problematic motivation going into a game seven. Teams need to be able to play loose and hard.
I'm rooting for Florida because I'm frankly tired of hearing about the Canadian element of this series, like Canadians are the only people on Earth who know, understand and appreciate the game. I've been watching hockey in general and the Penguins in particular since the mid 70s, and watched my nephew play travel hockey all over the East and Midwest and Ontario for over a decade (he now is an official who is moving up the ranks), so I know the game as well as any Canadian.

With that said, Florida looks like a spent team, and I believe that if they win, it almost will be a fluke of some sort. Also, I also believe that when you give a generational player in any sport the chance that McDavid now has, he usually seizes it.

I'm rooting for Florida because I'm frankly tired of hearing about the Canadian element of this series, like Canadians are the only people on Earth who know, understand and appreciate the game. I've been watching hockey in general and the Penguins in particular since the mid 70s, and watched my nephew play travel hockey all over the East and Midwest and Ontario for over a decade (he now is an official who is moving up the ranks), so I know the game as well as any Canadian.

With that said, Florida looks like a spent team, and I believe that if they win, it almost will be a fluke of some sort. Also, I also believe that when you give a generational player in any sport the chance that McDavid now has, he usually seizes it.
well, that's fine. But I don't think people living in So. FL need one more thing to make their lives happy. For Edmonton, this is it (unless you count the Edmonton Elks.

And, I have to say, jeebus it is almost July and we don't have a champion for ice hockey.

well, that's fine. But I don't think people living in So. FL need one more thing to make their lives happy. For Edmonton, this is it (unless you count the Edmonton Elks.

And, I have to say, jeebus it is almost July and we don't have a champion for ice hockey.
Yes, the length of the season is absurd. This series almost ran right up to the draft, which is at the end of this week.

Also, these two teams will be starting training camp in about 2 1/2 months from now, and you know that several of the players on both teams will have to have some kind of medical work done this summer.

Last edited:
Yes, the length of the season is absurd. This series almost ran right up to the draft, which is at the end of this week.

Also, these two teams will be starting training camp in about 2 1/2 months from now, and you know that several of the players on both teams will have to have some kind of medical work done this summer.
All pro seasons are getting too long. Money talks.

One good thing about the Cup playoffs now is in the old days…. Like five years ago…. the games were every other night. Just brutal on the players especially with the travel involved. Now they are more spread out allowing time to recover from both games and travel.

It was probably done more for tv ratings and money but travel was probably also a consideration.

Reactions: bison13
Yupp--they'd almost have to blow the team up

All pro seasons are getting too long. Money talks.

One good thing about the Cup playoffs now is in the old days…. Like five years ago…. the games were every other night. Just brutal on the players especially with the travel involved. Now they are more spread out allowing time to recover from both games and travel.

It was probably done more for tv ratings and money but travel was probably also a consideration.
I heard that this was the greatest distance between two teams that made the Final, and that's the reason why there were two travel days each time.

Great game--glad the better team won
McDavid getting the Conn Smythe, and this isn't fair to him, is just going to make people dislike him. Great playoffs but he was scoreless in game 7 when it mattered most.

Reactions: Mufasa94
Great game--glad the better team won
McDavid getting the Conn Smythe, and this isn't fair to him, is just going to make people dislike him. Great playoffs but he was scoreless in game 7 when it mattered most.
He also was scoreless in Game 6, not that it mattered. He’s truly one of the all time greats, but he’s already in his late 20s and hasn’t won a championship yet. If he never wins at least one, that will be a huge void on his resume, similar to Dan Marino not winning a Super Bowl.

He also was scoreless in Game 6, not that it mattered. He’s truly one of the all time greats, but he’s already in his late 20s and hasn’t won a championship yet. If he never wins at least one, that will be a huge void on his resume, similar to Dan Marino not winning a Super Bowl.
Yeah, the great ones, especially centers like QBs, need a title or else it's a huge gap in the resume. "The best to never win a title" isn't how anyone wants to be remembered

I'm also a little relieved that Skinner didn't win a Cup a year after Hill or goalies would have started being treated like RBs in the NFL.

McDavid wasn't a factor in Game Six and Seven. As for Marino, he didn't play well in big games at any level and any excuse otherwise is a myth.

Florida is the only state to say they've had Stanley Cup Finals hockey for five consecutive years in the month of June. Florida!?!?!?!

A state where while on vacation in Orlando in June of 1992, I had to find a sports bar and pay the bartender to put on the Pens - Blackhawks Stanley Cup final hockey game, and listened to someone shortly thereafter exclaim, "Hockey! Who the hell's watching hockey?!"

Floridians should by now know that ice isn't just for drinks any more.

• Love
As a Flyer fan we had 2 former players on Florida- one of whom is the eternal "missing link" goaltender whom we chose not to keep. With the exception of Ron Hextall- the curse of Pelle Lindbergh continues.

I've seen Edmonton @ Philly the past 2 years and like their team. A lot of skill guys- and fast moving style. Flyers beat them both years- you never see the West Coast teams at their best on a long East Coast road trip. McDavid has been totally mediocre both times- including getting stopped on a Shootout attempt 2 years ago to ice the game.

The last game of the season Oilers got LIT UP @ Colorado and Skinner was dogmeat. I figured that he wouldn't get them too far- and he did miss a beat- but then return strong. I was wrong as they earned their trip to the Finals- especially vs. Dallas.

Truth be told I was pulling for Edmonton. Partially for something different and mostly for McDavid. Guy is a freak.

That said- Panthers deserved the W- avoiding an all time choke.

Draft is Friday night- Let's Go Flyers!

Reactions: psu00
As a Flyer fan we had 2 former players on Florida- one of whom is the eternal "missing link" goaltender whom we chose not to keep. With the exception of Ron Hextall- the curse of Pelle Lindbergh continues.

I've seen Edmonton @ Philly the past 2 years and like their team. A lot of skill guys- and fast moving style. Flyers beat them both years- you never see the West Coast teams at their best on a long East Coast road trip. McDavid has been totally mediocre both times- including getting stopped on a Shootout attempt 2 years ago to ice the game.

The last game of the season Oilers got LIT UP @ Colorado and Skinner was dogmeat. I figured that he wouldn't get them too far- and he did miss a beat- but then return strong. I was wrong as they earned their trip to the Finals- especially vs. Dallas.

Truth be told I was pulling for Edmonton. Partially for something different and mostly for McDavid. Guy is a freak.

That said- Panthers deserved the W- avoiding an all time choke.

Draft is Friday night- Let's Go Flyers!
Gave you a like……until I saw the ‘let’s go Flyers’!😉

Florida is the only state to say they've had Stanley Cup Finals hockey for five consecutive years in the month of June. Florida!?!?!?!

A state where while on vacation in Orlando in June of 1992, I had to find a sports bar and pay the bartender to put on the Pens - Blackhawks Stanley Cup final hockey game, and listened to someone shortly thereafter exclaim, "Hockey! Who the hell's watching hockey?!"

Floridians should by now know that ice isn't just for drinks any more.
If you can believe this, I thought that I heard that Florida was the state that either had the most or one of the most players from the USA's Championship Junior Team this past January.

Pretty common in sports. We complain about players not performing but we have no idea what they are dealing with 🤷🏻‍♀️
I recall listening to LeBron. I know he takes a lot of crap but I think he's one of the smartest guys I've seen in sports who is also a legit super-star. A lot depends on staying healthy in the pro leagues and this is especially true in the NBA/NHL because their playoffs are so long with so many games. It is imperative to get the the finals having played as few games as possible. That means dispatching lesser teams in three or four games.

People may not remember but the Golden State Warriors first championship run, every single starting point guard opposing them either missed the entire series or got hurt in the first game against them. The only two guys I can remember, James and Jordan, looked at the entire playoffs as a single entity.

Great Moments In Hockey History: Bobby Baun's Broken Leg Goal

Bobby Baun's playoff heroics are what the Stanley Cup is all about.

With 10 minutes left in the sixth game of the 1964 finals between the Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings, Bobby Baun fearlessly sacrificed his body, sliding down onto the ice to block a Gordie Howe shot. The heavy shot bounced off Baun’s foot at exactly the worst spot, breaking a bone in Baun's ankle. He was carried away on a stretcher and he should have seen his season to come to an end.

But he didn't.

In one of the most courageous and famous moments in hockey history, Baun returned to the lineup in the very same game. The game had gone into over time, and Baun refused to go to the hospital. Instead he was given painkillers and had his ankle taped tightly, and returned for the extra period of play.

Just a couple of minutes into the over time, Baun became a hero of legendary proportions. Baun picked up a failed Detroit clearing attempt at the blueline and directed a shot on the Detroit goal. It deflected off of Detroit defenseman Bill Gadsby and over Terry Sawchuk and into the net, forcing game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals!!

There was no way Baun would miss game 7. He refused to allow doctors to examine his ankle. He suffered in severe pain but knew if doctors looked at it he would be forced to sit in the biggest game of a professional hockey player's career. He didn't miss a shift that game as the Leafs won 4-0 and tasted champagne from Lord Stanley's Cup.

A legend that even Ronnie Lott would be proud of....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT