ADVERTISEMENT

Observations on the rest of college football

Ceasar

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
As disappointed as we all are with the PSU run game, when you look around the country, our issues seem less significant than others. Clemson looks very pedestrian, USC got hammered at home by Oregon State, Florida State is 0-4. Oklahoma needed a late FG to beat WVU at home. A&M was dominated by Arkansas, which has now beaten Texas and TX A&M. Wisconsin looked awful, Auburn barely beat GA State and you have to love the post-game comments of the GA State coach who basically said the SEC refs saved AU.
In the Big 10, Michigan is undefeated but they have to be concerned. Their pass game is bordering on embarrassing. MSU did not look as good as I thought they might, I expect they are soon going to hit a rough spot and lose a few. Nebraska played very well and that loss, IMO, is going to push Frost closer to being out the door. They completely blew it at the end.
OSU obviously has some locker room issues with a kid quitting in mid game last night and the week before a player hit the transfer portal. I also wonder if there could soon by a QB controversy. I don't know how well McCord played but Stroud, despite gaudy numbers, has not been great.
Finally, I am struck by the lack of development of Mertz at Wiscy and Adrian Martinez at Nebraska. Mertz was so bad yesterday you almost wonder if he is gambling on these games! I have noticed he is also not shy about showing up his receivers if he thinks they did not run a route the way he expected. With Martinez, it is hard to believe he is coming to the end of his career and is basically the same player he was as a true FR four years ago; very athletic, good runner, but extremely inaccurate.
So for all of PSU's flaws, they are doing what they need to do to win and hopefully will continue to improve, especially the run game, over the next two week. The schedule is setting up beautifully with a bye after Iowa, then Illinois at home. before the trip to Columbus. Obviously we need to take the next two one at a time and take care of business. The Iowa game is shaping up like all of our games out there, PSU will be more athletic and more explosive and the issue will be can we get to 30 points. If we do, we will win comfortably. If it is a 17-14 type of game, we will be in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News