ADVERTISEMENT

Official: Barkley now the 1ST Team kickoff returner

marisa45

Feb 2, 2007
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
giphy.gif

What is everyone on this board going to say when Saquon blows out a knee "returning kickoffs"?

Silence?

Don't blame me..........blame his "coach":rolleyes:

Reactions: marisa45
What is everyone on this board going to say when Saquon blows out a knee "returning kickoffs"?

Silence?

Maybe he shouldn't run or catch the ball either. Just put him in bubble wrap and sit him up in the coaches box during games.

Reactions: mn78psu83
For me it's not injury as much as thinking someone else (Thompkins?) might be a better option for potential big returns.

I mean, yea it's a bit scary cause he's such a huge part of the offense but I don't think he's our best option back there...imho.

Last edited:
One of the best traits of Say-Say, that isn't mentioned nearly often enough, and gets lost in the shuffle, is that he is very, very, VERY secure with the football, and that's very important on a kickoff return. I'm trying to recall, no wait, it's a PIECE OF CAKE to recall, Penn State, recently, hurt badly by a fumbled kickoff return. 2014 vs Maryland, when a fumbled kickoff return was a crucial reason for a loss. Last year we gave away the opening kickoff to Rutgers, which was of course not relevant, but could have been against a better team. A fumbled kickoff, for those of you from the old school "Della Valle/Astorino/Scirotto fair catch" school, is just as damaging as a fumbled punt return.

Right now, and yes it is far too early, but at the moment, Penn State has the #1 punt return man in the nation, and the #1 most talented running back in the nation, to return punts and kickoffs, respectively. They are dangerous, they are a weapon, and they are secure with the ball. If our Kickoff return unit can block better, lookout!

Silence?

What will everyone say when Saquon fall down the stairs on the way to class and breaks his ankle?

Silence?

I blame PeetzPoolBoy...he probably pushed him to prove and idiotic point.

What will everyone say when Saquon fall down the stairs on the way to class and breaks his ankle?

From a standpoint based on probability and statistics, Saquon falling down the stairs and suffering a season (or career) ending injury is far far far less than returning kickoffs, which is wholely the decision of this "WTF coaching staff".

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharkies
Reactions: marisa45 and Nitwit
I suppose he should not practice...... that is idiotic.
We all know that "practices" are largely "non-contact" (have you seen the non- tackling lately, but I digress).

Breaking news.....opposing teams want to win even if it requires taking debilitating shots at opposing players, especially the better ones.

Why would a "franchise" (yes, PSU is a franchise) risk their best player to the competitive impulses of an entire kicking squad?

Because James Franklin is an idiot.....a "Pure Genius":rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is stupid. We just had a kick-six with thompkins didn't we?
Our fan base is one of the most knowledgeable in all of football, but a small percentage of them, goes full retard when it comes to special teams. Still unclear as to why.

Our fan base is one of the most knowledgeable in all of football, but a small percentage of them, goes full retard when it comes to special teams. Still unclear as to why.
That was almost the best post I read of yours. The retard thing wasn't cool, but certainly helped make the otherwise totally valid point.

Reactions: Hellspite
That was almost the best post I read of yours. The retard thing wasn't cool, but certainly helped make the otherwise totally valid point.
I apologize for the use of that word. I was being lazy, and didn't mean any harm, I couldn't come up with a more clear way to make the point. Again, sorry.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
We didn't even have a special teams coach until recently. So there's that. We've had some good kickers and punters over the years, who mostly kept a low profile (except if they missed a kick), but I don't think special teams is something we're used to focusing on. Like it just magically happens or something. LOL

We all know that "practices" are largely "non-contact" (have you seen the non- tackling lately, but I digress).

Breaking news.....opposing teams want to win even if it requires taking debilitating shots at opposing players, especially the better ones.

Why would a "franchise" (yes, PSU is a franchise) risk their best player to the competitive impulses of an entire kicking squad?

Because James Franklin is an idiot.....a "Pure Genius":rolleyes:

Breaking news... PeetzPoolBoy is a girl. Pathetic. '...the competitive impulses of an entire kicking squad?' How Phucking delusional are you? Since 1892.... your wildest delusion has not come to pass.

Perhaps we should ban Saquon from riding home on the PA turnpike. Time to put your pussy talk on ignore.

Take those pills Marisa ....
I just put it out there.........Jeez Rip. It's funny.

But since since you insist on the horns, here you go.......no matter how much you try to shout everyone down, it is an actual issue and a valid topic of conversation.. It has nothing to do with the quality of player or even getting hurt. Hell, if we had DeSean Jackson I'd put him out there on kickoffs every time....but the whole offense would not run through DeSean Jackson. Make no bones about it, either as a decoy or actual production, this offense runs through Saquon Barkley. If you don't believe it, take a look at his percentage of snaps and how many times he's not on the field, hell we can't even get him out of the game when we want to. He can just stand there and do nothing for 10 snaps and every player on the field would still be looking at him after every snap!

Ask yourself this, if Tom Brady (the franchise) was a super good athlete capable of taking 1 in 10 kickoffs to the house do you think Bill Bellicheck would put him out there......absolutely not!! Tom Brady is probably worth 5 touchdowns a game either directly or indirectly. The best thing that could happen is he scores a couple of touchdowns on the year! The worst possible thing is he gets injured in what many would consider an unnecessary role.

The criticism would come down hard on Franklin (and it would be warranted), very hard indeed......that is what many would consider an unnecessary risk to your star player and your own reputation, which doesn't do much for the perception of your coaching ability or that of your basic intelligence. And if you think the analogy is invalid, we're not just talking about the best player on the team but possibly our best player in a generation.

You people talking about bubble wrap and all that other crap were saying the same thing when I suggested he be held out of the B/W game two years ago. Well two B/W games and this year's training camp later with little to no contact would suggest Franklin decided otherwise. Why he made this decision now with the amount of talent on this team makes no sense to me.

So call me a retard if you want, I just hope you're helping his mom pay for that insurance policy she took out and are there to help make up the millions he would lose if he gets injured.

Last edited:
Derrick Williams was returning kickoffs and punts. Don't remember any outcry. That being said it does make me nervous.

He's at a greater risk during one of his airborne, jumping a defender moments.

He got tackled pretty rough on them two swing passes he caught vs Pitt as well.

A lot of times, his leg gets pulled by tacklers on the ground as he tries to escape and make a play.

His style of play is riskier than average. His ability to take any touch to end zone is elite. The staff is on board with trying to get him (and the school) a Heisman. Additionally, it's sound strategy: get the ball in your best player's hands as often as you can. Some of you all act like this is uncharted territory. It's not.

After eliminating the injury narrative, why is this a bad thing?
Because there is no eliminating the injury narrative and if it happened it would become a dominating narrative. The sort of thing coaches live with forever.

Last edited:
He's at a greater risk during one of his airborne, jumping a defender moments.

He got tackled pretty rough on them two swing passes he caught vs Pitt as well.

A lot of times, his leg gets pulled by tacklers on the ground as he tries to escape and make a play.

His style of play is riskier than average. His ability to take any touch to end zone is elite. The staff is on board with trying to get him (and the school) a Heisman. Additionally, it's sound strategy: get the ball in your best player's hands as often as you can. Some of you all act like this is uncharted territory. It's not.
I disagree, his primary injuries are to his ankles mostly due to his own "break your ankles" moves. How many kick returners do it for years and years, not many......and many eventually end up with a concussion sometime in their career.

Saquon is a pretty durable back because he's hard to hit straight up. How many full on blows have you seen him take? Not many, in fact, I don't thing he's ever really had his bell rung. The jumping over people is instinctual......He's doing it less because guys are throwing their hands up as they go to the ground (they've seen enough tape).

Its a little different when the players are sprinting at you at 20 miles per hour trying to take your hear off. Hell DeAndre almost got his bell rung against Pitt. For a minute there, I thought he did. What type of reaction do you think fans would have if it happened to Barkley?

And the Heisman thing is more for the organization (and the fans) than the player. No player would jeopardize what could be a brilliant career in the NFL for an award. I really hope that isn't what this about. Besides, there's almost a sense to stay away from Heisman winners; so many turn into busts at the next level.

Last edited:
I disagree, his primary injuries are to his ankles mostly due to his own "break your ankles" moves. How many kick returners do it for years and years, not many......and many eventually end up with a concussion sometime in their career.

Saquon is a pretty durable back because he's hard to hit straight up. How many full on blows have you seen him take? Not many, in fact, I don't thing he's ever really had his bell rung. The jumping over people is instinctual......He's doing it less because guys are throwing their hands up as they go to the ground (they've seen enough tape).

Its a little different when the players are sprinting at you at 20 miles per hour trying to take your hear off. Hell DeAndre almost got his bell rung against Pitt. For a minute there, I thought he did. What type of reaction do you think fans would have if it happened to Barkley?

And the Heisman thing is more for the organization (and the fans) than the player. No player would jeopardize what could be a brilliant career in the NFL for an award. I really hope that isn't what this about. Besides, there's almost a sense to stay away from Heisman winners; so many turn into busts at the next level.

There is only two views that matter at the end of it all:

1) you want Penn State to compete for a national title and hope the coaches maximize Barkley in an effort to do so

2) you want Barkley to save himself for the NFL so he can get his payday

If getting to the NFL is what is most important, Barkley should simply sit out the rest of the season and train for the combine. Myself, the rules should be changed to where he could have turned pro if he so desired. It currently does not exist.

Barkley is no different than Thomkins. Put your best on the field. If Barkley can rush a punt and block one, just one, this year, DO IT. There are no guarantees that we will be in contention for a playoff in the future. You have to optimize the teams chances.

Here is why I'm opposed to Barkley returning kicks:
  1. SB isn't more likely to get injured returning kicks compared to being tailback, but it does increase the risk of injury.
  2. I'd prefer he'd get the ball more as a running back before returning kicks.
  3. On kickoffs there is the added risk due to an opposing player seeking out SB to hit (legally) similar to Joe Julius last year.
  4. An alternate concern is having him block on kickoffs. If ball goes to someone else I don't see SB just standing by. He's the type of player that is going to want to block.
  5. I could see having him back there if there was no reasonable alternative, but this team has other players who could do a comparable job. What is the added value (e.g. field position) having SB return kicks to say Sanders?
  6. Comparing this to NFL is apples and oranges. The pros have smaller roster size limiting options, and there are fewer returrns in the pros.

Reactions: dsites52
There is only two views that matter at the end of it all:

1) you want Penn State to compete for a national title and hope the coaches maximize Barkley in an effort to do so

2) you want Barkley to save himself for the NFL so he can get his payday

If getting to the NFL is what is most important, Barkley should simply sit out the rest of the season and train for the combine. Myself, the rules should be changed to where he could have turned pro if he so desired. It currently does not exist.

Barkley is no different than Thomkins. Put your best on the field. If Barkley can rush a punt and block one, just one, this year, DO IT. There are no guarantees that we will be in contention for a playoff in the future. You have to optimize the teams chances.

Um, no. You are forgetting, probably intentionally, a third option. The third option is probably the most stated on this thread. You don't use Barkley on kickoff returns because he is simply too important as a Runningback, Pass Catcher, Blocker, and Decoy in JoeMo's offense. You use one of a veritable gluttony of 4 star athletes to return the football and take that type of abuse while protecting Barkley and his most important role on your offense. In addition to protecting him, he actually is not that impressive returning the football. He is impatient and runs up into his blockers, he really has not developed a skill set that nearly replicates his ability as a runningback, so why risk injury? So this does not have to do with the NFL nor does it have to do with "maximizing" Barkley to win a national championship. We are not winning a national championship by having Barkley return kickoffs, or sub in at offensive tackle, or maybe be the Gunner on the kickoff team. Maximizing Barkley is a stupid concept. He is maximized in this offense and he will take abuse this year because teams will be run blitzing him to all Hell. Save his legs and limit hits as much as possible, option 3, and I vote for it.

Guys, guys, enough debating this. We are into Week 3 with Barkley as the lead kickoff returner. Obviously Franklin has gotten 21 gums' approval for this. This is obviously the right decision. Move on.

This is stupid. We just had a kick-six with thompkins didn't we?
Punt returns and kickoff returns are not the same skill set. Punt returners need to be shifty, quick, etc. while KO returners are better when they can break tackles while still being fast.

Um, no. You are forgetting, probably intentionally, a third option. The third option is probably the most stated on this thread. You don't use Barkley on kickoff returns because he is simply too important as a Runningback, Pass Catcher, Blocker, and Decoy in JoeMo's offense. You use one of a veritable gluttony of 4 star athletes to return the football and take that type of abuse while protecting Barkley and his most important role on your offense. In addition to protecting him, he actually is not that impressive returning the football. He is impatient and runs up into his blockers, he really has not developed a skill set that nearly replicates his ability as a runningback, so why risk injury? So this does not have to do with the NFL nor does it have to do with "maximizing" Barkley to win a national championship. We are not winning a national championship by having Barkley return kickoffs, or sub in at offensive tackle, or maybe be the Gunner on the kickoff team. Maximizing Barkley is a stupid concept. He is maximized in this offense and he will take abuse this year because teams will be run blitzing him to all Hell. Save his legs and limit hits as much as possible, option 3, and I vote for it.

Exactly!
I would also add it's a perfect opportunity for Miles Sanders to prove himself. Especially against GA State. Now if yinzers see 'coach' tell him to get 'er done!

One day after the end of the 2015 season, Charles Huff took out a piece of Penn State stationery and, using dark black ink, scribbled down a number: 2,037.

That number — the Nittany Lions’ single-season rushing record, set in 2002 by former All-America running back Larry Johnson — now sits in plain sight on Huff’s desk, in the small space between his keyboard and computer monitor. It jogs his memory every time he logs on, sends an email or posts a tweet.

I’ve got work to do, it says — not in so many words, but that’s what it implies: Huff, the Nittany Lions’ running backs coach, must keep pace with his star pupil, junior Saquon Barkley.

Barkley has goals: “I want to break records,” he said this spring from a seat inside Penn State’s football offices, hours after completing another early morning offseason workout. “One of my goals when I got here was I wanted to break every single running back record before I left this place.”

Barkley needs drills. So Huff will comb through tape: that of NFL teams, of NFL-style drills, of Penn State’s own practices and games, of opponents and rivals on the college level.

Barkley is getting better — adding another 5 pounds to his already muscular frame since the end of last season; running a blazing, check-your-stopwatch 4.33 40-yard dash in a video released by the Nittany Lions earlier this year; and power cleaning 390 pounds, a moment memorialized in a near-viral video, to tie the program’s individual record.

Barkley challenges Huff. Huff challenges Barkley. “He wants it all,” Huff said. “So for me as his coach, I can’t come and not have a great day or come and not be prepared. Every single day. So I don’t want to be in that position as his coach where I don’t have something.”

Two seasons after Barkley’s college debut, his position coach tells the team’s fellow running backs: You’ve got the opportunity to train and compete with the best in the country at his position — or, as he offers in another metaphor, embrace the chance to spar with college football’s Floyd Mayweather while you can.

“I want to be the best player on the team,” Barkley said. “I want to be the best player in the country. When it comes to situations where somebody needs to make a play, I want to be that guy. You just put your mind to it and you can do it, but you’ve got to work for it.”

Article from 4/10/2017. Read more here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...te-saquon-barkley-wants-all-records/99728676/

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT