ADVERTISEMENT

Oblis Observations

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Game
  • you are never as good as you think you are after a win. WVU had four fumbles in the first half that took them out of their game. While they only lost one, they lost a lot of yardage on the other four. Plus, we were very fortunate that Beau's shin hit the ground. I looked like WVU was trying to do a direct snap, or very close, to the jet sweeper but they couldn't get the timing down. First game jitters and game speed not being the same as practice speed.
  • PSU only attempted 18 passes. I think we could have passed all day and put up 50 points.
  • The game was effectively over after the opening drive of the third qtr. Was seriously over after Singleton's long run
  • Interesting on the horsecollar that wasn't called. I guess the defender didn't take the runner down but it was clearly a player grabbing the horse collar. I'd never thought about it but I guess it isn't like facemask where if you grab and jerk it no matter how hard, it is a penalty.
  • I loved that CJF was prepared for the delay with food and letting the kids move around. This didn't catch them by surprise.
  • We were far more physical and fast.
QB
  • First, I loved seeing Allar get animated after the fumbled snap. I like the passion and leadership, that we didn't see from him last year.
  • His best throw isn't being talked about. His best throw was a flag pattern for a critical first down to the outside of the receiver. It was a rope and a dame.
  • I loved his running. They were all smart runs when he had the first down available. Again, didn't see that last year. One time, he went all Mahomes buying time but didn't really advance much down the field. Loved it.
  • I am not sure what to think of the Beau/Allar combo. I need to see it against BG and Kent. Beau makes me nervous holding onto the ball.
RBs/OL
  • Singleton looked good and ran away from WVU DBs twice. Pretty good for a man of his size. Not so much for Allen but he didn't have much room.
  • We ran A LOT but I think that is what the game dictated.
  • Cousins is going to be a bad ass.
  • Love Vega in motion.
  • TEs all looked good.
  • We ran a wildcat to Singleton but it ended up being called dead for a penalty before the snap.
  • Love AK's creativity but need to give thought to NOT being a trickery team. We can overdo it.
Defense
  • WVU's offense ended up being off balance with the fumbles and then being behind. Plus they lost their best RB during the critical 2nd quarter. So they shot themselves in the foot.
  • Run D was good but pass D was really good. No complaints
  • Especially good are our 4 Safeties. They look awesome. And Rojas is going to be a superstar
I watched a little of the other games. Watching LSU USC I thought boy these teams offenses are good. Yet, when you look at it, we scored more points in 3 Qtrs and all they did was pass. I feel good about our team right now.

Game
  • you are never as good as you think you are after a win. WVU had four fumbles in the first half that took them out of their game. While they only lost one, they lost a lot of yardage on the other four. Plus, we were very fortunate that Beau's shin hit the ground. I looked like WVU was trying to do a direct snap, or very close, to the jet sweeper but they couldn't get the timing down. First game jitters and game speed not being the same as practice speed.
  • PSU only attempted 18 passes. I think we could have passed all day and put up 50 points.
  • The game was effectively over after the opening drive of the third qtr. Was seriously over after Singleton's long run
  • Interesting on the horsecollar that wasn't called. I guess the defender didn't take the runner down but it was clearly a player grabbing the horse collar. I'd never thought about it but I guess it isn't like facemask where if you grab and jerk it no matter how hard, it is a penalty.
  • I loved that CJF was prepared for the delay with food and letting the kids move around. This didn't catch them by surprise.
QB
  • First, I loved seeing Allar get animated after the fumbled snap. I like the passion and leadership, that we didn't see from him last year.
  • His best throw isn't being talked about. His best throw was a flag pattern for a critical first down to the outside of the receiver. It was a rope and a dame.
  • I loved his running. They were all smart runs when he had the first down available. Again, didn't see that last year. One time, he went all Mahomes buying time but didn't really advance much down the field. Loved it.
  • I am not sure what to think of the Beau/Allar combo. I need to see it against BG and Kent. Beau makes me nervous holding onto the ball.
RBs/OL
  • Singleton looked good and ran away from WVU DBs twice. Pretty good for a man of his size. Not so much for Allen but he didn't have much room.
  • Love Vega in motion.
  • TEs all looked good.
  • We ran a wildcat to Singleton but it ended up being called dead for a penalty before the snap.
  • Love AK's creativity but need to give thought to NOT being a trickery team. We can overdo it.
Defense
  • WVU's offense ended up being off balance with the fumbles and then being behind. Plus they lost their best RB during the critical 2nd quarter. So they shot themselves in the foot.
  • Especially good are our 4 Safeties. They look awesome. And Rojas is going to be a superstar
I watched a little of the other games. Watching LSU USC I thought boy these teams offenses are good. Yet, when you look at it, we scored more points in 3 Qtrs and all they did was pass. I feel good about our team .Agree they were sharp on both sides and played fast.And anyone thinks this is an easy schedule is nuts

Reactions: Jerry
Game
QB
RBs/OL
  • Love Vega in motion.
  • TEs all looked good.
Defense
I watched a little of the other games. Watching LSU USC I thought boy these teams offenses are good. Yet, when you look at it, we scored more points in 3 Qtrs and all they did was pass. I feel good about our team right now.
I agree with everything except that we could have thrown all day. I wasn't seeing a lot of WRs except Wallace getting separation. That's why Allar ran with the ball as much as he did.

That's what was impressive about Moss & Nussmeier last night. It's not just that they completed 75% of their passes. Everything was quick and precise. Both were releasing the ball before the WR made their break. Allar doesn't seem to have that same chemistry with our WRs. Maybe they're just not good enough.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Also noticed that only one kickoff was a touchback. I don't know if that was by design or regression by Nwosu.

Allar was able to run because the receivers are going deeper and creating a void along with the line giving him time enough to find the running lane. Expect to see more, but it will get harder as the season moves on. Allar did stick and move on one DB which is good to see.

Said this yesterday. I wasn't focusing on the OL, but one guy did stand out on a short running play. Ioane had his block 8 yards downfield. Not a big fan of putting him in motion, but we'll see. A good play is a play that works.. lol...

Very impressed with the DB's. Seemed fast. Tackling always seems to be a problem.

I saw the horse caller too. Not sure why that wasn't called.

Anyway, great start. Encouraging.

Which begs the question--why didn't he kick yesterday?

Based on what I've read and heard, in camp they track all the kicks. Whoever has the highest % gets the nod.

Sahaydak won the job last year and then missed 2 FGs vs WVU. That opened the door to last years kicker (his name escapes me).

This probably happens again, but I suspect they may split duties until one of them misses again in live action.

I agree with everything except that we could have thrown all day. I wasn't seeing a lot of WRs except Wallace getting separation. That's why Allar ran with the ball as much as he did.

That's what was impressive about Moss & Nussmeier last night. It's not just that they completed 75% of their passes. Everything was quick and precise. Both were releasing the ball before the WR made their break. Allar doesn't seem to have that same chemistry with our WRs. Maybe they're just not good enough.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but why are you always so negative? Is there nothing positive you saw in the game? The spread was 7.5 and we won by 22 and you seem to think we underperformed.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but why are you always so negative? Is there nothing positive you saw in the game? The spread was 7.5 and we won by 22 and you seem to think we underperformed.
The spread was nonsense--it was basically free money because of the hype McAfee created, their inflated record last year and people doubting Franklin thinking it's still 2021

There were a ton of positives and while they should be acknowledged isn't it the concerns that should be the primary conversation? Our goal isn't to beat WVU--it's to make the playoff and win a title. WVU is simply one of our games to prepare us for real tests later.

Game
QB
RBs/OL
  • Love Vega in motion.
  • TEs all looked good.
Defense
I like the Beau /Allar combo. AK's offense uses a lot of QB runs. I think using Beau will keep the D honest and he is a very effective runner. You can see how wide open Warren was on the throw. I think they need to have Beau throw once or twice a game. I also think we'll see a Beau lateral to Drew and a pass. not only does Beau's palying have an impact on the passing lanes it also helps with the running lanes.

I like the Beau /Allar combo. AK's offense uses a lot of QB runs. I think using Beau will keep the D honest and he is a very effective runner. You can see how wide open Warren was on the throw. I think they need to have Beau throw once or twice a game. I also think we'll see a Beau lateral to Drew and a pass. not only does Beau's palying have an impact on the passing lanes it also helps with the running lanes.
Warren was open because of the run plays with Allen to that point--had nothing to do with Beau
Beau shouldn't play until the game it out of hand--Allar needs the reps. You don't see any other contending team needing the change of pace--nor do we.

“Interesting on the horsecollar that wasn't called. I guess the defender didn't take the runner down but it was clearly a player grabbing the horse collar. I'd never thought about it but I guess it isn't like facemask where if you grab and jerk it no matter how hard, it is a penalty.“

I saw that too. I was screaming at the TV. IIRC, the announcers didn’t even mention it. They kept yapping on about something else. I think it was Allen who got yanked around. How the hell did they miss that? Rotten officiating. We got away with a couple obvious calls and so did they.

“Interesting on the horsecollar that wasn't called. I guess the defender didn't take the runner down but it was clearly a player grabbing the horse collar. I'd never thought about it but I guess it isn't like facemask where if you grab and jerk it no matter how hard, it is a penalty.“

I saw that too. I was screaming at the TV. IIRC, the announcers didn’t even mention it. They kept yapping on about something else. I think it was Allen who got yanked around. How the hell did they miss that? Rotten officiating. We got away with a couple obvious calls and so did they.
The no call there was correct. He released it and didn't take him to the ground with it.

Calls are always going to be missed with the speed of the game being what it was. The replay failing is a solid complaint but that's not a penalty.

I dont mind it either but I don't like when they are both on the field at the same time. Unless Allar is really a threat to catch or block, why play 10 vs. 11? I get they can show Beau and then motion to allar, but wouldn't another recieving/running/or blocking threat be better to pair with Beau?

Game
QB
RBs/OL
  • Love Vega in motion.
  • TEs all looked good.
Defense
Great summary!

Reactions: Obliviax

I covered this in another thread:

NCAA 9-1-15

All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it.

Here, the defender, at most, just grabbed and pulled backward enough to slow Singleton down ... then the rest of his body caught up to him, he let go and jumped on his back to take him down. That's not a penalty for a horse collar tackle.

Reactions: Woodpecker

It's decision making by Allar IMO. When you can throw the ball as accurate as he can, virtually everyone is 'open'. Make a decision, step up and throw it. Several of those throws, there were other people more open.

Warren was open because of the run plays with Allen to that point--had nothing to do with Beau
Beau shouldn't play until the game it out of hand--Allar needs the reps. You don't see any other contending team needing the change of pace--nor do we.
Well we'll respectfully disagree. First yiu said run plays with Allen. Did you mean Allar because Kaytron had a very average day. If you meant Allar's runs, none were designed runs so i would say his running had nothing to do with Beau's fake and pass. WVU bit on the fake QB draw because thats what Beau does 80% of the time. allar needing reps? This is likely his last year. If he doesn't get it now he ain't gonna get it.

Well we'll respectfully disagree. First yiu said run plays with Allen. Did you mean Allar because Kaytron had a very average day. If you meant Allar's runs, none were designed runs so i would say his running had nothing to do with Beau's fake and pass. WVU bit on the fake QB draw because thats what Beau does 80% of the time. allar needing reps? This is likely his last year. If he doesn't get it now he ain't gonna get it.
No, with Allen. Every time Allen was in our play-calling was predictable which set up that play. Not sure why you're confused by that
They didn't bite on anything with Beau
Allar, like every other starter, needs to take every snap--you just don't like Allar and love the dual threat BS instead of the potentially elite QB

They didn't bite on anything with Beau

Definitely a combination of both Allen on the Jet and Beau at QB. The lineman even pulls for what looks like QB Power. Excellent play design. Warren was open and scored. Fleming was open (FS in conflict).

Definitely a combination of both Allen on the Jet and Beau at QB. The lineman even pulls for what looks like QB Power. Excellent play design. Warren was open and scored. Fleming was open (FS in conflict).
Love the design but it was set up all day--I think even you said (could have been someone else) that the same play would have worked with Allar

Love the design but it was set up all day--I think even you said (could have been someone else) that the same play would have worked with Allar

Definitely could have worked with Allar, but when defenses see Beau at QB, they think run. AK did a really good job of trying to break that tendency. The 3rd down Speed Option Beau pitched to Singleton. A few hand offs vs Beau keeps.

Definitely could have worked with Allar, but when defenses see Beau at QB, they think run. AK did a really good job of trying to break that tendency. The 3rd down Speed Option Beau pitched to Singleton. A few hand offs vs Beau keeps.
That's part of why the initial 2-point conversion attempt was a good call ... Beau was in there and moving ... they thought run and, instead, he threw it. If only he had thrown it when the receiver was open, instead of waiting a few steps more until he was covered ...

Reactions: lazydave841
Nice post, Obli. I’m feeling very optimistic about the season after the WVU game. Penn State dominated that game on the road, but more than that, I saw the following:

Coach AK’s offensive schemes are the best I have seen at Penn State during the CJF era. What I like in particular is that the offense is designed to fit the skills of the players that we have.

Speaking of which, Allar is going to thrive in this system. I love seeing some swagger from Allar.

I do think that the players need to catch up to what this offense can do. Under Joepa, I got the impression that the offense was limited to what the players could execute well, whereas now it looks like we are going to run plays even if the kids haven’t yet fully mastered them yet. I’m ok with that.

This team can grow as the season progresses. The schedule is setting up well to accommodate that growth. We could be in for a fun season.

Game
QB
RBs/OL
  • Love Vega in motion.
  • TEs all looked good.
Defense
QB: I expect a monster season from Allar in his second full season starting with an offense that allows him to play more freely and not be in his own head so much obsessing about not turning the ball over. I really dislike the Pribula stuff. It’s too cute by half. Just focus on getting every snap you can for Allar, one of the top 5 QBs in the game this year.

RB/OL: Singleton will have a massive bounce back season. I think the OL will be better than previously thought and it will be very hard to keep Cousins off the field. Completely agree about not overdoing the trick stuff. It takes away from the rhythm of Allar and the offense.

D: What’s crazy is the secondary, as an overall unit might be as good as last year. Who would have thunk that losing Porter Jr. and King? Winston and Reed looked incredible and Harris could be a real shutdown CB. Ford could be that big DT we always look for and, yes, Rojas is the next great PSU LB.

Nice post, Obli. I’m feeling very optimistic about the season after the WVU game. Penn State dominated that game on the road, but more than that, I saw the following:

Coach AK’s offensive schemes are the best I have seen at Penn State during the CJF era. What I like in particular is that the offense is designed to fit the skills of the players that we have.

Speaking of which, Allar is going to thrive in this system. I love seeing some swagger from Allar.

I do think that the players need to catch up to what this offense can do. Under Joepa, I got the impression that the offense was limited to what the players could execute well, whereas now it looks like we are going to run plays even if the kids haven’t yet fully mastered them yet. I’m ok with that.

This team can grow as the season progresses. The schedule is setting up well to accommodate that growth. We could be in for a fun season.
Good point about scheme matching the players. Been complaining about that since the Hackenberg days. Been our biggest problem IMO.

Would prefer to have Drew lateral to Pribula and then a pass.

If the lateral to Drew they will expect a pass. With Pribula, they would likely expect him to run.

Also, I believe that Pribula is better able to handle the pitch and make a quick decision on run/pass. He has always been an option QB and is so wired.

Even doing do so once or twice will force defenses to play both and create hesitation in their minds.

Also forces teams to spend valuable time in practice and film study.

Reactions: RickinDayton

Perhaps moving forward, the 'rule' for our player being horse collar tackled should be: if you can't break free, then you fall down immediately to force the official to throw the flag.

Don't let them slow you up and the perform a legal tackle.

Based on what I've read and heard, in camp they track all the kicks. Whoever has the highest % gets the nod.

Sahaydak won the job last year and then missed 2 FGs vs WVU. That opened the door to last years kicker (his name escapes me).

This probably happens again, but I suspect they may split duties until one of them misses again in live action.
Correct, JF has said many times that they chart every kick in every practice. Seems the kid gets the yips in game time situation.

Reactions: lazydave841
Game
QB
RBs/OL
  • Love Vega in motion.
  • TEs all looked good.
Defense
My only concern with the defense is that I watched a lot of shoulder tackles rather than wrap/form tackles. I wonder if that has to do with fear of getting called for targeting.

My only concern with the defense is that I watched a lot of shoulder tackles rather than wrap/form tackles. I wonder if that has to do with fear of getting called for targeting.
Seems to be the thing in football. They are so focused on bringing out the wood they fail the primary objective.

I'll state again that I think WVA took themselves out of this game with the four fumbles in the first half. Not only did they lose the ball and/or lose valuable yardage but it set them back psychologically. Then when PSU scored to start the 3rd Qtr., nobody cared about the running game. I should add that their best RB got hurt and missed most of the 2nd quarter.

So while I was very pleased with our defense, our offense and WVU's self-inflicted wounds may have made them look better than they actually are.

Seems to be the thing in football. They are so focused on bringing out the wood they fail the primary objective.

I'll state again that I think WVA took themselves out of this game with the four fumbles in the first half. Not only did they lose the ball and/or lose valuable yardage but it set them back psychologically. Then when PSU scored to start the 3rd Qtr., nobody cared about the running game. I should add that their best RB got hurt and missed most of the 2nd quarter.

So while I was very pleased with our defense, our offense and WVU's self-inflicted wounds may have made them look better than they actually are.
Still trying to spin the narrative to match your completely inaccurate predictions, I see. WVU only lost 2 fumbles to our 1, so that's hardly insurmountable!

And the referees were HORRIBLE on Saturday, especially with regard to the WVU OL literally tackling our guys. So our defense was actually far more dominant than the stats showed.

With that said, everyone who wasn't trying to stir up board drama knows that WVU is not a team that will end up ranked higher than 20 (and likely lower), so expectations should be tempered. We were solid at all levels, so hopefully we can stay healthy and have a strong performance at USC (the first real quiz), and beyond.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT