ADVERTISEMENT

Oblie’s Pre-Game Notes

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
My game notes last week were pretty much spot on so thought I'd try it again. However, I failed to realize how poorly the offensive line would perform, two key defensive injuries and the staff’s complete inability to in-game adjust.

Moving forward, Buffalo’s game notes:

· Buffalo’s coach, Lance Leipold, is considered a huge up and comer. This is his first year as Buffalo’s head coach. As an understudy at Wisconsin White Water, he helped a legendary head coach lead the team to be a perennial national championship contender. As head coach, with a 109-6 record starting in 2008 through 2014, he led the team to perennial national championships. That includes six national tittles as he found a way to beat the former perennial championship team, Mount Union. While inexpereience in MAC play or in power five, the dude can coach.

· Being only his second game at the helm of Buffalo, its kind of hard to get a feel for his team. Leipold’s signature at WWW was an attacking defense that comes from all angles, our of a base 4-3 set. On offense, again, multiple sets and multiple angles. They twice went for it on 4th down, converting both.

· Buffalo was ~ .500 last year and prognosticators picked them for a similar record this year and ending up around in the middle of the MAC pack. Does LL have the players for his system? It would seem so. He has a really efficient QB in Joe Licata. He’s got a good mix of passing and running ability but lacks physicality. He completed 77% of his passes last week. Taylor and Johnson are an interesting 1-2 punch. Taylor is 5-10 and 209, Johnson is 6-0 and 230. Taylor had 104 yards on 17 attempts last week. I suspect that our defense can predict a little of the offense depending upon who is lined up behind Licata. Their TE’s had nine catches but their starter, Schrek (not the Ogre) is only 229 but is 6-5. Again, PSU may be able to see tendencies depending upon which TE is in the game although they will run both, splitting out Schrek. They do start three new O-Linemen this year, which is probably their biggest weakness. Their Center is a RS Frosh at 6-3, 285.

· On defense, the linebackers and secondary are young and active. One starter from last year, Dadeboe, was injured and didn’t play last week as true frosh CJ Stancil filled in. The D is active and comes at you. They forced three turnovers last week with their harassing defense. Nose tackle is a freshman named Chris Ford who is 323 lbs. I had hoped this team might be a little small but that doesn’t seem to be the case. They also returned a punt for a TD.

What to expect:

· Man, really scary. This is exactly the kind of team PSU will struggle against; and active, attacking defense and a scrappy, efficient offense.

· On offense, expect the Bulls to go after a short passing game to the TE’s challenging our depleted LBers. They will try to establish a running game but I am hopeful our leaders on the D-line can defeat their youngish offensive line. That will move the Bulls to their secondary plan to attack our LBers with a short passing game. They use two WR’s that are over 6 feet and their deep threat is a guy named Colin Lisa who has seemed to have “wowed” their staff and team. He caught a 46 yard TD pass. If the PSU Safties start to creep up to stop the run and short passing game, expect the Bulls to try and go deep to Lisa (Dline, its up to you to put pressure on this guy!)

· On offense, sorry, it all comes down to our blocking on the oline. Expect 8 in the box, pressing the WR’s, bringing people from all angles. I would hope our “jet sweep” would be more effective as I expect our team speed to be more effective. One corner is smallish at 5-10 so expect PSU to try and isolate on him (Baker). I really expect PSU to come out trying to establish the run. Bulls seem to consider their d-line as their biggest weakness. With an Albany team behind, they were not able to make many tackles for a loss or sacks. Perhaps we can pop a long one against their attacking D. If not, and they creep up to stop the run, we may go to attacking their corners. I would hope that we can beat them with team speed.

Overall, a very scary game as the Buffalo Bulls team is exactly what we don’t want to see and plays a scheme that exploits are weaknesses. I expect the Lions to come out angry and physical. If we can beat them physically, we can blow it open. If not, we will be challenged to handle the complex defenses that we saw last week. Regardless, I see PSU winning fairly easily but at times we will look silly and bad. My biggest concern is the fragility of our team mentally and if we get beat early, will we let down?

PSU 24-10.

You say you were "spot on" about the Temple game?
No, you were DEAD WRONG.
(Though you made enough comments that one or two were right, though I will refrain from stopped clock/right twice a day and blind hog/finding acorn analogies.)
You said:
"Temple is a good team. But I see PSU being physically dominant and feel we will win with a similar spread as last year...This year's (PSU) team is much more physical than last year's team. Lynch at 130 yards rushing, T popped a 75 yard pass for a TD. I don't know why this year's game would be worse than last years. This PSU team is much more prepared, rested, deeper and physical than last years. Baring massive turnovers, PSU wins this one...
The offensive line was at its worst, last year, versus T. ..
.Our biggest threat is a) Paris Palmer flaming out and b) kicking. I expect us to be a much better passing team (last year we had 112 yards and two INTs) and as good in the rushing game. I expect our defense to be dominating. I am not overlooking Temple, they are a good team, but not better than last year and we will be better than last year."
(You also predicted PSU would win by "a similar score as last year", so you were just 34 points off.)

Here's all you have to know about Buffalo: According to rivals, from 2011-2015, they had no 5 star or 4 star recruits. They had eight 3 star recruits, an average of 1.6 per year.
That is not by any means a "scary" team.
If PSU can't beat Buffalo they can't beat anybody and the coaches should all be fired..

Reactions: Louisville JD
The only question is: How will the Donovan/Hand defenders blame sanctions if we lose to Buffalo? I mean, their recruiting classes are probably ranked 50 spots below us. They'll find a way though...

The only question is: How will the Donovan/Hand defenders blame sanctions if we lose to Buffalo? I mean, their recruiting classes are probably ranked 50 spots below us. They'll find a way though...
No, they are ranked closer to 100 spots behind PSU.

Reactions: Louisville JD
No, you were DEAD WRONG.
(Though you made enough comments that one or two were right, though I will refrain from stopped clock/right twice a day and blind hog/finding acorn analogies.)
You said:
"Temple is a good team. But I see PSU being physically dominant and feel we will win with a similar spread as last year...This year's (PSU) team is much more physical than last year's team. Lynch at 130 yards rushing, T popped a 75 yard pass for a TD. I don't know why this year's game would be worse than last years. This PSU team is much more prepared, rested, deeper and physical than last years. Baring massive turnovers, PSU wins this one...
.Our biggest threat is a) Paris Palmer flaming out and b) kicking. I expect us to be a much better passing team (last year we had 112 yards and two INTs) and as good in the rushing game. I expect our defense to be dominating. I am not overlooking Temple, they are a good team, but not better than last year and we will be better than last year."
(You also predicted PSU would win by "a similar score as last year", so you were just 34 points off.)

Here's all you have to know about Buffalo: According to rivals, from 2011-2015, they had no 5 star or 4 star recruits. They had eight 3 star recruits, an average of 1.6 per year.
If PSU can't beat Buffalo they can't beat anybody and the coaches should all be fired..

I think he was being facetious

I think he was being facetious
If only. He only admits two mistakes - OL and coaching adjustments and the rest is injuries.
What about bad game planning, bad play calls, bad clock management, and poor play by the QB, TEs, WRs, defense and everybody but the kicker and special teams, who he expected to be the weakness.

"However, I failed to realize how poorly the offensive line would perform, two key defensive injuries and the staff’s complete inability to in-game adjust."

Take it from Ole Mainer, the game will be thicslose entering the 4th quarter. I'm saying 13-10 PSU. Final score 20-13 PSU.

No, you were DEAD WRONG.

Haha... true.

Remember though, there's this thing called execution, and I think we know how well PSU did that last week. At this point, I would gladly take 11 two stars executing at a very high level instead of a bunch of bumbling 4 stars trying to execute lousy play calls.

No, you were DEAD WRONG.
You said:

Humm, sounds like the same star rating that Temple had. How did that turn out?

Humm, sounds like the same star rating that Temple had. How did that turn out?
No, Temple averages about midway between Penn State and Buffalo. PSU has had pretty good recruiting classes, Temple a little below average and Buffalo just awful.

And that's why it's a waste of time to invest very much time star gazing. Believe in your coaches. They know 10x more than pay for web site star raters.

Remember though, there's this thing called execution, and I think we know how well PSU did that last week. At this point, I would gladly take 11 two stars executing at a very high level instead of a bunch of bumbling 4 stars trying to execute lousy play calls.

Well, there s/b some executions if we lose this one.....!

And that's why it's a waste of time to invest very much time star gazing. Believe in your coaches. They know 10x more than pay for web site star raters.
Yes, but when the differences are that great...
The rating of a player is partly based on the number and quality of teams recruiting him.

I think we'll be fine this week and win by 3+ TDs. As bad as the game turned out last week, our 1st 14 plays netted 128 yards and 10 points. The Buffalo defense is nothing like the Temple defense.

PSU 38 - Buffalo 13

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT