ADVERTISEMENT

Off Track-Best Fraternities at Penn State-recent grads

Vermilion

Sep 9, 2008
I know this is very subjective, but my son is an incoming Freshman and is planning to rush a fraternity. I was in one back in the mid 80's but according to him times have changed quite a bit in popularity. When I was there SAE, TKE, Beta Theta Pi, Sigma Pi and PIKA seemed to be the ones most kids wanted to get into and the sororities enjoyed partnering with for events.

Any recent grads out there who would be able to comment on their observations?

Thanks for any insight!

I know this is very subjective, but my son is an incoming Freshman and is planning to rush a fraternity. I was in one back in the mid 80's but according to him times have changed quite a bit in popularity. When I was there SAE, TKE, Beta Theta Pi, Sigma Pi and PIKA seemed to be the ones most kids wanted to get into and the sororities enjoyed partnering with for events.

Thanks for any insight!
Vermilion, you cannot be serious? What are the best fraternities? Based on what? Looks to me like you are teaching your son all the wrong values. Sounds like you are judging people based on "wealth" or "who their parents are and what they do" or who the girls think are "cool". I think if your son wants to join a fraternity he should go through Rush and join a group with guys who he feels comfortable with and who want him to be a member. Rush can be traumatic if he is trying to get into a group because of whatever reason and they reject him.

Thanks for any insight!
Graduated in 09 and was ACACIA. I loved it. Top 5 in THON. They just won the Bischoff Trophy (all around all sports trophy, think Directors Cup) last year again (something like 6 of 11 years we've won it). Fun parties and hot sororities.

What WPlion said is also sort of true though, in that he should look for himself where he fits in. ACACIA, Lambda Chi, and Sig Chi are good places to start (I had buddies in the other 2).

Agree with wplion 100% - the best advice is to tell your son to visit as many houses as he can and then focus on the ones he feels most comfortable with and most closely match his interests. I was in a fraternity that many would consider middle to bottom tier popularity-wise, but I have a core group of friends and remain best friends with them to this day. We have spread out across the country but still see each other 1-2 times per year. And I graduated in 2001.

Reactions: Nitt1300

Thanks for any insight!

Wait a minute. He's an incoming freshman (which means he started classes today) and he's already qualified to give an opinion on which fraternities are the most popular??

Reactions: LafayetteBear
Vermilion, you cannot be serious? What are the best fraternities? Based on what? Looks to me like you are teaching your son all the wrong values. Sounds like you are judging people based on "wealth" or "who their parents are and what they do" or who the girls think are "cool". I think if your son wants to join a fraternity he should go through Rush and join a group with guys who he feels comfortable with and who want him to be a member. Rush can be traumatic if he is trying to get into a group because of whatever reason and they reject him.

Welcome to the real world.

Interesting feedback and by no means am I pushing him into a specific fraternity, but just was looking for general comments and appreciate the information, especially the metrics bmw as that is one area I've provided insight into. Bischoff, Thon, academics, house upkeep, are some of the metrics, but obviously most important is the lifelong friendships and contacts he will make.

Also, my point exactly Lion8286- when I started there were all sorts of comments coming from every direction surrounding the fraternities and there's no way he can have a handle this early in the process!

Thanks again, and so looking forward to football!!!

Andy (now in MN)

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Agree with wplion 100% - the best advice is to tell your son to visit as many houses as he can and then focus on the ones he feels most comfortable with and most closely match his interests. I was in a fraternity that many would consider middle to bottom tier popularity-wise, but I have a core group of friends and remain best friends with them to this day. We have spread out across the country but still see each other 1-2 times per year. And I graduated in 2001.
Agree with both wplion and NittanyLionNation that your son should check out as many as possible and find the one with brothers that best match his personality. I wasted a ton of time rushing the fraternities that everyone said were the "name" fraternities at the time (Beta Theta Pi, SAE, Sigma Pi) and didn't really click with any of the brothers. I had a lot more fun at places like Pi Kap, Theta Chi and Sigma Chi and got bids to all three before picking Sigma Chi. I am life-long friends with many of my fraternity brothers and my only regret is that I didn't rush there sooner.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Are fraternities and sororities as popular as they were back in the 70's? Obviously I have not been an on-campus student for quit a few years, just curious.

I agree with wplion....labels be damned. Slow down, take your time and find a group of guys that you feel comfortable with.

IMO, no one should rush or pledge during the first semester. It's a recipe for disaster. My daughter has friends who are first semester freshmen at Alabama and they are already pledging....????? why the rush, pardon the pun? I rushed for an entire year before I decided.

BTW, Alabama has fraternities that are known as "non southerner" or "Yankee" fraternities. Kind of insane if you ask me.

Question? What is pledging like these days? Is it like it was 35 years ago or is it "kinder & gentler"? My pledge period lasted 10 weeks and the hell week was insane. The hazing & sleep deprivation experience makes me feel uncomfortable to this day.
Nittany Ned2, sorry to hear about the hazing. That is something I would not tolerate and (luckily) Sigma Chi did not haze when I pledged 33 years ago. My pledge class ended up pledging 13 weeks (which was longer than typical), but hell week was much more about mental stamina than it was physical. I do remember during hell week having an 8:00 am class that a brother was also in and looking everywhere for him as it started and, not seeing him, took a little nap during class. Wouldn't you know at line-up that night I got quite an ear-full about sleeping in class. Still have no idea where he was hiding!

Reactions: nagromth
Vermilion: Ranking fraternities in terms of social standing is a virtually impossible task. The matter is so subjective that it is a waste of time. Opinions will be all over the map, depending on who you talk to, and their personal biases.

Also, the fraternities who have socials with the most "popular" sororities are not necessarily going to be the ones with the best House GPA or the most members in student government, varsity athletics, etc. That seems particularly true of the PSU fraternities these days.

30+ years ago I rushed my first term when I transferred to main campus. Remember the opening scene in Animal House when Pinto and Flounder get pushed to the dweeb side of rushes? In some cases that was how I felt at several of the houses I rushed. Felt too clique-ish. All the guys seemed a bit too cookie-cutter in that they all seemed to dress and look the same,

I did join my fraternity and they were far from that type of crowd. Very casual (although Izod polos were frowned upon). We were close knit. Had fun parties. Still socialized with several of the sororities. And what is best is that they are still the best group of friends I have. We still tailgate together to this day. Had several of them at my wedding a few years ago. And best of all they rallied around me when I had my recent triple bypass. That's the type of fraternity brotherhood he should look for.

That's the best advice I can give.....

Brian (Lambda Chi Alpha '83)

Reactions: wplion
Nittany Ned2, sorry to hear about the hazing. That is something I would not tolerate and (luckily) Sigma Chi did not haze when I pledged 33 years ago. My pledge class ended up pledging 13 weeks (which was longer than typical), but hell week was much more about mental stamina than it was physical. I do remember during hell week having an 8:00 am class that a brother was also in and looking everywhere for him as it started and, not seeing him, took a little nap during class. Wouldn't you know at line-up that night I got quite an ear-full about sleeping in class. Still have no idea where he was hiding!
Many National Fraternities have banned hazing and are outspoken about it. However, it seems that all locals do not necessarily follow the policies of their national. My son pledged a fraternity at a large Southern University and it was eerily similar but actually worse than what I went through in the early 80's at Penn State. He told me that his experience was not as bad as some of his friends. I am not complaining, I enjoyed my experience very much (aside from the pledging part), just stating what still occurs.

I would make a list of what his priorities are in order (physical house, social standing, Thon, house GPA, IM sports, alumni connections in his field/major, etc) and do some research. From there, I would come up with a list of 5-7 fraternities and try to make it to all of them at least twice during the first month of school. Chances are he'll have friends from high school in a few of them, or he'll end up getting dragged to a few different places with guys on his floor.

I know this is very subjective, but my son is an incoming Freshman and is planning to rush a fraternity.

Ah yes, here it is week 1 at Penn State, and the recruitment process for frats has already started. There are information sessions this week, and then Zone Days next week.

IMHO, freshmen should hold off on pledging, as they know so little about the various frats, what's involved, etc., and are still learning the campus, how to live away from home, etc.

The flip side is that it's freshmen and sophs that have the most to gain from frats. For 99% of these classes, they are under 21, and frats are the best way they can get alcohol. Plus, there are the frequent socials with sororities, as well as parties. Once kids turn 21, the bars are available to them. Many of the over 21 frat members will go out to bars far more frequently than they'll go to frat parties, and a lot of seniors will move out of the frats and live in the frat's unofficial senior house.

Each frats has plusses and minuses. Things to consider include:
- where are they located (for factoring in how long it will take to get there for pledge activities, and in later years how long to get to classes)
- what's the house like
- can all pledges live in the house as sophs
- how long does pledging last
- what are the daily requirements for pledging
- what are the annual chapter dues
- are they open during the summer (most, but not all, are closed)
- are housing costs done on a semester basis or a yearly basis (important if your son elects to do a semester abroad as a junior)
- etc

I'd stress to your son that in many ways selecting a frat is like selecting a college. There are lots of options, and nobody knows which one is the right one for him, but if he checks a lot of them he'll know which one is the right fit for him.

Some frats put more emphasis on THON than do others. Some frats put more of an emphasis into the GPA competition than do others. Some frats put more of an emphasis into the inter-frat IM competitions (Bischoff Trophy) than do others. It's all a matter of what is more important to your son.

As for the best frats, that's far too subjective, and also changes over time. It's not the house that makes a frat -- it's the members in it, and since they change over time the frat also changes.

If your son knows any sophomore or junior girls at PSU, especially ones in sororities, they can probably provide more insight into the frats than anybody on this board. There are also online resources where frats are rated. There is a tier system of frats at PSU, though it's rather fluid, and also rather subjective, so I'll avoid offering any opinions on it.

Bids will be handed out this semester on Sep. 13th. If your son puts a good bit of time into researching the frats, and then spending time with the brothers at several frats he's interested in, he stands a good chance of getting a bid to a frat that interests him on that date.

I wish your son the best of luck

Reactions: hlstone
Ah yes, here it is week 1 at Penn State, and the recruitment process for frats has already started. ......................... ...........freshmen and sophs that have the most to gain from frats. For 99% of these classes, they are under 21, and frats are the best way they can get alcohol.

Minors drink "demon rum"? At Penn State?
open-mouth-surprised-smiley-emoticon.png

Thanks for any insight!

I highly recommend your son stay away from those places. I suspect they consume alcohol.

Joeparules, In hoc, graduated in 83. 400 E Prospect Ave Always a great place to visit. I go back now and again, I get back for the golf outing every few years. Set up a private mail.

Joeparules, In hoc, graduated in 83. 400 E Prospect Ave Always a great place to visit. I go back now and again, I get back for the golf outing every few years. Set up a private mail.
Right ahead of me ... Class of 85. Didn't make it to the golf outing this year, but was up the year before. Trying to figure out how to PM.

Right ahead of me ... Class of 85. Didn't make it to the golf outing this year, but was up the year before. Trying to figure out how to PM.
Sent you a "conversation". Check envelope, top right of the browser - reply and let me know how to connect. In hoc!

Trying to figure out how to PM.

nagromoth's earlier reply to wasn't all that clear.

on Rivals you have to be a PT subscriber to be able to PM another subscriber, hence you would not have been able to PM him. However, a PT subscriber can send a PM to a non-subscriber. since nagromoth sent you a message (see his later response), you should be able to converse privately with him through the site.

I am still an active alumni for my fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha and the guys are great guys, have a great GPA raised over 100k for Thon and are very popular socially...the membership numbers are strong and the house won a National Award this past year. I recommend that your son give us a try...good luck...lots of great houses.

I am still an active alumni for my fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha and the guys are great guys, have a great GPA raised over 100k for Thon and are very popular socially...the membership numbers are strong and the house won a National Award this past year. I recommend that your son give us a try...good luck...lots of great houses.
Still involved in and repping your fraternity. Well done, sir. Every fraternity needs more alums like you.

Reactions: massimoManca II
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT