ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Savannah, Ga visit...

Pa_catamount

Jul 26, 2001
A couple of weeks ago I asked and received some great info concerning an upcoming visit to Charleston, SC. I have now been told that I will be also be staying in Savannah for a couple of days..

So once again I am in need of the board's assistance. Could anyone please give me some pointers on where to eat, sleep, drink, and sights to see?

Thank you very much!

It's been a while since I've been there so I can't recommend specific places to eat, sleep, drink, etc. If you have time to take a carriage tour of the city, it's well worth it. River Street used to be a cool place to hang out and have a drink... I think there is an open container exception there. There was also a riverboat cruise that served alcohol that provided a tour of the Savannah River/Harbor. Come to think of it, there was a hotel right on the harbor/River street. Maybe it was a Hilton.

A couple of weeks ago I asked and received some great info concerning an upcoming visit to Charleston, SC. I have now been told that I will be also be staying in Savannah for a couple of days..

So once again I am in need of the board's assistance. Could anyone please give me some pointers on where to eat, sleep, drink, and sights to see?

Thank you very much!

If you are into Civil War stuff and military history, Savannah is good for that.

Fort Pulaski: Where it was demonstrated that rifled cannons made brick forts obsolete.
Fort McAllister: Where Sherman's March to the Sea ended just prior to the fall of Savannah.

Last edited:

Thank you very much!
Everything is on River Street. Cool place. I live in the vicinity!

Reactions: Bloomnit
Agree with Ranger Dan and it's been a while since I was there. River Street has many places to eat and drink and we also did a carriage ride and trolley tour.

Supposedly Savannah is the most haunted city in the country. The city squares in town are interesting.

Lots of good choices for eating and drinking. Here's a few
Olde Pink House -- Southern fine dining
Churchill's -- Pub
Leopold's -- ice cream and desserts

It's a walkable city with many attractions on the waterfront; you can also drive around the neighborhoods, and see the area where Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was based

Definitely do River Street, good restaurants and our favorite River Street Sweets for pralines.

Olde Pink House then walk the historic district. Elizabeth's on 37th St, & Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room. Walk the River Front area and number of local bars and shops. Think the hotel is a Hyatt on River Front. Would recommend Desoto Hilton in the Historic District. Stayed there before moving to Hilton Head.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

I have only been to Savannah once. It shot directly to the top of one of my most favorite cities and certainly #1 in the South. Would love to go back with more time - I am envious! Enjoy!

28a1ce32e66759a269ec644cee84280a.jpg

Here is your guide to Savannah.

DO's
1. Restaurants
a) Elizabeth's on 37's (fine dining, not outrageously expensive, but nice)
b) The Olde Pink House (ask/demand either a table upstairs or in the back of the restaurant, not either of the front parlor rooms)
c) Crystal Beer Parlor (great burgers, beers and other comfort food) http://www.crystalbeerparlor.com
2. Hotels
a) Hamilton-Turner Inn
b) Mansion of Forsyth Park
3. Pre-Trip Reading
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. A goofy, tabloid-like book that is an entertaining quick read and will give you a nice, albeit different, historic perspective of Savanah.

DONT's
1. Restaurants
a) Paula Dean's is overpriced buffet crap food
b) Mrs Wilkes Dining room - why anyone would wait in line for 1-2 hours to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken in a family style environment is beyond me​
2. Hotels
Don't stay in any hotel along River St, especially if you'll be there on a weekend. Young Floridians flock there because open containers are allowed/encouraged and the place turns into a large frat party. Anywhere away from River St in a nice historic area will be fine.​

Last edited:

Thank you very much!

We stayed at the Hilton. Great location but it's a modern hotel that doesn't quite fit with the other architecture.

We took the Old Town Trolley which was an excellent way to see the city (Forsyth Park, Market Square, Cathedral of St John). We ate at Tubby's right on River Street. Good food and great atmosphere. Enjoyed watching the tankers come down the river. Moon River Brewery was good. Wife enjoyed fried green tomatoes with crabmeat. Roof of Bohemian Hotel has a really nice outdoor bar with fireplace at night. Lots of places in Market Square. Take in a few samples at the Savannah Bee Company.

We also went to Paula Dean's restaurant (Lady & Sons). Bad decision. We had the buffet and it tasted great. Problem is that you can only eat so much butter without getting sick.

If you are into Civil War stuff and military history, Savannah is good for that.

Fort Pulaski: Where it was demonstrated that rifled cannons made brick forts obsolete.
Fort McAllister: Where Sherman's March to the Sea ended just prior to the fall of Savannah.

Just remember in the south it's referred to as Sherman's "Retreat To The Sea".

B. Matthews is the best brunch in Savannah (at least on a Saturday since some places only have Sunday brunch). Make sure you give yourself 30-45 mins for the wait. Went at 10:30 on a Saturday morning and waited about 35 mins. Awesome food (biscuits and gravy and shrimp/grits) and amazing cocktails. Best part of the meal was when our server asked if we wanted a round to go. Yes they do to go cups just like NOLA.

Highly recommend the hop on/hop off trolley if you're trying to see all of the city in a quick amount of time. It was raining when I did it so it was awesome that we got to see the city and stay dry.

If you happen to be staying at the Mansion on Forsythe Park...do not valet a car there. The valet lost my keys to my rental and I was up shits creek until the GM came in on his day off and found them. Cost me 4 hours of my life and he solved my problem in 5 mins when he got there. Pretty sure he then fired all of the valet staff.

Awesome city though.

Loved Barricuda Bobs at river walk was execellent for fish. Stayed at Hampton Inn downtown across from river walk great location we enjoyed it. Have fun!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT